Don't use the C or H words when referring to me....

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Snyder, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, the other 31 team owners and FexEx president and CEO Frederick Smith, whose company has naming rights to the Redskins' stadium, were sent a letter from 10 U.S. representatives requesting the team abandon a name that "Native Americans throughout the country consider the 'R-word' a racial, derogatory slur akin to the 'N-word' among African Americans or the 'W-word' among Latinos."
W word?

I noticed derogatory terms for Asians weren't used as examples. Maybe that's because Asians tend to focus on getting an education and being very productive instead of looking to be victims.

"The usage of the (R-word) is especially harmful to Native American youth, tending to lower their sense of dignity and self-esteem. It also diminishes feelings of community worth among the Native American tribes and dampens the aspirations of their people."
Much more harmful to Native Americans than a football team's nickname has been government policies of extermination followed by policies of segregation and dependency.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Colin Cowherd "called out" the native americans that were pushing for the name change for not knowing their own history. According to Cowherd who also had an expert guest on to confirm what he was saying. The name "Redskin" was originated BY NATIVE AMERICANS as a term of honor. It was not originated by the honkies for derogatory intent.

Things like this are about as stupid as they can be. I wonder why I don't get that upset and angry when I've been called "Hey white BOY", "Cracker" or even "Honky"? It doesn't bother me. I don't put my self worth into what someone from another race says or thinks. I guess it's all that self confidence and swag I gots. :biggrin:

Last edited:

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
So we have people who are offended on behalf of other people? Isn't that a little presumptuous?

Can I be picky and point out that the letter was signed by 7 Representatives and 3 non-voting delegates? I particularly enjoy "Donna M. Christensen of the Virginia Islands".

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I'm still trying to figure out who decided that we're entitled to never be offended by anything anyone says. I'm also trying to decide which lawyer/politician/special-interest group I need to contact; as the shortest guy in a HS class of nearly 700, there are 12 years' worth of words hurled my way that someone needs to pay for, apparently. Who knew that I was supposed to be so grossly offended back in the day? In fact, my ancestors were Scotch-Irish on one side & south European on the other. Pretty sure there are a few hundred years of verbal insults I need to be compensated for on behalf of long-deceased ancestors.

So, where's my money?

(Of course, I'm so smokin' hot that I probably owe $$ to some HS classmates for damaging their self-esteem just by showing up...) :p

p.s. - to be clear, the 12-year comment doesn't apply to my HS time; even I got thru HS in the normal time. 12 years covers from 1st - 12th grade. ;)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Other names that are now out include:
Chiefs
Cowboys
Saints
49ers
Giants
Packers
Patriots
Titans
Oilers
The only names not affected are those that are represented by animals, Falcons, Bengals, Jaguars, Seahawks, etc. Next the animal rights activists will protest to congress. The teams will then resort to numbers as identification like the Super Bowl will feature No.12 vs No. 3. Problem solved.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
The only names not affected are those that are represented by animals, Falcons, Bengals, Jaguars, Seahawks, etc. Next the animal rights activists will protest to congress. The teams will then resort to numbers as identification like the Super Bowl will feature No.12 vs No. 3. Problem solved.
What about the mythical animals? Maybe when we have teams like The Sasquatches, The Nessies, the Goblins, then Bigfoot shows up and is righteously angered at our insensitivity.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Once again I offer the proposal I've had on the table since 1996 - we'll change all the sports team names AND we'll also make sure no other exploitation occurs by changing the names of every state, county, city, and town with Native American names. 25 of the states including Alabama must be renamed.

If you don't favor that then shut your hypocritical mouth.

(This honky tends to find names like Fighting Irish and Celtics to be demeaning. What's that? Oh that sounds ridiculous, right? Point made)

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Growing up in the 1950's, we sure played a lot of Cowboys vs Indians. Do the Cowboys need to change their name? Is the name Cowboys offensive also?

How about the Cleveland Indians? Can you say the word Indians? Is it an American Indian or an India Indian? Cleveland needs to be specific on what Indians they are offending. How about Indiana or Alabama or Minnesota or Dakota or Ohio or Illinois or Utah, etc.? Are these states names' offensive?

By the way, what were these people called before someone thought they had arrived near India and called them Indians?

Is Tigers offensive to tigers, etc.?

The only legitimate name for any team is The Crimson Tide!

How did Honkies get to be called Honkies and Crackers? Why didn't Atlanta keep the old name Atlanta Crackers when Milwaukee move there many moons ago? Was that offensive to Honkies, I mean Crackers?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Other names that are now out include:
Chiefs
Cowboys
Saints
49ers
Giants
Packers
Patriots
Titans
Oilers
Now, don't be offending any numbers!

Instead of naming them the Washington Bureaucrats, how about the Washington National Debt! Oh well, that could offend the next generation!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Once again I offer the proposal I've had on the table since 1996 - we'll change all the sports team names AND we'll also make sure no other exploitation occurs by changing the names of every state, county, city, and town with Native American names. 25 of the states including Alabama must be renamed.

If you don't favor that then shut your hypocritical mouth.

(This honky tends to find names like Fighting Irish and Celtics to be demeaning. What's that? Oh that sounds ridiculous, right? Point made)
Hey! I'm Irish and I get fighting mad when I hear about the Fightin' Irish unless they are talking about a score like Alabama Crimson Tide 42 ND Fightin' Irish 14!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.