*** JUCO OT Dominick Jackson commits to Alabama ***

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Re: ***JUCO OT Dominick Jackson commits to BAMA***

Sounds like a solid pickup, but how are you "solid" in your commitment if you haven't even been to campus yet? Why would you even commit without a visit unless the coaches put the hot-box squeeze on the phone? I hope he sticks, but we need to get him on campus ASAP.
The guy said it was his dream. When your dream comes along, you take it.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

A few points on this one:

We've recruited Jackson to play right tackle, not left. Jackson has a huge frame and is more of the mauler that we like out of that position. It's possible that he could play left tackle in a pinch, but I don't think he has the fluid footwork that the staff really wants to play left tackle. Cameron Robinson remains our top LT prospect, and nothing with the Jackson commitment changes that.

In terms of academics, he's not expected to graduate early and enroll this upcoming January. He'll be someone who graduates JUCO next spring, and the fact that the staff was willing to take him at this point shows (1) how high they are on him, and (2) how big of an emphasis they are placing on quality tackle prospects in this class.

Finally, he had some glowing comments about committing to us, and hopefully it sticks. Having said that, though, some real words of caution here: He has never left the state of California before, never visited UA, and he did just commit to another school just a few weeks ago. No real reason to think he won't stick as of right now, but based on the foregoing it wouldn't be a shock if he doesn't stick it out for another eight months. Hopefully we can get him on campus soon.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

With Brown's recent problems is this the back up plan at right tackle? Robinson would seem the logical replacement for Cyrus after he gets rich next spring in the draft.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Sounds like a solid pickup, but how are you "solid" in your commitment if you haven't even been to campus yet? Why would you even commit without a visit unless the coaches put the hot-box squeeze on the phone? I hope he sticks, but we need to get him on campus ASAP.
I'm with you, but in fairness that is a lot more common than you think. We've had several guys the past few years that never set foot on campus before committing, and a few whose only trip to Tuscaloosa came on their official visit. Lot of times family finances and geographic distance just don't allow for it otherwise.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

A few points on this one:

We've recruiting Jackson to play right tackle, not left. Jackson has a huge frame and is more of the mauler that we like out of that position. It's possible that he could play left tackle in a pinch, but I don't think he has the fluid footwork that the staff really wants to play left tackle. Cameron Robinson remains are top LT prospect, and nothing with the Jackson commitment changes that.

In terms of academics, he's not expected to graduate early and enroll this upcoming January. He'll be someone who graduates JUCO next spring, and the fact that the staff was willing to take him at this point shows (1) how high they are on him, and (2) how big of an emphasis they are playing on quality tackle prospects in this class.

Finally, he had some glowing comments about committing to us, and hopefully it sticks. Having said that, though, some real words of caution here: He has never left the state of California before, never visited UA, and he did just commit to another school just a few weeks ago. No real reason to think he won't stick as of right now, but based on the foregoing it wouldn't be a shock if he doesn't stick it out for another eight months. Hopefully we can get him on campus soon.
Thanks, you answered my question. We were posting at about the same time.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Our other OL Cali commit, Talamaivo, has not been on campus yet either and I am not worried about either not being solid. With Coach Saban and our incredible success, kids want to play for us sight unseen.

Welcome Dominick and RTR!!!!!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Since he's a RT, does this indicate anything about the possibility of Austin leaving early for the NFL? Or can he replace Steen at RG?

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Since he's a RT, does this indicate anything about the possibility of Austin leaving early for the NFL? Or can he replace Steen at RG?
I doubt AS is going pro early. Most likely scenario is DJ has to back up AS for one season; he may have a RS year to use since both Brown and Shepherd are the same classification. He could get the look right away at RG since he's known as a sick run blocker; but I think that depends on the development of guys like Luatua and Taylor. If Robinson doesn't pan out or our interior guys don't develop, he probably starts right away; at absolute worst, he's a solid backup for 2 years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.