Question: How Do Y'all Feel About Juniors Leaving Early For The NFL

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I've never liked the rule that allows Juniors to skip their senior year of college football for the NFL..It's taken away some mighty good players from college football to early & it's made us college fans miss out on what would've been some great years of college football from those players..On the other hand..I can understand those players might risk injury & miss out on a lot of money..Still..I wish that rule was never allowed to happen & players were forced to graduate from college before going to the NFL..Cause the majority of players blow right through all that money & doesn't have that college diploma to fall back on when the money runs dry..I feel like the education should come before the NFL..

What's y'alls opinion?????..

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
I think it creates more buzz for your school in terms of bragging rights. I to would like to see certain players stay and see if by them staying you have a better shot at a title. I also can see the good in it because by upper classmen leaving it forces younger players to step up and come into their own a lot sooner. JMO.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't have a problem with it.

Used to, freshmen were not eligible to play. This didn't change until the late 70s, it seems. So, for many years, players only had 3 years to play. Well, for your great players, that's true today as well. The missed year is just at the end of their collegiate career, not the beginning.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I can't argue at all really with any of y'all..I don't blame players that take advantage of the rule..I guess I'm a college football traditionalist..I just hate missing out on the years..When those great players leave early for the NFL..

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i have no prob at all with it. As a junior their body is mature enough and they have had plenty of coaching. They are able to make an impact at the next level. The issue for me is allowing players to be one and done in basketball.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I hate to see the guys go early, but I understand. It's another year in their prime when they could be enabling themselves to support their families (if need be, or just set themselves up
financially). I would like to see each NFL team be required to supply these early departure players with a financial advisor as part of a contract and that the player themselves be required to consult with said advisor and complete some kind of economics awareness course to help avoid the downfall so many of them have experienced after striking it 'rich'.
Or is that too much to ask or just totally inane?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Until colleges start paying players a living wage, I support it 100%. Change that and I might change my opinion.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
As mentioned above I would like basketball to have a rule similar to football. If they can make millions go for it.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I dont like it. I know the huge amount of money is more than most can resist but I will never like it. You came to college and as a result you developed your skills then left the team for money.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If you were a GREAT football player (MUCHO TALENTED) and you could not leave until after your 3rd years in college and you were not being paid for what you are worth in college, you would want to leave so that you could get the $$,$$$,$$$ or maybe $$$,$$$.$$$ while you were still healthy and good/great. Otherwise, you could lose out on the BIG $bucks?.

You can always go back and get your degree and live in luxury in a nice condo, drive a nice car, etc. and not struggle to survive on limited resources if you use the Big Bucks wisely.

I like to see Alabama win, but you only got so many years to be productive and some positions on a football team, e.g.. running back, are really limited in the number of years they can play.

So, good luck to any player who can benefit from being able to leave early. In reality, it is a form of slavery to make someone stay for even 3 years while a University Athletic Department makes BIG BUCKS because of the GREAT ONES. So, even though I like to see Bama win championships, the individual has to do what he has to do.

This is not like baseball where you can play in the minor leagues making money until you can go to The Show. College football is really like a farm system but you are performing and improving your skills but not making a salary (at least I don't think you are).

Glenn_B

1st Team
May 31, 2010
Lost in Tennessee
Leaving early is OK if they're projected to be an early draft pick. My biggest complaint is theat they have to declare and lose the option to return. I never understood this as baseball players are drafted and then decide whether to return or not. Look at all the defensive players LSU would have back next year if this were the case. (7 players undrafted, looks like 3 of those left early) That's not to say they didn't get free agent deals.

uofaJO1987

1st Team
Oct 25, 2011
Highland Home, AL
It is what it is. I'm not fond of it, but I understand their reasoning. As a side note take away that rule and look at BAMA's teams in '10, and '11. In 2010 you still have McClain anchoring your defense, and in '11 you add Julio and Mark Ingram to a team that won a national championship. If that rule doesn't exist we could possibly be discussing a fifth straight title. It would be a bit far fetched, but I think with McClain's ability to change the defense on the field we would have been more of a contender in 2010 than we were. We were really still in contention until the loss to LSU that year anyway. Maybe McClain doesn't make that much different, but who knows.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
There are lots of things that I do not like. This is that is not worth "going to the mats" over. It stinks, but it hurts everyone, and gives more players a chance to play.

Not letting freshman play was something that needed to go, so as someone pointed out, it all works out to 3 years.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.