Question: Who has a BBQ smoker?

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I bought a little vertical water wood/charcoal smoker for $60 several yrs ago and made my own upgrades. It has been awesome and smoked some great pork butts. I wanted to learn smoking on wood before I moved on to an upgrade.

Now I am ready to upgrade to a gas/propane or electric smoker so I don't have to babysit the fire near as much. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with their smokers? I am considering the Landmann 2 drawer propane smoker currently.

Thanks and RTR!!

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
I bought a little vertical water wood/charcoal smoker for $60 several yrs ago and made my own upgrades. It has been awesome and smoked some great pork butts. I wanted to learn smoking on wood before I moved on to an upgrade.

Now I am ready to upgrade to a gas/propane or electric smoker so I don't have to babysit the fire near as much. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with their smokers? I am considering the Landmann 2 drawer propane smoker currently.

Thanks and RTR!!
Sometimes propane smokers are hard to keep at low temps. Electric is way easier to keep at even low temps.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I just picked up a Big Green Egg but haven't assembled it yet. It was expensive but supposedly can burn a very long time at low heat with very little charcoal tending.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I've had a big green egg for years and I love it. I don't use it near as often as I should at this point. I tend to go through phases a couple months back I got really into making pizzas, before that it was smoking turkeys. Might just fire it up tonight now

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
I have an "old Smokey" electric smoker. I can't handle the charcoal and all I have to do is fill 2 chip trays, put them on the burner, and wait. I ordered a thermometer to put in the lid, to monitor cook temps. The lid is flat and seals. No need for H2O, the pan catches the drippings. I bought a jacket to put around it for cold weather smoking, and smoke on, even in windy or cold weather. This link describes it in full. Slow cooked, smoky, flavor Juicy and tender in up to one third of the time as a stick or charcoal smokers. If you do a lot of meat Smokin Tex is the answer, for electric smokers.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I have an electric but prefer charcoal and wood on my Weber Platinum grill. The 26.75" Diameter makes it large enough to cook indirect and house a large water pan. 10-12hrs and a boston butt will just fall apart.

BAMAFEVER50

1st Team
Aug 17, 2008
MOODY, AL
I just picked up a Big Green Egg but haven't assembled it yet. It was expensive but supposedly can burn a very long time at low heat with very little charcoal tending.

I have a Primo XL (another ceramic grill) and love it. It will produce grill master results with ease. I can cook a Boston butt for 18 hours at 225 degrees with ease, or sear red snapper at 400.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I have an "old Smokey" electric smoker. I can't handle the charcoal and all I have to do is fill 2 chip trays, put them on the burner, and wait. I ordered a thermometer to put in the lid, to monitor cook temps. The lid is flat and seals. No need for H2O, the pan catches the drippings. I bought a jacket to put around it for cold weather smoking, and smoke on, even in windy or cold weather. This link describes it in full. Slow cooked, smoky, flavor Juicy and tender in up to one third of the time as a stick or charcoal smokers. If you do a lot of meat Smokin Tex is the answer, for electric smokers.
After researching, the smokin Tex may be the direction I go. I really like the set it and forget it. It looks pretty well built with stainless also. I always cook in large quantities.

Thank you!! I wasn't aware of this one.

Nothing better than a september or October Saturday with college football and a pork shoulder smokin!!! Can't wait!!!!

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I have a Weber Smokey Mountain. It is one of the best smokers on the market. It is a charcoal/wood smoker. It takes little to no baby sitting. They come in a 18.5" and a 22.5" model. If you cook just for your family then the 18.5" will work great. It's especially effective with the minion method. I would highly recommend it. Much better results than with an electric or propane model.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
It hurts to hear of someone wanting to move away from wood/charcoal and go to a gas or electric smoker. The best upgrade IMO is a ceramic smoker like a Big Green Egg. I've held 225 for over 18 hours with little to no babysitting, cooked pizzas, made chili, seared steaks at >700 degrees, and the list goes on. It also doesn't require water and isn't affected by weather. The only real downsides are price and the size is smallish if you are doing something big.

Bear Disciple

1st Team
Oct 27, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL
Anyone ever used a GMG Jim Bowie or a Traeger system used?
I cannot attest to the current quality of Traegers, but about 2-3 years ago I picked one up. A buddy of mine had one and finally convinced me to get one as well. The temperature was so incredibly inconsistent (ranging anywhere from +/- 150* from desired temp) that we brought it back to get another one. Long story short, ended up trying 3 completely separate units and spent hours upon hours of time on the phone with customer service trying to figure out and solve the issue. Finally about the 4th or 5th person from Traeger I spoke to said that they know of an internal problem that has been popping up and it has been entirely manufacturer/equipment error the whole time and they knew it. Because of this, I will never use any of their products nor will I ever recommend them.

