News Article: Which Dynasty Is More Impressive - Alabama Or Nebraska?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Selma, how is Paterno enabling when the courts ruled there was no conspiracy at Penn State?
The courts also ruled OJ didn't kill two people.

Doesn't mean anything.

Sandusky was no longer on his staff in 2001 when McQueary told him about what he heard.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/...ex-abuse-penn-state-1976-court-documents.html

A graphic description of sexual abuse from 1976 detailed in court documents released Tuesday cast new doubt on assertions by Joe Paterno, the former Penn State football coach, that he did not know until 2001 that his former assistant Jerry Sandusky had abused minors.

You may remember Coach Saban said he would have done what Paterno did and report it up the chain and what Paterno did is now the NCAA guidelines for handling sexual assaults.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/06/us/jerry-sandusky-victims-paterno-penn-state/index.html

The other has spoken to CNN, in great detail, explaining how he was a troubled young kid in 1971 when he was raped in a Penn State bathroom by Jerry Sandusky. Then, he says, his complaint about it was ignored by Paterno.

We have two options here:
1) two guys made up the same tale about Paterno years after the fact
2) what they're saying actually happened and Paterno knew long ago

I think we need to be clear on something: just like with Urban Meyer getting the brunt of the butchering, Paterno DID NOT HIMSELF abuse the kids. He certainly should not be vilified as much as Sandusky.

The problem is that he knew about it LONG before he or his defenders will admit he knew about it.

The bizarre part is this: Paterno's reputation COULD (to a certain degree) be rehabilitated IF his worshipers would actually ADMIT he should have been more proactive.

The ENTIRE defense of Paterno depends on "he didn't know until 2001," and that's been debunked at almost every point. The 2001 date almost seems contrived to relieve him of any responsibility.
Paterno's life legacy was NOT "all bad", but his defenders keep the entire thing from closure (or in this case as much as possible closure).

I don't buy that a guy who yelled at kids and professors to not walk on the grass, made his football players go to classes and kept starters from playing in games and bowl games for missing classes (that's hardly a win at all cost coach), would cover up or enable a pedophile to protect his football program. Paterno didn't care for Sandusky personally and I doubt Paterno's ego would let him think Sandusky was irreplaceable.
There are Catholic priests who could meet the criteria you listed above.

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
The courts also ruled OJ didn't kill two people.

Doesn't mean anything.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/...ex-abuse-penn-state-1976-court-documents.html

A graphic description of sexual abuse from 1976 detailed in court documents released Tuesday cast new doubt on assertions by Joe Paterno, the former Penn State football coach, that he did not know until 2001 that his former assistant Jerry Sandusky had abused minors.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/06/us/jerry-sandusky-victims-paterno-penn-state/index.html

The other has spoken to CNN, in great detail, explaining how he was a troubled young kid in 1971 when he was raped in a Penn State bathroom by Jerry Sandusky. Then, he says, his complaint about it was ignored by Paterno.

We have two options here:
1) two guys made up the same tale about Paterno years after the fact
2) what they're saying actually happened and Paterno knew long ago

I think we need to be clear on something: just like with Urban Meyer getting the brunt of the butchering, Paterno DID NOT HIMSELF abuse the kids. He certainly should not be vilified as much as Sandusky.

The problem is that he knew about it LONG before he or his defenders will admit he knew about it.

The bizarre part is this: Paterno's reputation COULD (to a certain degree) be rehabilitated IF his worshipers would actually ADMIT he should have been more proactive.

The ENTIRE defense of Paterno depends on "he didn't know until 2001," and that's been debunked at almost every point. The 2001 date almost seems contrived to relieve him of any responsibility.
Paterno's life legacy was NOT "all bad", but his defenders keep the entire thing from closure (or in this case as much as possible closure).

There are Catholic priests who could meet the criteria you listed above.
Point taken.

In the '70s, why would Joe Paterno keep a young coach with just a few years experience, Sandusky then, if he suspected or knew that Sandusky was a pedophile? That makes absolutely no sense. It certainly wasn't like he was irreplaceable then. Dan Radakovich was the father and creator of Linebacker U.

Let me ask you this one about the so-called young kid that went to Joe Paterno directly as one of those claims in the '70s and told him about him being molested by Sandusky and how realistic that is.

You're a young kid and supposedly you've been molested by Jerry Sandusky. Who might you tell it to? Your mom? Your dad? An aunt? An uncle? A school teacher? A friend? A grandparent? A doctor or nurse? A police officer? No, you choose to tell the head football coach of Penn State University. You seriously believe that?

