Link: Article on draft picks from Bama..for what it's worth

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Mark Ingram has had ample opportunity at New Orleans? What league is this guy watching? McClain is the only guy that hasn't panned out, the rest it's way too early to tell.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I've wondered the same thing from time to time. To me it goes to show you how great of a coach Saban is to be honest. He gets these guys to mentally go to a level they couldn't go by themselves and sustain it for three to four years.

I'm not sure what happens to them. I guess it could be said that though they have the talent (because all of them do) they simply aren't able to sustain that mental edge of discipline once they leave. Now Julio, Trent, Mark Barron, D.Hightower and even Upshaw have contributed quite well. Andre Smith started panning out after he got his "issues" under control. Not sure what these that have popped up are for. But for the last several years he's been a good player on the Bengals OL.

I don't even count Ingram because of how the Saints run their offense and use their RB's. That was a waste for both Mark and the Saints.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Part of the problem is these guys were drafted high... when the crappy organizations draft.

And Mark Ingram is completely misused in New Orleans. I felt so good to see him go there, but it's turned out to have been the worst possible fit. They simply do not know how to use a true runningback in that offense.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The premise didn't seem to be that Alabama players drafted in the first round are any worse than players from other teams - just that they are not any better than those from other teams. Many first rounders don't have spectacular NFL careers, and a few never see a second contract. Alabama players don't appear to be immune from that concern.

This article strikes me as a response to the general notion that Saban's players are better prepared for the NFL than players from other programs. So far, this has not proved to be consistently true. That doesn't make him any less spectacular as a college coach. In fact, it might demonstrate that he is an even better coach than some realize - that his players really aren't that much more gifted, but he gets more out of them.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
He kind of took a sideways shot at Trent based on his average yardage, but that's kind of an example of why some Tide guys have struggled (terrible situations). I looked things up, but Trent by himself increased the Brown's scoring significantly. He accounted for something like 7 more (rushing and total) touchdowns than they had the previous year.

The Browns did absolutely nothing to improve their offense this off-season, but adding 7 touchdowns to your offense is a fantastic addition.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Saban's job is to win football games at Alabama. I wish all our guys well, but I don't get emotionally involved in the players' NFL careers.

CrimsonBeachBum

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Pace, FL (Pensacola metro area)
He kind of took a sideways shot at Trent based on his average yardage, but that's kind of an example of why some Tide guys have struggled (terrible situations). I looked things up, but Trent by himself increased the Brown's scoring significantly. He accounted for something like 7 more (rushing and total) touchdowns than they had the previous year.

The Browns did absolutely nothing to improve their offense this off-season, but adding 7 touchdowns to your offense is a fantastic addition.
Trent also made the Top 100 players for 2012 (NFL Network).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.