OSU President Gordon Gee Makes Some Not Very Nice Comments, to retire 7/1/13

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Re: OSU President Gordon Gee Makes Some Not Very Nice Comments

He also takes a swipe at the SEC

[/FONT][/COLOR]
Guys just a typical big mouthed jerk. We`ve all encountered them in life. All the education in the world can`t cover it up if you`re just an ......

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Part of his ability to fund raise so prolifically is his propensity to pop off at the mouth.

It's like these coaches that talk trash at these alumni meetings. They don't believe half the crap they spew but it gets the fan base energized and the money flows.

The problem with all that is, this guy is the University president, not the OL coach. Like I said though... he's OSU's problem.

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL

Who cares what he says? Talk is cheap and in this case it means nothing. As far as football is concerned, Bama and the whole SEC will do their talking on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012

The most ironic thing about Gee's comments is the fact that Urban Meyer is Catholic, and OSU's AD is from Notre Dame. Go figure.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The letter lauds Gee as a speaker and president, “However, on occasion your words that may be intended to bring a bit of levity to some significant issue have, in fact, had the opposite effect,” it says.

Signed by Board Chairman Robert H. Schottenstein and Trustee Alex Shumate, the letter puts Gee on notice that inappropriate comments must stop.

“Although none of us expects this to be the case, should future instances take place, they could constitute cause for even more punitive action, including dismissal, and the board will have no choice but to take such action.”
Link here

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Note that, as I said before, OSU took action long before the media got this story out there. The written reprimand was signed back in March. It also appears that Gee may be on a shorter leash than I expected.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Note that, as I said before, OSU took action long before the media got this story out there. The written reprimand was signed back in March. It also appears that Gee may be on a shorter leash than I expected.
If this was his first blunder, I wouldn't expect a short leash. However, he's made too many comments in the past.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN

All numbers are relative. You do realize that Alabama only ranks 42nd in the country in per capita income? Then look at the football budget and the overall donor base. Then look at other figures, such as which university has more National Merit scholars than any other public university. (Yes, he even has an impact on that.) More than half our student body comes from out of state and pay a horrendous tuition for it. Before the NC game, I got into an exchange with a young law student who'd graduated at ND. He is in law school at OSU. The reason - he couldn't get into his first choice - Alabama. Those of us who've been around a while understand the equation. To get a true comparison, we'd have to see what Gee could have done at Bama. I think most of us know the answer...
I can attest to that. My daughter Stephie got academic scollys, but her student loans are still a lot. Thank goodness she graduated in 3 yrs last May and is taking her last class now for her Master's. This last year she is an in state resident, so she got some relief!

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Well, well... Being a President @ OSU in the Big Ten he is probably completely familiar with the business strategy of the Big Ten. Indeed, if so, this numbskull basically gave away the battle plan for Big Ten conference expansion - They have every intention of moving South and West with expansion and dont mind one bit poaching from another conference. While I think we already knew that - its out there for public consumption now. What I wonder is his comments will have an indirect frustration on the Big Ten's expansion plans? While those inside the walls may be elitist, I doubt the fanbases of UNC, UVa, and Duke really identify with the apparent discriminatory bias of the Big Ten schools. It also doesnt look too hopeful now for the Big Ten adding ND to the conference. Sure the Big Ten can come out and say his remarks are not endorsed by the conference but who will really believe that same level of sentiment wasnt vocalized in private meetings about conference expansion?

Seriously, his comments should consolidate and re-energize the leadership of the SEC about future expansion if for nothing more than trying to keep the Big Ten from becoming the Roman Empire. If the ACC at some point does break up you can almost bank on GaTech being in the Big Ten. While I am not too worried about them from a competitive standpoint - it does bother me with the recruiting tension in the area having to compete with the Big Ten in traditional southern school recruiting territory.

This windbag gave us all the bulletin board material we need for whipping OSU's butt in January...

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Well, well... Being a President @ OSU in the Big Ten he is probably completely familiar with the business strategy of the Big Ten. Indeed, if so, this numbskull basically gave away the battle plan for Big Ten conference expansion - They have every intention of moving South and West with expansion and dont mind one bit poaching from another conference. While I think we already knew that - its out there for public consumption now. What I wonder is his comments will have an indirect frustration on the Big Ten's expansion plans? While those inside the walls may be elitist, I doubt the fanbases of UNC, UVa, and Duke really identify with the apparent discriminatory bias of the Big Ten schools. It also doesnt look too hopeful now for the Big Ten adding ND to the conference. Sure the Big Ten can come out and say his remarks are not endorsed by the conference but whol will really believe that same level of sentiment was vocalized in private meetings about conference expansion?

Seriously, his comments should consolidate and re-energize the leadership of the SEC about future expansion if for nothing more than trying to keep the Big Ten from becoming the Roman Empire. If the ACC at some point does break up you almost bank on GaTech being in the Big Ten. While I am too worried about them from a competitive standpoint - it does bother me with the recruiting tension in the area having to compete with the Big Ten in traditional southern school recruiting territory.

This windbag gave us all the bulletin board material we need for whipping OSU's butt in January.
This revelation has actually made me pull for the Notre Dame/ACC marriage to be successful. Notre Dame stabilized the ACC's membership. Of course, they've all now signed their rights away for several years so that helps too.

I found it interesting that he still seems to think the Big Ten could have Missouri if they wanted them.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

This revelation has actually made me pull for the Notre Dame/ACC marriage to be successful. Notre Dame stabilized the ACC's membership. Of course, they've all now signed their rights away for several years so that helps too.

I found it interesting that he still seems to think the Big Ten could have Missouri if they wanted them.
Yeah, while it is easy to write off what he says I would not be inclined to do so. If you were going to take a vote, who would expect to be least committed to the conference? Mizzou. Suffice it to say they will probably be a good economic addition to the conference, but they are totally ill-equipped to compete in our conference in almost any sport save basketball. Really and truly I question how competitive they would even be in the Big Ten.

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

So I gather he believes the Big Ten can and should steal Missouri from the SEC and Kansas from the Big 12. I suppose it's possible but unlikely in the case of Missouri now. I think that ship sailed.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Missouri wanted the Big Ten and would have been a better fit there, but I don't see them leaving now.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

Someone from tOSU is running his mouth? Interesting.

Incidentally, how have the Notre Dame folks been talking since January?

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL

Fortunately being from the south I'm unable to realize how stupid I am, otherwise I might take offense to GG's verbal assault.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.