Link: Blowhole's (Finebaum) coming back on the Air:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Re: Blowhole's coming back on the Air:

The Zone had three major problems. First, they had a revolving door of hosts. The lineup at Jox has been pretty stable for several years. But I lost count of how many combinations of formats they had. I think Scarbo was the only one who survived from the beginning.

Second, their advertisements turned me off. Saying you are "On the rise" is one thing. But I don't want to hear constant bashing of the other station in your ads. If I want to hear little brother whine about how they are going to be top dog someday, I'll go read ITAT.

Lastly, the whole Paul Finebaum situation. When they weren't bashing Jox, they were touting how he was going to join their team. Then he left Jox and eventually left town. If you are going to brag about doing something, you better be able to do it.

I don't know how he'll be received in Charlotte. I don't see it as much of a college football hotbed, at least not the SEC. I suppose since his show will be nationally syndicated, it really won't matter if anyone in Charlotte listens.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The Zone had three major problems. First, they had a revolving door of hosts. The lineup at Jox has been pretty stable for several years. But I lost count of how many combinations of formats they had. I think Scarbo was the only one who survived from the beginning.

Second, their advertisements turned me off. Saying you are "On the rise" is one thing. But I don't want to hear constant bashing of the other station in your ads. If I want to hear little brother whine about how they are going to be top dog someday, I'll go read ITAT.

Lastly, the whole Paul Finebaum situation. When they weren't bashing Jox, they were touting how he was going to join their team. Then he left Jox and eventually left town. If you are going to brag about doing something, you better be able to do it.

I don't know how he'll be received in Charlotte. I don't see it as much of a college football hotbed, at least not the SEC. I suppose since his show will be nationally syndicated, it really won't matter if anyone in Charlotte listens.
That is correct. He's really there for the convenience of ESPN, since they have a facility there...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The fact is that Finebaum needed a syndicate or station to pick him up, he just didn't need 97.3 to do it. They were stupid to think they could just show up and have Finebaum fix all their programming upon his Citadel lawsuit. They built their whole business around maybes. You should not go to market when your cornerstone isn't in pocket.

Considering Finebaum's connections, he probably realized ESPN/SECN was his future years ago and he would have probably made stead on 97.3 until it materialized if his suit was successful. It was just so late in the process that he went straight to ESPN after his contract with 94.5.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Hate to see The Zone shut down only because I liked Scarbinsky's show. He changed my opinion of him.

This begs the question - What channels get Finebaum if an ESPN radio station can't pick him up?

Scarbinsky has you fooled. He is an AU supporter and no friend of Bama. He is not malicious and can give Bama/Saban some credit, but is not even very subtle in his attacks on Bama and shilling for AU. Though I read few of his articles I could give you several examples. When he can't attack the program he and Raita constantly disparage the fanbase while defending AU's. Other than Brando, I've not seen the media attack a fanbase as unrelentingly as Scarbinsky and Raita.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Scarbinsky has you fooled. He is an AU supporter and no friend of Bama. He is not malicious and can give Bama/Saban some credit, but is not even very subtle in his attacks on Bama and shilling for AU. Though I read few of his articles I could give you several examples. When he can't attack the program he and Raita constantly disparage the fanbase while defending AU's. Other than Brando, I've not seen the media attack a fanbase as unrelentingly as Scarbinsky and Raita.
I felt the same way when I read his columns. You change your opinion when listening to him. He explains himself more and doesn't sound like the Aub he appears to be.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

I felt the same way when I read his columns. You change your opinion when listening to him. He explains himself more and doesn't sound like the Aub he appears to be.
:iagree: They do a bit on the show called "What was Kevin thinking?" where Scott basically treats Kevins latest column like the stupidest thing he's ever read. Kevin explains his thinking on whatever the topic was. It's a good segment and pretty effective. Most of the time, I understand the thought process even if I don't agree with his conclusion. I never really bought into the "Kevin hates Bama and love Auburn" outlook, anyway. But, I definitely don't after listening to their show pretty regularly.

I'll miss their show. IMO, Kevin and Scott are both knowledgeable and work well together. Plus, I enjoy their brand of humor.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I agree with you, in that he sounds/is more fair on the air, as I have listened to him and actually enjoyed it. But that does not change his AU/Bama slant, including his constant, unfair carping against Bama's fanbase. And he does not "appear to be an Aub", he is one. In the past he has admitted it, he may not own up to it now.

A couple of examples of his pathetic bias: he writes not one but 2 columns criticizing a star (I forget which one) Bama recruit for switching his commitment from AU to Bama, then a few weeks later he writes one encouraging AU to send a their entire coaching staff to Jameis Winston's house to convince him to switch his commitment from FSU to AU.

He wrote multiple columns criticizing Bama and its idol-worshiping fanbase for having statues of NC coaches. He acted like, though he knows better, that Bama fans literally worship Saban, thus a statue would be built for him, though we all know it was a formality for any NC winning coach. He even posits that it is psychologically/spiritually unhealthy for a man/Coach Saban to be so idolized. Then he tops it off by reversing field and praising AU for building statues to its Heisman winning players. (I guess the players are better equipped to handle the adoration).

There are many others. Though he is a talented writer (great wordsmith and great with literary devices, but only average perception) and a decent electronic personality, his gross bias blights all he does. He constantly digs at the Bama fanbase.

EddieTorres

Aug 1, 2012
Birmingham,Al

I agree. Sports Czars is the worst show I have ever heard...besides Rick and Bubba. Loved Scarbinski and Griffen, best morning show by far.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Well, maybe Scarb and his show might find a place on WJOX if they were well liked.

EddieTorres

Aug 1, 2012
Birmingham,Al

Doubt it man. With Finebaum coming back to the normal time slot, I assume The RoundTable will move back to 10-2 and they will bump Matt and Scott.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.