Phil Steele's Top 40 for 2013

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I like Phil's picks but I don't agree with this. Florida & LSU are top 10 teams. I think the Louisville game will motivate the Gators & LSU has not slipped at all in recruiting.

I hope they have OSU #1 at the start.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I might give you Florida. Not LSU. They lost too much talent to the draft. Gonna be a work in process on their D.
By the same token Florida will most likely have an inept offense again. They lost their top rb and their only real receiver in reid. Go look at their receiving stats from last year it is scary. Florida also lost several great players on d. They are the team I think falls back to earth next year.

Lsu has a very hard schedule playing uf and uga out of the east plus tcu to open. I think this ranking is pretty accurate for them. If mett gets it together and hill returns (both big ifs) they could have a very solid offense. I give them the benefit of the doubt on d like I do with bama until I see otherwise.

Steele is very good at prognosticating, I find him to be the best by far.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I see someone tweeted a picture of Phil's top 15 in the magazine. He has us #1. I'm shocked at his #4, though.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Phil has South Carolina at #14, A&M at #13, Va Tech #12, and UGA at #9.
VT at #12 ?? surprisng. the barners were swearing up and down that Bama will be facing a non rank VT come game time. they are convincing themselves that we have an easy schedule. if both TAMU and VT are in the Top 15 when Bama plays them, it will be easily the toughest sled of games in the first 3 weeks of CFB.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
VT at #12 ?? surprisng. the barners were swearing up and down that Bama will be facing a non rank VT come game time. they are convincing themselves that we have an easy schedule. if both TAMU and VT are in the Top 15 when Bama plays them, it will be easily the toughest sled of games in the first 3 weeks of CFB.
Thats the only tough part of our schedule, actually.

our schedule is fairly easy, and very managable.
After we play those two at the start, we play Colorado St., Ole Miss, Georgia State, Kentucky, Arkansas, Tennessee...
...5 of which are home games.
Thats about as easy a stretch as we could expect playing in the SEC.

We finish with LSU, Miss St., Chatanooga and Auburn...
...Auburn and Miss St on the road.

I have to say, that I find that schedule to not be overly taxing. If the team maintains thier focus, the SEC championship game could prove to be our biggest test.

I dont make excuses for a very favorable schedule, I just smile.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I guess the answer to the question of "how long do the effects of "The Process" linger after Coach Saban leaves?" is -- 9 years

Nice to see LSU settling back to where they belong
I think that sounds about right...
I like Phil's picks but I don't agree with this. Florida & LSU are top 10 teams. I think the Louisville game will motivate the Gators & LSU has not slipped at all in recruiting.
Les has escaped a lot of close calls. He's nearly lost control a few times, and I actually expected things to go a little worse last year, based on the fallout from how things went after the BCSCG game. However, they did go from the BCSCG game, to three losses. That isn't key though, we know Alabama did the same thing in 2010. The key is that they really limped through the last few games.

They gave up 35 points to Ole Miss at home, and only won by 6. They only mustered 20 points against Arkansas, and won by 7. They followed that up by a loss to Clemson. That doesn't look like a team on the right track. The key though is all the defections, they had so many players leave early that they'll actually return the least amount of starters of any team in the SEC. Mind you, that's only one less than Alabama returns, but Alabama has been out-recruiting them and out-coaching them for a little while now.

I think we have areas of concern in regards to Alabama. They have some early tests that should tell us a lot. However, LSU has those concerns, and more... and a lot less reasons to believe they can overcome them. I'd argue it is more likely that Alabama wins a NC, than LSU is a top ten team this year.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I see someone tweeted a picture of Phil's top 15 in the magazine. He has us #1. I'm shocked at his #4, though.

He gives a lot (probably too much) of weight to returning starters. No team in 1A returns more starters than does Texas. They are one of five that return 19. #6 is absurd.

CrimsonBeachBum

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Pace, FL (Pensacola metro area)

Texas is NOT a top 10 team and maybe not even top 20, much less # 4. No way that USC is a top 10 team either and I'm equally surprised that he has VT at #12.Texas is NOT a top 10 team and maybe not even top 20, much less # 4. No way that USC is a top 10 team either and I'm equally surprised that he has VT at #12.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
He gives a lot (probably too much) of weight to returning starters. No team in 1A returns more starters than does Texas. They are one of five that return 19. #6 is absurd.
His system is interesting in that he has an objective rating system but that sometimes causes him problems like having FSU going all the way last year when we all know that FSU will lose games just because they do, then again he saw Au in 2010 long before anyone else. That being said He isnt the only guy with Texas doing well this year is seems to be a pretty popular pick.

CrimsonBeachBum

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Pace, FL (Pensacola metro area)
Texas is NOT a top 10 team and maybe not even top 20, much less # 4. No way that USC is a top 10 team either and I'm equally surprised that he has VT at #12.Texas is NOT a top 10 team and maybe not even top 20, much less # 4. No way that USC is a top 10 team either and I'm equally surprised that he has VT at #12.
Sorry that everything got spelled out twice. Don't know what happened and I tried editing but it wouldn't let me.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
His system is interesting in that he has an objective rating system but that sometimes causes him problems like having FSU going all the way last year when we all know that FSU will lose games just because they do, then again he saw Au in 2010 long before anyone else. That being said He isnt the only guy with Texas doing well this year is seems to be a pretty popular pick.
Tejas is a shell of its former self. I don't see Mack having great success anytime soon.

VT will likely not even be ranked at the end of the year IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.