Judge orders Verizon to hand over all cell phone call data to NSA

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
You figure at this stage the serious ones go snail mail and all cash for purchases. If they continue with this data collection then the goals may have been aligned with IRS.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Does that change anything for you Chuck? Seebell, you still liking his original post seeing as how it was wrong? Oh, right, you probably still do.
I've read articles stating the NSA has the computing power to electronically analyse the conversation of every call in the US simultaneously. You don't build that computing power and plug it into the telcos unless you plan on using it.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I guess I assumed everyone had to know that this is what the NSA was doing. Well with regards to the actual recording of the call. I looked at it this way.

The process probably went something like:

1. Identify somebody who they think wants to do something bad.
2. Flag that phone number in a system to monitor for calls to other "known" bad guys. The computer then scans the meta data for connections to other bad guys and throws up a flag if it finds something.
--A. Here is where it broke down for me, you can monitor metadata all day long but what happens when you finally get proof that the person is likely doing something nefarious? If you don't already have those calls stored so that say, 6 months from the beginning of monitoring a positive hit comes up that says you should be monitoring the guy, you now have enough evidence to get a warrant. If you haven't already been storing those calls, you are stupid because with a warrant you can go back and mine all those conversations for other potential terrorists. So since you are already "sniffing" everything that comes across, it now makes sense to just save each and every one, storage is ridiculously cheap and what do they care about cost? They are the government.

It goes back to the stories about the NSA being directly tapped into ATT & Verison.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I guess I assumed everyone had to know that this is what the NSA was doing. Well with regards to the actual recording of the call. I looked at it this way.

The process probably went something like:

1. Identify somebody who they think wants to do something bad.
2. Flag that phone number in a system to monitor for calls to other "known" bad guys. The computer then scans the meta data for connections to other bad guys and throws up a flag if it finds something.
--A. Here is where it broke down for me, you can monitor metadata all day long but what happens when you finally get proof that the person is likely doing something nefarious? If you don't already have those calls stored so that say, 6 months from the beginning of monitoring a positive hit comes up that says you should be monitoring the guy, you now have enough evidence to get a warrant. If you haven't already been storing those calls, you are stupid because with a warrant you can go back and mine all those conversations for other potential terrorists. So since you are already "sniffing" everything that comes across, it now makes sense to just save each and every one, storage is ridiculously cheap and what do they care about cost? They are the government.

It goes back to the stories about the NSA being directly tapped into ATT & Verison.
It came out a couple of days ago that they are storing the content as well. They didn't say how far back...

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-5...istening-to-u.s-phone-calls-without-warrants/

"The National Security Agency has acknowledged in a new classified briefing that it does not need court authorization to listen to domestic phone calls. Rep. Jerrold Nadler, a New York Democrat, disclosed this week that during a secret briefing to members of Congress, he was told that the contents of a phone call could be accessed "simply based on an analyst deciding that."
If the NSA wants "to listen to the phone," an analyst's decision is sufficient, without any other legal authorization required, Nadler said he learned. "I was rather startled," said Nadler, an attorney and congressman who serves on the House Judiciary committee. "

Does that change anything for you Chuck? Seebell, you still liking his original post seeing as how it was wrong? Oh, right, you probably still do.
Sorry for the late response...been kind of busy the past few days...and the next few will be busy too.

The facts are still coming out with this. We don't really know everything that happened yet. But if it was the case that there was an imminent terrorist threat that the NSA was preventing and they didn't have time to get a warrant, then I would have no issue with them listening without one. However, if they were just listening randomly or something, then I would in fact have an issue with that.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
But if it was the case that there was an imminent terrorist threat that the NSA was preventing and they didn't have time to get a warrant, then I would have no issue with them listening without one.
Where do you stop? I bet the government can detain and interrogate every citizen and stop lots more attacks. And if it works so well, where were they during the Boston Marathon? Honestly I'm tired of stuff being forced on me because of 9/11. Here is an interesting article where some of the stupid protective measures the US government put in place at the airport cause more deaths since 9/11 than all of 9/11 and the war since.

Did you know the odds of dying in a terrorist attack is 1 in 20,000,000? The odds of dying from a bee attack is 1 in 71,107. Where is all the government protection from the bees??????

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Where do you stop? I bet the government can detain and interrogate every citizen and stop lots more attacks. And if it works so well, where were they during the Boston Marathon? Honestly I'm tired of stuff being forced on me because of 9/11. Here is an interesting article where some of the stupid protective measures the US government put in place at the airport cause more deaths since 9/11 than all of 9/11 and the war since.

Did you know the odds of dying in a terrorist attack is 1 in 20,000,000. The odds of dying from a bee attack is 1 in 71,107. Where is all the government protection from the bees??????

so if you die because you try to hit a bunch of bees that land on your head with a frying pan does it count as intentional self harm or bee attack.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
so if you die because you try to hit a bunch of bees that land on your head with a frying pan does it count as intentional self harm or bee attack.
Good question. The government probably should declare war on bees and ban frying pans just in case.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA

Did you know the odds of dying in a terrorist attack is 1 in 20,000,000? The odds of dying from a bee attack is 1 in 71,107. Where is all the government protection from the bees??????
That was 2009. I wonder what that number was in 2001. And I wonder what that number would be if, G-d forbid, a terrorist was able to take out a full football stadium like I mentioned earlier in the thread?

Israel is the most targeted country for terror attacks in the world. (Definitely per capita, and maybe overall too.) Do you know what the leading cost of death is in Israel? Traffic accidents. So does that mean that they should let their guard down because death by terrorism isn't number one? Not for a moment. If you give the militant Islamists an inch, they will take a mile...and by deadly force too.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
That was 2009. I wonder what that number was in 2001. And I wonder what that number would be if, G-d forbid, a terrorist was able to take out a full football stadium like I mentioned earlier in the thread?

Israel is the most targeted country for terror attacks in the world. (Definitely per capita, and maybe overall too.) Do you know what the leading cost of death is in Israel? Traffic accidents. So does that mean that they should let their guard down because death by terrorism isn't number one? Not for a moment. If you give the militant Islamists an inch, they will take a mile...and by deadly force too.
What was it that Patrick Henry said?

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/06/google-microsoft-twitter-facebook-user-data-fisa-charts

Charts: Here's How Often Google and Facebook Say Yes to Government Snoopscatch.
the FBI and the Department of Justice granted permission on Friday to disclose the number of FISA requests they get—but with a pretty big catch.

If you liked this info please subscribe to Mother Jones. Especially you JPT:D
Just a question. Are you affiliated with mother jones? I read them regularly as well as things from the right to hopefully come up with something in the middle so I respect what they do. This is just the second or third plug I have seen for them from you.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
JPT called it a leftist rag after one of my well reasoned intelligent posts. So I guess I'm trying to aggravate him and probably some others. No affiliation here.

It is good to get perspective from both sides.

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA
JPT called it a leftist rag after one of my well reasoned intelligent posts. So I guess I'm trying to aggravate him and probably some others. No affiliation here.

It is good to get perspective from both sides.
Yeah but Mother Jones and Huffington Post aren't both sides. Just saying. :)

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.