Link: In Terms of Starts, Alabama's OL is 106th Most Experienced OL in Nation

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
With tough, early games, this is not good. At least the games will be easier than the scrimmages.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm not as worried as some about our OL. A good OL has to be able to communicate and at least on the left side we have two brothers who certainly ought to know how to communicate with each other. Next you need a smart center capable of holding the middle and I think Ryan fits that role and may be better than Barrett in some areas. Steen anchors the right side guard position which leaves us with right tackle.

As big and good at run blocking as Fluker was he could be beat by a good pass rusher too many times than I wanted to see. Western KY owned him that game. From what I've seen Sheppard looks more capable at pass blocking and he may get beat out by someone better so we may in some ways be better at that position.

On top of that where we've had a weakness on offense in the past was when good defenses sold out to stop the run and we weren't consistently good enough in the passing game to take advantage of that. Last year we were more capable in that area except in the two games where AJ was hurting, (LSU and TAMU).

I expect our passing game with the talent and depth we now have at receiver and a proven top QB to help our OL and RB's have a better running game. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
10 Years ago this would spell doom but let's remember CNS has been stockpiling "big uglies" for several years now.

It's hard to say but our second team OL last year was probably better than many teams in the country. Now most of these guys are just stepping up from being 1b to 1a.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
What about games played? That's a bikini stat there, conceals as much as it reveals.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Exactly and although I didn't say it in the previous post I was referring to how our second team OL isn't brand new to SEC action!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
In number of "starts" pre-season 2011 A.J. had none.
In number of starts pre-season 2012 our running backs and wide receiving corp had none.
At Kentucky, this O-line deal would be a big problem. At Bama-it's called " progress of the process". I'm gonna worry for about let's see--two seconds. Thousand one - thousand two. Ok ...not worried anymore! :)
sip

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Let's not get too upset about this. It is simply a statistic. One that is actually an improvement upon what has been used to measure experience (classification only).
If ranking who has the best OL, I would guess Steele would have us much, much, much higher.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I've never worried about this one bit and I'm really big on the big uglies. It's simple, CFB has never seen a Nick Saban coached team in it's 7th season. I think it's gonna be something to see.

I mean, it's not like we're gonna be replacing anybody with a bunch of pencil-necked geeks. The newbies are gonna be the next group of highly talented, highly recruited blue chip studs that have been waiting their turn to step into the spotlight. (Well, as much of a spotlight as an O-line gets. ;) ) And let's not forget that these guys have been cutting their teeth against better competition than they'll be facing on Saturdays.

FWIW, I pretty much feel the same way about every other position or unit on the team too. Coach Saban's "Process" is alive and well in Tuscaloosa. Remember, after 09 he told us "This isn't the end, it's the beginning."

He convinced me.

Last edited:

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I think minutes played would show our O-line to be very high in the rankings, maybe even top 25.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
During Spring he said he was pleased with the OL. That's high praise from coach. He seemed to be pleasantly surprised and pleased. If he is feeling that way then I feel good about the line.

The area I'm concerned about is CB. Saban has mentioned that they are thin there and need more players to step up. If Belue plays at the level he did in the A-day game I think will be fine as long as we don't have an injury.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I love the fact that all the guys who are in line to start have at least 3 years of experience as reserves. I expect some hiccups but they'll be fine I believe.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
In terms of starts, sure, but in terms of mashing guys into the ground..we'll be aight.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.