What if aTm didn't have Johnny Football last season?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Oh I know why he started and I agree with him. They don't have him they are worst than medicore. I don't think they would have been .500.
You are discounting a lot of things.

Mike Sherman was a very good recruiter. His 2011 team was poised to compete for the Big 12 championship. They lost something like 5 games after having a double digit lead at halftime. They led Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas State, and Texas at halftime and lost all of those games. And most of them were big leads. I don't remember them leading Oklahoma at the half, which was their other loss.

That team has and will continue to put several players in the NFL. It was basically the same team that went 11-2 last year, with the coaching staff and Manziel being the difference. Manziel was a big part of that, but I contend that Sumlin and his staff made up the bulk of the difference.

I think they're an 8-4 team at worst without Manziel last season.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Something to remember about A&M last year: Manziel wasn't the starter when Spring practice ended. He took the position during fall camp.

When the backup QB came into games, the offense didn't appear to miss a beat. However, I don't think they beat us. Very possible they lose to Ole Miss because they should have with Manziel as QB.
the reason for that is Kliff Kingsbury. Despite the credit Sumlin gets, Kingsbury was the mastermind behind that offense. He's now the head coach at Texas Tech.

You are discounting a lot of things.

Mike Sherman was a very good recruiter. His 2011 team was poised to compete for the Big 12 championship. They lost something like 5 games after having a double digit lead at halftime. They led Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas State, and Texas at halftime and lost all of those games. And most of them were big leads. I don't remember them leading Oklahoma at the half, which was their other loss.

That team has and will continue to put several players in the NFL. It was basically the same team that went 11-2 last year, with the coaching staff and Manziel being the difference. Manziel was a big part of that, but I contend that Sumlin and his staff made up the bulk of the difference.

I think they're an 8-4 team at worst without Manziel last season.
I see what you are saying, however looking at the games they won with us Ole Miss , LA Tech, those are losses. That's fives losses total so far which makes then 7-5, they more than likely lose to MSU 6-6. They had other close games as well. This is just my opinion. The guy raised his team up and that's how good he was. He masked deficiencies with all he did. It's also possible they go to a bowl at 6-6 and lose there.

RAB83

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 13, 2012
Without Manziel, A&M likely loses to Ole Miss, La Tech, and Alabama, giving us a 7-5 regular season, which everyone would have considered a successful first SEC season. The #2 QB, Showers was a stud with a rifle for an arm, so who knows?

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I think Clemson ran close to 100 plays and LSWho defense could not get off the field and I think they would have done the same to A&M's "D" also on that night. As far as skilled players on offense Clemson is close to the top. However, I do think LSWho would beat Clemson 7 out of 10 times.
LSU has a knack for winning games that they don't deserve to win that is almost their style. But all that matters is the score. I lost a 5 game parlay on that game because Les decided to pass it 2 times on 2nd and 2 after a pretty nice play call to pass on 1st down. Although Clemson probably outplayed them the game was there for LSU to win.

As far as the thread subject I agree with most people that they would have lost to Ole Miss and us. I have no idea who their backup is but I doubt he is able to do the things that JF does. La Tech is another possibility for a loss. As others have said I think the overall talent of A&M was discounted last year. It's not as if JF was just willing a mediocre team to an elite level.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
LSU has a knack for winning games that they don't deserve to win that is almost their style. But all that matters is the score. I lost a 5 game parlay on that game because Les decided to pass it 2 times on 2nd and 2 after a pretty nice play call to pass on 1st down. Although Clemson probably outplayed them the game was there for LSU to win.

As far as the thread subject I agree with most people that they would have lost to Ole Miss and us. I have no idea who their backup is but I doubt he is able to do the things that JF does. La Tech is another possibility for a loss. As others have said I think the overall talent of A&M was discounted last year. It's not as if JF was just willing a mediocre team to an elite level.
Their 2nd string QB may be good, but you just don't plug in a sub for the HT winner without some rolloff. I think their sub is supposed to be a pretty good passing QB, but we've seen a lot of those. What hurt us was JM's escapability and I've never seen the equal of his since Fran Tarkenton...

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Their 2nd string QB may be good, but you just don't plug in a sub for the HT winner without some rolloff. I think their sub is supposed to be a pretty good passing QB, but we've seen a lot of those. What hurt us was JM's escapability and I've never seen the equal of his since Fran Tarkenton...
His escapability is absurd. He's incredibly slippery and also pretty dang fast. It also hurt us that he didn't throw his first incompletion until about 6 minutes left in the 3rd qtr if I remember correctly. I finally worked myself up to rewatching the game and it was stunning how we were unable to force and incompletion until that late in the game. It took us far too long to shut off the short slant passes out of the slot. They really feasted with the short passing game. I think we are going to have to play all of their receivers close and just pray that he isn't accurate with the deep ball that day. I found his accuracy to be questionable on the long ball except the last TD he hit which was just a perfect pass, but several others in the game were thrown short.

I know Kirby said it was a mistake that we didn't rush him with more guys. I think this year we will send more after him but hopefully in a more disciplined way than we did at times last year. I also think we will really clamp down on the short passing game and see what they can do. If he beats us deep all game that will be better than allowing him to sit back there and pick us apart or rip off 5 yard passes ad nauseum.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.