On a separate note, I got a Cookshack electric smoker for my dad for Father's Day a while back because he wanted to get into barbecuing a little bit like me, but without all the hassle. Nothing but good things to say about the Cookshacks. Set the temperature and walk away, it will often remain exactly at desired temp for full cooking time, worst it's ever been is +/- 5 degrees. It will not quite produce competition quality Q, but basically the only sacrifice is a perfect bark, at such low temps with indirect heat it simply cannot duplicate an authentic stick burner. The food tastes the same, and produces phenomenal food on a much more consistent basis than stick burners as well unless you really want to dedicate some time. Surprising wood flavor as well when just the few small chunks are used directly above the coils. As far as size is concerned, we got him the standard Smokette size and it has been enough for some fairly large sized gatherings. Can fit an entire packer brisket, a few 5-6 pork shoulders, or 8-10 racks of ribs depending on whether they are baby backs, St. Louis, or standard spares.

Hope some of that helps!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Here I is!!!! Sorry for the delay. Long busy weekend and busy Monday morning. Personally I'm a BBQ purist so I try to stick as close to what I call "the real thang" as I can. I have a Stumps Baby Smoker which is a gravity feed insulated smoker. No babysitting whatsoever. It burns on charcoal and wood. I know several people who have electric smokers and it has been argued to death but I've yet to taste the smoke flavor from an electric smoker that I do from a wood/charcoal smoker.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Here I is!!!! Sorry for the delay. Long busy weekend and busy Monday morning. Personally I'm a BBQ purist so I try to stick as close to what I call "the real thang" as I can. I have a Stumps Baby Smoker which is a gravity feed insulated smoker. No babysitting whatsoever. It burns on charcoal and wood. I know several people who have electric smokers and it has been argued to death but I've yet to taste the smoke flavor from an electric smoker that I do from a wood/charcoal smoker.
It's easy to over smoke meat in an electric smoker. Mine has a "sealed" top and this shortens cooking. I guess you mean cooking over a direct fire, the juices dripping on the charcoal/wood, however in offset stick smokers, water smokers etc, one can get excellent smoke flavor, even with mine, where the pan catches the grease, IMO.:smile:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
It's easy to over smoke meat in an electric smoker. Mine has a "sealed" top and this shortens cooking. I guess you mean cooking over a direct fire, the juices dripping on the charcoal/wood, however in offset stick smokers, water smokers etc, one can get excellent smoke flavor, even with mine, where the pan catches the grease, IMO.:smile:
What I meant was the same type smoke flavor. When cooking with two different types of heat it is very hard to get the same flavor and texture. I know this is in the same vein as the ongoing argument about getting the same flavor as grilling on a gas grill compared to grilling on a charcoal/wood grill.

The funny thing is I've actually participated in a blind taste test using hamburgers/hotdogs grilled on a gas grill compared to a charcoal grill. Didn't miss a one. I could tell the difference. I ate at a local bbq/seafood restaurant and ordered their ribs. I asked the waiter if they cooked their ribs in some type of oven because the texture didn't seem like it was smoked in a wood fire unit. He looked at me like I was crazy. But I was right. :biggrin2:

Different types of heat many times will produce a different flavor profile and/or texture. It doesn't mean it doesn't taste good. I've eaten some dang good food/bbq from electric cookers and gas cookers. But there is a difference.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Good point BB....I use an electric because I have to. I just cook basicly for myself, and it's the easiest, cleanest, and fassest way to smoke. I usually have to split ny packages and freeze it, except for Butts, shoulders, which I pull and freeze, and eat off it a long time. We used to use charcoal, and wood, back in the day. Now it's just me, and the little electric is just the thing. :smile:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Good point BB....I use an electric because I have to. I just cook basicly for myself, and it's the easiest, cleanest, and fassest way to smoke. I usually have to split ny packages and freeze it, except for Butts, shoulders, which I pull and freeze, and eat off it a long time. We used to use charcoal, and wood, back in the day. Now it's just me, and the little electric is just the thing. :smile:
Absolutely nothing wrong with electric smokers. As my late grandfather got older and in worse health that's what he went to. It was easier, more convenient and he could still put out some very tasty Q. The bottom line is it taste good. As long as it taste good to you and those you share it with then it is a success.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.