Phillip Ely Transferring to Toledo

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Best of luck to Phillip. Any chance we would now give the scholly he had to Luke Del Rio?
For a 'Walk On'... Luke Del Rio seemed to be pretty polished at A-Day. IMO we are likely to see LDR on our 'Scout Team' early on. I understand he can't play this year??? Isn't it amazing how a coaches son, gets breaks, considering Luke has been taught by Dad and others, Dad has sent Luke to high dollar clinics and schools. Luke has worked hard, and suddenly it seems like things break his way. Funny how a combination of 'Preparation, Inspiration, and Perspiration' produces results. I'd like to see him on scholarship too.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If Del Rio plays in 2013 or 2014, he counts against our 85 limit even though Jack's paying the bills. If we've already signed 25 this year, there is no way we could put him on scholarship anyway.

Good luck in the future, Philip.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
He is a good kid from a good family, he never played the hat game while being recruited. He wants to play but he just does not have a way to fit at Bama with all the talent.

It seems to me that the way this was handled is the usual way for CNS. Im sure he wanted to help the kid. Class all the way around.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I wish him well at Toledo and will be interested in following him along the way.

In looking over their team, they finished 9-4 in '13. Their QB is a pretty good passer, a Sr for 2013. It looks like Phillip can move right into the position if he catches on the system during his year to wait. Seems he was looking at some other big name schools but settled on the Rockets. CNS probably had a hand in getting him in a that particular school, where he'd fit well.

Have a great career at Toledo, Phillip, and thanks for your contributions while a Tider.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Once CNS learned Ely intended to transfer, I wonder if he got the staff to survey D1 schools to see who had a veteran QB that Ely likely could step in for if he worked hard and gave the list to him and his parents and made calls on his behalf. If so, that would be really classy.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm sure PE was not only looking at the present roster, but he was also looking at our possible signees. The depth chart wasn't getting better for him - it was almost certainly going to get worse. I'm sure Saban helped him with the transfer...

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Best of luck to him for sure! Gotta love a guy that comes in, puts in his work, and keeps his nose clean. Here's hoping he has a great career at Toledo!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If we've already signed 25 this year, there is no way we could put him on scholarship anyway.
Are we sure how that works? Couldn't walk-ons be a way around the 25 signing limit the SEC imposed? You can only give out 25 scholarships per year, according to NCAA rules, but a single academic causality can drop that to 24, while the SEC's signing limit is still imposed.

It seems to me that if you play a walk-on, and still have to count against the scholarship numbers, it shouldn't count against the signing limit, since he was never actually signed. If they're going to function as two separate things otherwise, why wouldn't they continue to do so? Anyway, I think the incentive weighs heavily toward using Luke as as redshirt sophomore. Blake Sims will be graduated, AJ will be gone, and he can make a run at the starting job without impacting the numbers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.