*** CB Marlon Humphrey Signs With Alabama ***

WsN

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 15, 2013
Re: CB Marlon Humphrey Updates

@AndrewJBonenow
Marlon Humphrey (@marlon_humphrey) finishes No.2 in the world in 110m hurdles (13.24). Second fastest high school time in US history
Young man future is definitely bright...I for one cannot wait until he make it official and roll with the tide. UA team of the future Will be absolutely scary!

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

Marlon's track ability, and future, might very well outshine his football potential.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Marlon's track ability, and future, might very well outshine his football potential.
I was thinking the same thing.

Does anyone out there know the differences between a world class sprinter's S&C program vs. that for a national championship-level cornerback?

As in, would the needs for a Saban CB interfere with world-class sprints?

In track, his competition is concentrating solely on track, and the difference between gold and also-ran is hundredths, even thousandths, of a second.

I guess what I'm really asking is at this level -- national championship football vs. Olympic medal track -- do you really have to choose one or the other?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

His track skills may outshine his football skills but he is going to make a lot more $ in the NFL if he develops like most think. I saw an interview with him where he said he grew up wanting to play football and was his passion and track presented itself along the way and he realized he was very good at it also. I hope and think he will do both at Bama and will eventually be a NFL player.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

My concern is that Marlon may have more of a desire to win a gold medal for the USA than to win a NC for Alabama.

Would CNS let MH run track at Bama? I think so. Is it in MH's best interest to run track at Alabama and try to win a gold medal AND play football? I don't know, but I fear the answer (as a Bama football fan)!

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

Run track and play football at Bama. Get a couple of national championships in football and track(don't laugh...Bama finished 11th at NCAA's this year), win a gold medal in the Olympics and become the first true defensive player to win the Heisman. Then go on to a multi-million dollar NFL career. Saban has a plan....Roll Tide! :)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Run track and play football at Bama. Get a couple of national championships in football and track(don't laugh...Bama finished 11th at NCAA's this year), win a gold medal in the Olympics and become the first true defensive player to win the Heisman. Then go on to a multi-million dollar NFL career. Saban has a plan....Roll Tide! :)
We did hire one of the best track coaches in the country so that is not as far fetched as it sounds.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

One thing to consider with Marlon - we might be expecting a little too much from him football wise. His blue chip peers are doing football camps and 7v7 tourneys this summer while Marlon is running track. Nothing wrong with that at all, I've been watching him hurdle for 4 years now and it is beautiful to watch. He has a gift. I just wonder if the Tony Browns of the world might contribute sooner at the college level because they focus more on football.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Re: CB Marlon Humphrey Updates (Page 4)

Whenever I think of top recruit who is also a big time track star, I recall Xavier Carter who Saban coached at LSU. But, there was also Trindon Holliday.

chains

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2009

One thing to consider with Marlon - we might be expecting a little too much from him football wise. His blue chip peers are doing football camps and 7v7 tourneys this summer while Marlon is running track. Nothing wrong with that at all, I've been watching him hurdle for 4 years now and it is beautiful to watch. He has a gift. I just wonder if the Tony Browns of the world might contribute sooner at the college level because they focus more on football.
Corner is one position where you could actually improve by spending a good bit of time on the track. Technique is learned in the fall and spring. The explosive running and flexibility from track play into the skill set needed at corner. I saw Grant Hill say he was going to throw the discus at Alabama. With the need for speed to defend the spread offenses, we can't pass on track guys.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

I dont think track and football interfere...many top tier football players have run track also....Demps for one...

and it seems that Corner would be one of the positions least impacted, if not enhanced, by an athelete participating in track.

Edit: I didnt see Chains response before posting, but definitly agree.

Last edited:

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas

There shouldn't be an issue with Marlon participating in track at Alabama. Coach Saban had several players do that at LSU, and two 2013 signees (Grant Hill and Anthony Averitt) will be doing track and field this coming year too.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009

I just have a bad feeling that he does not come here.. It is just a feeling but listening to him and everything just doesn't make me feel comfortable.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I just have a bad feeling that he does not come here.. It is just a feeling but listening to him and everything just doesn't make me feel comfortable.
He has openly said Alabama is his leader.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009

He has openly said Alabama is his leader.[/QUOTE
That's great but I think we learned words mean nothing and it being so far away. I'm not saying I think he goes to another school, I just don't feel confident about him coming here. But I hope I am wrong haha

bfg3rd

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 13, 2005

I would be absolutely SHOCKED if he isn't a part of this class. Actually, I would be shocked if he isn't a silent commit already...

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

That's great but I think we learned words mean nothing and it being so far away. I'm not saying I think he goes to another school, I just don't feel confident about him coming here. But I hope I am wrong haha

you'd be one of the very very very few with low confidence here. Basically you and Justin Hokinson who has auburn with 250 lock solid silent commits in this class. :) anythings possible but its highly unlikely he goes elsewhere or even seriously considers. it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I think you are wrong haha...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.