What if aTm didn't have Johnny Football last season?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't think many people (even the Aggies) thought they'd have the season they had last year. But just for kicks and giggles how much of their success do you think had to do with having Johnny Football? What would their record might have been without this type athlete at the position?

Rather than being 10-2 in the regular season would they possibly had a worse record?

Last edited:

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
well...it's clear they don't beat us and they probably lose to Ole Miss...and I think they probably still beat LA Tech

After that...they beat the tar out of everyone else they beat.

So I say they end up 8-4...and beat Clemson in the Chick-fil-a Bowl...making them 9-4 in the end. I don't think they would have dominated all of those other teams...but they would have been good enough to win them. Manziel definitely took them to another level though.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Something to remember about A&M last year: Manziel wasn't the starter when Spring practice ended. He took the position during fall camp.

When the backup QB came into games, the offense didn't appear to miss a beat. However, I don't think they beat us. Very possible they lose to Ole Miss because they should have with Manziel as QB.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I think they would have lost to La Tech, Ole Miss, and Alabama. The rest of their games they won quite handily so I'm assuming they win these with a lesser QB. There would have been no Cotton Bowl but they probably win the Also Ran Bowl.

My guess ... 8 and 5.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Yeah, well...what if Colt McCoy hadn't gotten hurt. Know what I mean.:rolleyes:
Colt McCoy was not even in the same stratosphere of a JF. JF falls into that category of Tebow and Newton regarding his impact on a game. It simply a hypothetical question and definitely no sour grapes. We won the national championship for crying out loud. LOL! But JF is a phenomenal athlete who's impromptu type plays definitely contributed to a lot of their success.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
You know, Texas A&M was very good two years ago and should have challenged for the Big 12 championship. Coaching did them in. They collapsed in so many games in the second half. Sumlin didn't walk into a bare cupboard.... Having said that, without Manziel they certainly don't finish 11-2. No doubt they lose to us. Probably Ole Miss too.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I give JF his due but I think the team around him was good too...their O-line was pretty good. I think they caught us at just the right time last year. Maybe this year we can catch them early before their offense gels. I think (and time will tell) that A&M will become a future powerhouse in the SEC. They have the coach, they are getting the recruits, and they have the money. Like most of you I don't like someone coming into our house and beating us but I think long term A&M will be another Alabama in terms of overall strength.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
well...it's clear they don't beat us and they probably lose to Ole Miss...and I think they probably still beat LA Tech to.
Against LT, whom TAMU only beat by 2, Manziel had 395 passing yards and 3 TDs and 181 rushing yards and 3 more TDs. It was his best statistical game. They definitely lose that one.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Two things would have been different:
Bama would have been 14-0 when getting 15.
The Heisman trust would have serious egg on their face after giving the award to Manti once the girlfriend hoax was exposed.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
well...it's clear they don't beat us and they probably lose to Ole Miss...and I think they probably still beat LA Tech

So I say they end up 8-4...and beat Clemson in the Chick-fil-a Bowl...making them 9-4 in the end. I don't think they would have dominated all of those other teams...but they would have been good enough to win them. Manziel definitely took them to another level though.
Clemson beat LSWho badly in the Chick-fil-a bowl (close on the scoreboard but not really that close) so I think they would have beaten a non-JM A&M team and finished 8-5 or 7-6.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Two things would have been different:
Bama would have been 14-0 when getting 15.
The Heisman trust would have serious egg on their face after giving the award to Manti once the girlfriend hoax was exposed.
I've said it numerous times: AJ lost the Heisman when Johnny Manziel won it in Tuscaloosa. If Bama beats A&M, AJ wins the Heisman in 2012.

Clemson beat LSWho badly in the Chick-fil-a bowl (close on the scoreboard but not really that close) so I think they would have beaten a non-JM A&M team and finished 8-5 or 7-6.
LSU crapped their pants in Atlanta, though. They just played bad. A&M, with or without Johnny, would have given Dabo issues.

Um... I rather beat them with him.
Glad you feel that way, but that's not why BB started the thread.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I agree that we would have beat them because we would not have gotten frustrated chasing after Johnny F. It was like chasing the Notre Dame linebacker's girlfriend. It was like chasing a ghost.

I also think Mississippi would have beat them.

Without Johnny F., I don't think A & M could have scored enough to beat LA Tech. After watching that game, I really felt Bama would have no trouble beating A & M. I didn't think they could score against Bama like they did against LA Tech. They didn't after the 1st quarter. It was like LA Tech did not have a defense on the field (like Bama in the 1st quarter).

So I'll say 7 - 5.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I've said it numerous times: AJ lost the Heisman when Johnny Manziel won it in Tuscaloosa. If Bama beats A&M, AJ wins the Heisman in 2012.

LSU crapped their pants in Atlanta, though. They just played bad. A&M, with or without Johnny, would have given Dabo issues.

I think Clemson ran close to 100 plays and LSWho defense could not get off the field and I think they would have done the same to A&M's "D" also on that night. As far as skilled players on offense Clemson is close to the top. However, I do think LSWho would beat Clemson 7 out of 10 times.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Colt McCoy was not even in the same stratosphere of a JF. JF falls into that category of Tebow and Newton regarding his impact on a game. It simply a hypothetical question and definitely no sour grapes. We won the national championship for crying out loud. LOL! But JF is a phenomenal athlete who's impromptu type plays definitely contributed to a lot of their success.
I think he meant the "what-if" conversations are pointless. Whether it's crying on the part of Texas or arguing that Bama would've beaten A&M. One whine is no better than the other. At least that's how I took it.

Oh I know why he started and I agree with him. They don't have him they are worst than medicore. I don't think they would have been .500.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think he meant the "what-if" conversations are pointless. Whether it's crying on the part of Texas or arguing that Bama would've beaten A&M. One whine is no better than the other. At least that's how I took it.
That's not the argument nor is it a whine. We won the NC....again. Not a lot to whine about. The "argument", if that's what we want to call it, is if aTm didn't have JF would they have made as big of a splash as they did. It's off season subject matter. But I promise you it's not "whining".

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't see BB whining with this thread. Not sure why others are. I see it more of a "how talented Johnny Manziel" thread than a "if he wasn't playing..." thread.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.