Phillip Ely Transferring to Toledo

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Are we sure how that works? Couldn't walk-ons be a way around the 25 signing limit the SEC imposed? You can only give out 25 scholarships per year, according to NCAA rules, but a single academic causality can drop that to 24, while the SEC's signing limit is still imposed.

It seems to me that if you play a walk-on, and still have to count against the scholarship numbers, it shouldn't count against the signing limit, since he was never actually signed. If they're going to function as two separate things otherwise, why wouldn't they continue to do so? Anyway, I think the incentive weighs heavily toward using Luke as as redshirt sophomore. Blake Sims will be graduated, AJ will be gone, and he can make a run at the starting job without impacting the numbers.
Del Rio gets the title of "invited walk-on." A guy like Will Lowery, who showed up for fall camp and tried out does not get that title. Because Luke is an invited walk-on, he would count towards the signing class of this year if he plays his first two years on campus. This prevents a school from truly oversigning by getting 25 signees plus a 5*, who can afford his scholarship to walk-on and play right-a-way.

Your scenario, though, is what I was wondering. Because of the wording of the SEC rule, one would believe Alabama could use Ely's scholarship and give to Del Rio. That is, however, if there are not already 85 scholarship players. Jim Dunaway tweeted yesterday he counted 85 after Ely's transfer. If the two recruits yet to arrive on campus do not qualify, Del Rio may become a scholarship player if I understand the SEC rule.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Del Rio gets the title of "invited walk-on." A guy like Will Lowery, who showed up for fall camp and tried out does not get that title. Because Luke is an invited walk-on, he would count towards the signing class of this year if he plays his first two years on campus. This prevents a school from truly oversigning by getting 25 signees plus a 5*, who can afford his scholarship to walk-on and play right-a-way.

Your scenario, though, is what I was wondering. Because of the wording of the SEC rule, one would believe Alabama could use Ely's scholarship and give to Del Rio. That is, however, if there are not already 85 scholarship players. Jim Dunaway tweeted yesterday he counted 85 after Ely's transfer. If the two recruits yet to arrive on campus do not qualify, Del Rio may become a scholarship player if I understand the SEC rule.
I may be wrong, so this can be filed under SWAGs, but I think that the del Rios were told that, because of our extremely tight numbers, there was no way on earth, short of disaster - or his placing himself head and shoulders above the others - that he would play his first couple of seasons. JMHO...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
With all the greyshirting, back counting and other exceptions to the 85 limit, I gave up trying to understanding the scholarship number rules a long time ago. As long as Saban and Battle understand the rules, that's all I care about.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Please show me this rule...I have taled to a D II conference commissioner and he knows nothing of this. The only time I have heard of this was with a Bryant scholarship...those had to wait 2 years or count.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Please show me this rule...I have taled to a D II conference commissioner and he knows nothing of this. The only time I have heard of this was with a Bryant scholarship...those had to wait 2 years or count.
I find that amazing. The invited walkon is a well-known rule. The Bryant scholarship kids just happen to fall under it and also other sports schollies, plus academic, etc. schollies. I remember when it was instituted as one of the several anti-Bryant rules. At that time, the Bryant scholarships didn't even exist. I've had to dig this up and post it before, but, when I have time, I will...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I find that amazing. The invited walkon is a well-known rule. The Bryant scholarship kids just happen to fall under it and also other sports schollies, plus academic, etc. schollies. I remember when it was instituted as one of the several anti-Bryant rules. At that time, the Bryant scholarships didn't even exist. I've had to dig this up and post it before, but, when I have time, I will...
Bylaw 15.5.6.3.4 might be the rule:

Nonrecruited Student-Athlete Receiving Institutional Financial Aid. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) by the institution who receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) after beginning football practice becomes a counter but need not be counted as an initial counter until the next academic year if the institution has reached its initial limit for the year in question. However, the student-athlete shall be considered in the total counter limit for the academic year in which the aid was first received. (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I've talked to John Infante, the writer of Bylaw Blog. He said this: If a FB player was recruited, receives non-athletics aid from the school, and plays (in any year) he counts against the 85. He also said Bylaw 15.5.6.3.4 deals with the 25 limit.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Nonrecruited Student-Athlete Receiving Institutional Financial Aid. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) by the institution who receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) after beginning football practice becomes a counter but need not be counted as an initial counter until the next academic year if the institution has reached its initial limit for the year in question. However, the student-athlete shall be considered in the total counter limit for the academic year in which the aid was first received. (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

Note here: the athlete receives financial aid. We are talking about walk-ons. The invited aspect has to do with the 105 limit from my understanding...not the 85. I could be wrong...it happened once...

toledotider

Mar 13, 2011
News of an Alabama quarterback transferring to Toledo certainly has created quite a buzz around here. Everyone up here knows I’m a big Tide fan, and all have been asking me questions about Phillip Ely.
I’ve told them that he seems to be a quality young man and a talented QB, but just not likely to see any quality playing time at Bama due to the surrounding talent on the team. He should be a good pick up for the Rockets. Everyone sees it as a win–win–win: good for UT, good for Phillip and good for UA
Apparently, the word is that Coach Saban was very helpful and in some way assisted in this transfer. Everyone is speaking very highly of CNS up here, and that is great to hear.
Welcome to Toledo, Phillip. Wish you lots of luck. There are a lot of good things here, but I’m guessing you will not like the winters.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Announced yesterday that Ely won the starting job. Link

Good for him, I wish him the best. That is great that he battled for it and won the starting. Proud of our former Bama player.

looks like his game will be on espn3, I will try to catch a little to see how he does.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.