BAMA to be favored over aTm by 6, LSU by 11.5

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
LSU favored over aTm is perplexing, no?
They rarely lose at home especially at night (though I have no idea when the game will be). Only us with our last minute drive and Lord Tebow have done it. They tend to play way above their heads when they are at home.

From these releases it would seem there is a little bit of skepticism about Tamu.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I should clarify I don't necessarily think aTm will beat LSU. It just seems like all the pundits think JM will be unstoppable this year. But they don't make the lines, so I guess it makes sense. Just seems like LSU is losing an awful lot on defense.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I should clarify I don't necessarily think aTm will beat LSU. It just seems like all the pundits think JM will be unstoppable this year. But they don't make the lines, so I guess it makes sense. Just seems like LSU is losing an awful lot on defense.
LSU is just reloading on defense. Not to the extent of Bama but more than most schools that lose that many players to attrition.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
From these releases it would seem there is a little bit of skepticism about Tamu.
As I 've said before, I think they are this years USC-W. I see BAMA, LSU, Ole Sis, Mizz and possible Arky beating them. 9-3, 3rd in west is the best they will do...

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
66-3 against aTm would be good for me.

LSU will be much better than some are saying, say what we will but Les gets them ready every year & they know how to scare the heck out of us.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Second game, yes, but it's after a bye week.
Our record coming off bye weeks actually isn't that impressive under Saban. Of course some of that is due to it usually being before LSU but A&M is another top team.

I have some confidence because it is the second game and not because it comes off a bye. To me it seems we come out killing people at the beginning of the season then seem to have a midseason lull followed by returning to killing teams. Could be an injury thing, a focus thing, or something else I'm not sure but that seems to be the trend as best my memory serves.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
As I 've said before, I think they are this years USC-W. I see BAMA, LSU, Ole Sis, Mizz and possible Arky beating them. 9-3, 3rd in west is the best they will do...
Heh.. I remember reading a lot of this same opinion 'bout this time last year - even including some by myself. We all remember how that turned out.
Truth is, we still have to find a way to stop Mr. Johnny Football. I'm sure CNS & staff will find a way to get it done. But so far that's still, you know, pie in the sky..

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Our record coming off bye weeks actually isn't that impressive under Saban. Of course some of that is due to it usually being before LSU but A&M is another top team.

I have some confidence because it is the second game and not because it comes off a bye. To me it seems we come out killing people at the beginning of the season then seem to have a midseason lull followed by returning to killing teams. Could be an injury thing, a focus thing, or something else I'm not sure but that seems to be the trend as best my memory serves.
That's how I remember things too.

Plus Saban often gets the season started with a big win over a quality team.

Others have also pointed out it's hard for the same coach to beat Saban two years in a row.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

While Alabama's past bye weeks have been the week prior to the LSU game, LSU's bye week has tended to be the week before Alabama. It pretty much equals out.

The difference with A&M is what they did last year. Saban's record against a team following a defeat the previous matchup is fairly high IIRC.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I guess it all depends on how you look at it.

However, before we go kissing aTm's backside, a few points:

1) They should have lost to Ole Miss last year, who was hardly a great team.

2) They played 3 decent foes and went 1-2. And they were six feet from going 0-3.

3) Their reputation is entirely based upon beating us at home. Nothing more. Manziel is a great player but as I keep telling you - compare his stats before the first hit and afterward. If we'd gotten one pop on him on the first three drives last year we also win.

4) They cannot sneak up on anyone this year.

5) Saban has not lost in September since his first year. During that time we have beaten Clemson, Va Tech, Penn St twice, Michigan, and routed Arkansas four times plus beat a high-ranked UGA on the road.

6) Saban has only lost two revenge games, to Spurrier while Nick was at LSU and to Miles. Otherwise, he makes you pay.

7) I am convinced we lost to aTm last year only because it was right after the LSU high. I think had we played them any other week we win. But we had a late game that took a lot out of us. Again, not excuses just facts.

I'm actually more worried about the Ole Miss game - they're far more likely to surprise this year.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

2) They played 3 decent foes and went 1-2. And they were six feet from going 0-3.

3) Their reputation is entirely based upon beating us at home. Nothing more. Manziel is a great player but as I keep telling you - compare his stats before the first hit and afterward. If we'd gotten one pop on him on the first three drives last year we also win.

5) Saban has not lost in September since his first year. During that time we have beaten Clemson, Va Tech, Penn St twice, Michigan, and routed Arkansas four times plus beat a high-ranked UGA on the road.

6) Saban has only lost two revenge games, to Spurrier while Nick was at LSU and to Miles. Otherwise, he makes you pay.

7) I am convinced we lost to aTm last year only because it was right after the LSU high. I think had we played them any other week we win. But we had a late game that took a lot out of us. Again, not excuses just facts.

I'm actually more worried about the Ole Miss game - they're far more likely to surprise this year.
I agree but would add that we didn't know at the time of the LSU and TA&M games that AJ was pretty banged up with a rib injury. In addition, the coaches knew AJ was hurt and that TA&M's DL was thin yet still kind of abandoned the run and put the game on AJ to win. That was an unusual coaching error on our staffs part IMHO.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

I agree with all except "their reputation is entirely based upon beating us at home". They played well against Florida and LSU, destroyed Oklahoma, and they have the Heisman winner plus several other good players.

I thought JM got better with each game last year.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
What is interesting about these lines it virtually assures Alabama of making in through the regular season a the favorite in every game, regardless of what happens. Even if Bama lost to Va Tech and TAMU, we would probably STILL be favored over an undefeated LSU by a 2 or 3 (unless AJ went down).

The streak of being favored goes all of the way back to the 2009 SEC Championship.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.