Howard's Rock at Clemson Vandalized

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
It seems that someone has decided to follow in the footsteps of Harvey Updike and destroy a significant piece of history at Clemson University. This is not what rivalries are about. :mad:

Clemson, SC—Howard’s Rock, the iconic fixture Clemson players rub prior to running down the hill during the football team’s entrance into Memorial Stadium, was vandalized sometime June 2nd or June 3rd. A small portion of The Rock was broken off of its pedestal after vandals broke the casing that protects the artifact.
http://www.tigernet.com/update/football/Howards-Rock-Vandalized-11344

Personally I think a "small portion" is a bit of an understatement:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It's a shame some fans takes a rivalry to an extreme it doesnt need to go to..The traditions each school has..Is what makes college football the greatest sport on the planet..Some good nature ribbing is ok & adds a positive to an rivalry..But..Stuff like this takes the fun out of the game needlessly..JMHO

Here's an old college Gameday video from ESPN about "Howards Rock"..

[video=youtube;lmeLvrDRQ5c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lmeLvrDRQ5c[/video]

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Auburn with a lake.

Would somebody please think of the rocks!
I was in Clemson for work about a year ago. I had some free time so I decided to visit their campus and buy a Clemson t-shirt. I went to a couple campus stores (they were on spring break so the campus was deserted) but did not get one because all the shirts looked like Barn shirts with the color scheme they use. Just couldn't do it.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Just a few years ago no one cared about Clemson now they are bringing out the haters. I hate to see this stuff but there are a good number of fans that are just nuts. They could not tell you what their teams record was LY but know what to tear up.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
When I read the title, I thought "Oh, someone spraypainted something on the rock" and that it would be easily fixed. Clearly I was being optimistic...

LoyalAlum

Scout Team
Jun 13, 2009
When Bama played Clemson way back in 1982/83 (my memory grows dim of those ancient days) the Clemson faithful painted tiger paws on the highway all the way back to Clemson...all the way to T-Town. It was actually quite impressive. Rumor had there were a couple of fraternities that had cut holes in the floorboards of a couple of cars and were stenciling the road.

anyways...those paws were there on the road for years.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I always liked Clemson because they always hired Bama guys from Frank Howard to Danny Ford to Dabo.

In the late 80s SI did a huge story on Howard that might be the funniest thing I have ever read in SI. He tells the best stories about his time in Tuscaloosa working at Bryce to how he snuck into the Clemson BoT meeting and seconded the motion on his own hiring without any of the BoT members knowing he was in the room. Plus, if you have ever read CPB autobiography, "BEAR" he tells a great story about coaching against Howard in an All Star game and another about rigging scales in Tuscaloosa to prove to Howard how fat he was.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
OK Gamecock fans. Get ready for every time you do something good, a rock story will come out.
I am not the biggest Dabo fan in the world. But, when Lattimore got hurt last year and Dabo wished him a speedy recovery and bragged that he was what was good about college football, to then have CSS take cheap shots at Clemson and Dabo while having many USCe fans cheer it on, then USCe gets what they deserve, IMHO. This was no tree or rock, but a player who sustained a gruesome injury and get complimented from his main rival's head coach to have his own head coach act like a child. But then, that is what everyone comes to expect from CSS nowadays.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
They could always do what my wife and I did when my child brought the class pet hamster home for the Christmas Holidays a few years back. The hamster died during our two weeks of keeping it, so we went to our local pet store and bought another hamster that looked just like it. The kids never knew any different. We did tell the teacher about what happened if any of the kids noticed. They could get another rock and place it in the same place. Rock quarries are everywhere it seems. I know it would not be the original, but it could get them by.

BocaLance

All-American
Oct 18, 2001
Douglasville (Atlanta), GA
Pathetic.
Some people just have too much time occupying their little minds and hands.
Sadly, crap like this gets turned on the rival. One nutjob like Harvey Updyke, for instance, and every news story about him is "Alabama fan ..." as if he represents the ideals of an entire university and athletic program.

Does he represent Alabama any more than the .... who did this represents S. Carolina - just because they are a "fan?"

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
They could always do what my wife and I did when my child brought the class pet hamster home for the Christmas Holidays a few years back. The hamster died during our two weeks of keeping it, so we went to our local pet store and bought another hamster that looked just like it. The kids never knew any different. We did tell the teacher about what happened if any of the kids noticed. They could get another rock and place it in the same place. Rock quarries are everywhere it seems. I know it would not be the original, but it could get them by.
Do you realize how long it takes to make a rock like Howard's rock?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.