Add to that, how does a young kid get an audience, by himself, to go see the head football coach of a major university in his office? Past secretaries without any adults with him? How likely is a young kid going to get an audience, by himself, and walk into Nick Saban's office? Let me sell you a bridge in Brooklyn my friend.

From those "instances" in the '70s, there was also another assistant coach implicated as said he was told then about a boy being molested. That coach wasn't even at Penn State until a few years later. I'll try look and find that for you. His name escapes me at the moment.

None of those claims in the '70s were ever vetted and all of those claims and information doesn't come out till 40 years later??? Everyone kept quiet for 40 years? Every single person??? Why bring it up then? Penn State was paying off claims without even vetting them that's why.

From: http://notpsu.blogspot.com/2016/05/ Again, sorry about the background. I simply cut and paste.

1971 Story Not Credible

The allegations made in the 1971 story were only credible to people who had:
1. NO knowledge of the Sandusky trial evidence;
2. NO knowledge of when Sandusky founded THE SECOND MILE charity;
3. NO knowledge of when Sandusky was employed at PSU; and
4. NO understanding of PARENTING.

Point 1: Sandusky was an acquaintance offender. This is the most important fact ignored by the media. He befriended his victims. He was not what was known as a "stranger danger" offender.

Point 2: Sandusky formed THE SECOND MILE in 1977. As such, the phony 1971 victim's claims that Paterno didn't act because of "all the good things" that Sandusky had done doesn't hold water.

Point 3: Given that Sandusky joined the PSU football staff in 1969, was a young assistant in 1971, and had no history of charitable work, the idea that Paterno dismissed the complaint also doesn't hold water.

Please recall that in 2012, the media believed that Sandusky was forced to retire in 1999 due to the 1998 unfounded child abuse complaint. So a thirty year assistant gets immediately fired but a two year newbie doesn't.

Consistency? Bueller? Bueller?

Point 4: No parent, even a foster parent, is going to tell a child who was just raped to call Penn State and talk to Paterno. When Barron stated the stories were incredulous, this is one of the examples.

Interestingly enough, Ganim's story that broke news of the Sandusky grand jury, that was part of the Pulitzer Prize submission, exhibited an incredible lack of understanding of parenting.

In that story, Ganim wrote that the mother of a ten-year old boy waited outside the interview room while her son talked to the police -- but then never asked him what he talked to the police about.

From the article:

"When reached by phone, his mother said she took her son to Penn State police for questioning in 1998 but didn’t listen to the interview. She said she never asked her son what happened."

Wow.

From: http://notpsu.blogspot.com/2019/02/freeh-no-evidence-of-protecting-jp-or.html#more

Sorry for the below bold just shows up in a cut and paste.

Page 29 of the alumni report refers to a late June 2012 discussion of the draft Freeh Report, where Freeh commented:

"I understand -- there is a stronger case to be made for "protecting the university" than JP or the 'Football Program' -- which is never really articulated in any of the evidence I've seen

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
Food for thought Selma. Kevin O'Dea was named in a disposition and he wasn't even at Penn State then.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/07/sandusky_odea_assault_lawsuit.html

In the depositions from several Jerry Sandusky victims that were unsealed Tuesday in a lawsuit over insurance claims, one victim says that a former assistant coach saw Sandusky rubbing his back as he was lying on a couch in a coaches' area of the locker room.

According to the deposition of the victim identified as John Doe 101, that assistant coach was Kevin O'Dea.

The victim said in the deposition taken in November 2014 that he was lying on a couch in his underwear in the coaches' area of the locker room, and as O'Dea walked in, Sandusky tried to cover up what he was doing. "He always tried to play things in a different way than what was happening, yeah, for sure."

O'Dea said nothing about it, according to the deposition.

Philadelphia Judge Gary L. Glazer unsealed court documents, some of which were related to several early child sexual abuse allegations against Sandusky.

The documents in question are part of a voluminous court record being developed in a civil case in which Penn State is battling with Pennsylvania Manufacturers Association Insurance Co. over reimbursement for civil settlements paid to 32 people who presented themselves as Sandusky victims.

That was in 1988, according to the expert report that was released Tuesday, as well.

O'Dea, however, was a graduate assistant at the University of Virginia from 1988-90 and didn't join Penn State's staff until 1991.

He released this statement later Tuesday: "The anonymous allegation that I knew, heard or had information in 1988, or at any other time for that matter, of the behavior of Jerry Sandusky is a complete fabrication. To be clear, in 1988, I was not employed, interning, working or in any way associated with Penn State University."

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.