BAMA to be favored over aTm by 6, LSU by 11.5

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Give LSU 3 for being at home, so it's pretty much a toss up.
Also. It's LSU. They're probably going to be better than expected. I think their OL will be a strength after a growing year in 2012. DL will need work but they always seem to find a good DE or two around those parts.

Also. It's LSU. They're probably going to be better than expected. I think their OL will be a strength after a growing year in 2012. DL will need work but they always seem to find a good DE or two around those parts.
Yeah if I am to worry it'll be their OLine. They only lost one starter. They lost people on every level on D, not just the DLine. It's going to be a challenge for them.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They have a lot of young LBs that saw the field due to injuries. Minter is a big loss but I think his numbers got inflated because he was covering the tails of missed assignments by those young LBs. Sorta like when Demeco Ryans had around 150 tackles in 2003...he's the only guy who was reading the play and getting to the tackle. I think Rasco has a lot of potential as a DE but didn't get much PT because of Mingo/Montgomery bookends. Reid is gone but they still have Loston and the CBs are all a bit more experienced. The interior DL didn't get hit by attrition either.

I don't think LSU is in a bad position to contend. It really hinges on the OL taking the next step and allowing Mettenburger to play as more of game manager where his arm strength can be used on the play fake going deep. Plus, we will be catching them in November when - assuming good health - they will have any kinks fixed. At any rate, a mediocre LSU team is still a threat to Alabama because they will give an effort above what they normally give when playing us.

TAMU should be good too with their depth at WR, tailback, and a Heisman QB...but they are changing a lot of pieces around on the OL. Catching them in early September in their first real legitimate competition is probably more advantageous than catching LSU in November off a bye week. I think the 11.5 for LSU is high but if I had to switch the spreads...I would. Personally, I think TAMU is more like a -8.5 Bama and LSU is a -7.5

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Amen, RGW. Lsu always scares me. They just are one of the few teams capable of matching us physically. Most teams can't stand up to our line play. Idk much about who TAMU starters on the dline are but I know they lost Moore who lead them in tackles, sacks, and tackles for loss. They also lost that kid Nealy who caused problems. If their Dline isn't up to snuff early we are probably going to beat them easily. Teams that beat us must stop the run or they lose. LSU on the other hand somehow just seems to match us on the lines better most years.

Can't wait for the season.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Yeah I don't think this is giving LSU enough credit. They always play us tough. Nothing but respect for them. A&M needs to show me some sustained success, then we'll talk.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I'm not selling the Aggies short; I'm simply analyzing the facts. They won't sneak up on ANYBODY this year.

They barely beat Ole Miss and last year they again blew big leads but the difference is they managed to win.

They may well be the second-best team in the West - but they may not. Keep in mind their signature win came in November last year. They never had a pressure game afterwards (Sam Houston St, Mizzou) with high expectations.

Then remember that Sumlin followed a 10-win season at Houston with a 5-win season.

And btw - have you seen their schedule of the East? They get Missouri and Vandy.

Fact is with their schedule anything less than 10-2 ought to get Sumlin fired - seriously. Besides us and LSU, they don't play anybody decent. If they continue to blow big leads, they will lose games.
They were a good team last season, and It feels like your minimizing their accomplishments...however they did it, they beat the national champions by 5 on the road, and had dogfights with the other top SEC teams. They were the ONLY team to beat us, and thats a big deal, IMO.

Picking the facts apart detail by detail seems trivial to me. Im just focused on this upcoming september 14th at TAMU. Hopefully we get revenge.
I expect that we'll have a different outcome this time around.

Manziel no doubt made his reputation against us, but he played exceptionally well all season long...he set an SEC record for total yards. I think we'll be prepared for him this year, and believe that every team will be as well...he will have a hrd time repeating last season this time around...but what they do this season doesnt diminish thier accomplishments last season in the least.

and, our schedule this season isnt very daunting either...downplaying one of our top opponents from this upcoming schedule seems to be self defeating to me. I hope they play well, because they may be only one of a couple solid teams that will boost our strength of schedule.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just a hint - all but a few Bama fans find "......" offensive, even when it's misspelled as "bamer." In fact, I usually delete any rival fan's post which contains it. I realize that you're too green to know it, but the Auburn fans are the ones who came up with it in order to have an obnoxious appellation for us. If you continue to use it here, then you will be deleted. As you can see from this post, our filters knock it out...

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I'm actually more worried about the Ole Miss game - they're far more likely to surprise this year.
Surprised no one else has bit on that statement yet. OM and Mittippi Tate were a little feisty last year at times, but OM is the one I believe has more growth potential. There's more than a few rumblings about what may be behind Freeze's recruiting success, but what is undeniable is that the talent level in Oxford is on the upswing, and that Freeze seems to be well above his immediate predecessors as a HC. They fall between Co. St. and Ga. St. this year, so I'm sure we won't get caught looking ahead, but they may be tougher than we would like.

Ole Miss returns 8 from last year's starters. That's not too good. They play in the West also not good. They do play Alabama well. I give them that. However, if Bama plays like it is capable of playing Ole Miss can't hang. I remember it was 7-6 last year and just like Ole Miss I can't remember what happened and it was 24-6. The game shouldn't have been that close.

We get Ole Miss at a good time on our schedule. We blow them out from the jump, or kick.

A&M had no defense last year and couldn't stop a parked car on blocks. They'll be even worse this year. Y'all were oh so lucky last year. I couldn't believe how Bama played even after LSU. We had dumb mistakes and turnovers all game yet was in position to win. If A&M plays that way, well, they'd get blown off the field, literally. You all will have Bama's undivided attention this year. Just ask LSU and Notre Dame how that feels.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I'm surprised so many Bama fans are writing off A&M. They're a good team. Not great, but good. A legit top 10 team. Winning there won't be easy. I will be more nervous for that game than any game this year (or last year).

Luckily Bama has time and pride on their side. The A&M AD and president have both come out with anti-Bama comments today, one worse than the other.

I'm surprised so many Bama fans are writing off A&M. They're a good team. Not great, but good. A legit top 10 team. Winning there won't be easy. I will be more nervous for that game than any game this year (or last year).

Luckily Bama has time and pride on their side. The A&M AD and president have both come out with anti-Bama comments today, one worse than the other.
What did they say!?

texasaggie84

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 28, 2012
Danville, CA
Playing in Kyle Field will be tougher than you might think. I am leery though as I just don't see Saban losing to us twice in a row. Let's face it, after the first quarter of last year's game you all beat us. Should be a great game and environment though - I am looking forward to it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Playing in Kyle Field will be tougher than you might think. I am leery though as I just don't see Saban losing to us twice in a row. Let's face it, after the first quarter of last year's game you all beat us. Should be a great game and environment though - I am looking forward to it.
Well, different teams react in different ways to opposing crowds. Barrett Jones said last year that they feed off the energy of the boos and cheers. The record seems to indicate they react well...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.