*** CB Marlon Humphrey Signs With Alabama ***

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Marlon Humphrey in the News in NC

It would be interesting to see if there's any difference between Cochran's S&C routine differs for hurdlers and DBs...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I've never heard that. In fact I believe the opposite is true.

I think Marlon will come to Bama but will wait until signing day.
Correct. When Vogler committed, he talked about possibly playing basketball. Obviously, he hasn't, but he did mention the possibility.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011

RGIII was an incredible hurdler but put that aside so he could bulk up for football. It would be easier for Marlon to do it from a position standpoint, but it is just hard to do both on a high level. I haven't seen Sylve run track yet and he has incredible speed.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010

It would be interesting to see if there's any difference between Cochran's S&C routine differs for hurdlers and DBs...
True enough. Not sure what the difference in training would be these days. The whole track and football thing worked out pretty well for Rod Woodson when he was at Purdue though.
It sure would be intimidating for opposing receivers to know they have to get by a CB with Olympic speed.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

True enough. Not sure what the difference in training would be these days. The whole track and football thing worked out pretty well for Rod Woodson when he was at Purdue though.
It sure would be intimidating for opposing receivers to know they have to get by a CB with Olympic speed.
He's much faster than all but a few elite receivers...

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

Marlon talks about playing football at the next level which seems to be more important than the Olympics. Who better to teach him that Coach Saban? I can't think of anyone -- just ask all the DBs who now play in the NFL.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010

Hopefully, he will be able to do both at Alabama. Willie Gault, Timmy White, Michael Carter, Dion, Michael Bates, Anthony Miller, Julius Peppers, Ed Reed, Chad Jones are just a few players that I can think of who were two sport athletes, albeit at other schools and during different times.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Hopefully, he will be able to do both at Alabama. Willie Gault, Timmy White, Michael Carter, Dion, Michael Bates, Anthony Miller, Julius Peppers, Ed Reed, Chad Jones are just a few players that I can think of who were two sport athletes, albeit at other schools and during different times.
A really good example recently is Jeff Demps of FLA won a silver medal in the 2012 Olympics and is playing for the NE Patriots.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Tennessee has had a number of football\track athletes.

I recall Julio was the triple jump champ in high school and said he'd like to do it in college when he signed, but obviously he decided to concentrate on football.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL

Used to be that TN nearly always had a top ranked track team that included some of the finest receivers in the nation. This was in the 70's and 80's.

It was almost a given. Used to make me sick!

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Used to be that TN nearly always had a top ranked track team that included some of the finest receivers in the nation. This was in the 70's and 80's.

It was almost a given. Used to make me sick!
Seems like I remember that Willie Gault ran track for them as well. He may have even won a medal at the Olympics.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Tennessee has had a number of football\track athletes.

I recall Julio was the triple jump champ in high school and said he'd like to do it in college when he signed, but obviously he decided to concentrate on football.
The only difference is that while Julio is a freak. That Marlon is a bigger freak when it comes to being a track athlete. He could honestly make the olympics along with Tony Brown in this class. But, RG3 could have as well ,but chose the football route and is doing pretty well.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

The 2016 Summer Olympics are in Rio de Janeiro August 5-21. I doubt Saban would want him missing summer camp.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I really can't see him running track as being anything but positive. What better sport to get you in better physical condition?
If anything it will help him get faster and faster. I'll be very surprised if Coach S. doesn't say "Go for it" as far as the two sports.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The only difference is that while Julio is a freak. That Marlon is a bigger freak when it comes to being a track athlete. He could honestly make the olympics along with Tony Brown in this class. But, RG3 could have as well ,but chose the football route and is doing pretty well.
And so is Julio...

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

I think it boils down what sport and how much Time you have devote to it, and make up of the player, Bo jackson did very well, and what he did with two totally different sports was great. It is possible!

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

I really can't see him running track as being anything but positive. What better sport to get you in better physical condition?
If anything it will help him get faster and faster. I'll be very surprised if Coach S. doesn't say "Go for it" as far as the two sports.
I agree with this.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

And so is Julio...
Julio is also the most perfect physical specimen I believe I've ever seen, and on top of that, he works his butt off to get more and more awesome every single week. I honestly don't think there's a better receiver in the N.F.L.
A lot of people would argue that but I see him a lot on television. He's pretty darn dominant and Atlanta became a whole lot better as soon as he arrived. Love me some Julio.
Good person, dedicated, character, smart, great example for kids...the epitome of what Nick Saban strives to develop in a young man.
If Humphrey can come within a mile of Julio he'll be a great player for us.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.