Link: Oregon About To Learn Its Fate From NCAA (they got a wrist slap, barely)

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Re: Oregon About To Learn Its Fate From NCAA

They didn't get a wrist slap, either. It's not like the NCAA only goes after Southern schools, which is what the poster Implied[/B].

If by 'going after' you mean investigating and charging violations, you're completely off base. That's not what I 'implied' at all. If by 'going after' you mean applying excessively harsh penalties, you are correct.

The NCAA has a history of leveling uneven penalties on a case by case basis. IMO, they tend to get far more heavy-handed with sanctions on southern schools than they do with others. Of course, you can point to exceptions; but my opinion still stands.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

My thoughts are this is going to be very,very light. We will see soon if I am wrong.

I think this Obannon law suit is their main focus, that & the legal action to come on whatever they do with the Canes.

They the NCAA are gonna need friends, soon.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA

Now, if forcing Oregon to wear the same uniform and helmet more than one time in a season and not being allowed to wear neon colors is considered 'hammering,' then, yes . . . yes . . . I expect them to get the hammer. ;)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Oregon will have a press conference at 10:00 central. The report will be released at 9:30 central.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Forget the probation, the meaningless order to show cause, and the menial recruiting restrictions...

Real penalties here: 3 scholarships lost, no bowl ban. That's a slap on the wrist, and a best-case-scenario outcome for Oregon. Could have a very real impact on the national championship race, too, just like the Textbook-gate decision in '09 and the Ohio State decision about 18 months ago.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

How did they not at least get a 1 year bowl ban? This is a joke. Loss of 3 scholarships? Umm...join the SEC and you'll have that every year thanks to the new 25 rule.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett

This is no punishment at all. It's 1 scholarship a year for 3 years, correct? Give me a break.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Colin Cowherd just jokingly said "How often do you get to say 'Congratulations to the University of Oregon on the sanctions'."

He is pretty livid right now. He said "they are just spinning a wheel in Indy. What did it land on? 1 scholarship loss...ok"

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA

So improper use of textbooks at Alabama is a much, much more serious offense than improper recruiting at Oregon?

regardless of Alabama being inside of the probation period...we still would have been hit harder than Oregon got today...and we took every step necessary to resolve the problem ourselves

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett

Chip Kelly will make roughly $9,000,000.00 while under the NCAA's show clause. Poor guy.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

I didn't see a "show cause" in the sanctions. Just 3 years probation, and loss of one scholarship.

Edit: It is now showing up. Initial reports did not contain any such reference. Serves me right for trusting the media!

Last edited:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

Toothless. How do they expect anyone to take them seriously as an organization?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.