*** CB Marlon Humphrey Signs With Alabama ***

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Re: CB Marlon Humphrey Updates

I agree with RTR91, Marlon starts DAY ONE. He is that good at DB. Remember how good Dee Milliner played as a Freshman? Yes we had growing pains with him as with any TF but Humphrey is 5x the prospect at the same stage as Milliner was. Milliner was very raw out of h.s., Marlon is a star. Not to mention big a physical too.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

I agree with RTR91, Marlon starts DAY ONE. He is that good at DB. Remember how good Dee Milliner played as a Freshman? Yes we had growing pains with him as with any TF but Humphrey is 5x the prospect at the same stage as Milliner was. Milliner was very raw out of h.s., Marlon is a star. Not to mention big a physical too.
he wont start unless he learns the defense, no matter how talented he is....and Sabans defense isnt that easy to pick up...

And I DO remember dee milliner playing as a freshman, and he made a lot of errors...errors that wouldnt have been made if he had been able to learn the plays and get more comfortable befoer seeing the field.

We have some other talented guys, its not like we havent been getting top recruiting classes for the last few years...it always seems like people think we have a lack of experienced guys on the roster every year....

Hes a future star, but if he isnt forced to play early, its always best to let them get comfortable first.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

he wont start unless he learns the defense, no matter how talented he is....and Sabans defense isnt that easy to pick up...

And I DO remember dee milliner playing as a freshman, and he made a lot of errors...errors that wouldnt have been made if he had been able to learn the plays and get more comfortable befoer seeing the field.

We have some other talented guys, its not like we havent been getting top recruiting classes for the last few years...it always seems like people think we have a lack of experienced guys on the roster every year....

Hes a future star, but if he isnt forced to play early, its always best to let them get comfortable first.
It's not that I don't think we have talented guys there waiting and I'm sure RTR91 has the same thought process as well. Have you ever seen Marlon play? I've seen him play for the past two years at least so I've seen him quite a few times. Marlon is just that good. It has nothing to do with what I think is in front of him depth chart wise, it is just a simple opinion on how good this kid is.

Milliner showed the defense can be learned (and others). It can and will be done. You just watch.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Marlon was making plays against Prattville in the state championship as a sophomore. The guy is good.

Dee Milliner made freshman mistakes in year one. Dee Milliner also wasn't limited to CB at Stanhope. I saw him run all of Prattville during his junior year. He played multiple positions, unlike Marlon.

Milliner was a very good talent from what I read in high school. It still takes a while to play defense at Alabama under CNS. No freshman has been able to do it. When Dee was at the star in 2011 it just wasn't fair to everyone else. Then he was a nearly a lock down corner last season save for a couple of plays. Now if Marlon can do better I would love to see it.

Sent from my iPhone

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I think Marlon will have a chance to play very early and we need talented players. According to Saban's presser, he likes our freshmen CB's and I think we will see some of Maurice Smith, Eddie Jackson and/or Johnathon Cook this week against Colorado State.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Marlon was making plays against Prattville in the state championship as a sophomore. The guy is good.

Dee Milliner made freshman mistakes in year one. Dee Milliner also wasn't limited to CB at Stanhope. I saw him run all of Prattville during his junior year. He played multiple positions, unlike Marlon.
Yep we're on the same wave length here.

I also think Dee played a lot of Safety too didn't he?

I think a lot of opinions will change once they see Marlon play.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

Yep we're on the same wave length here.

I also think Dee played a lot of Safety too didn't he?

I think a lot of opinions will change once they see Marlon play.
Im not saying he won't start from day one...he just wont be given the job; he'll have to show he can beat out the other players with experience...

It seems that you guys have had a chance to see him play, which I havent...so I defer to your personal knowledge of him, thats for sure...

If he does start from day 1, then I know we have a good 'un...
;)

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Im not saying he won't start from day one...he just wont be given the job; he'll have to show he can beat out the other players with experience...

It seems that you guys have had a chance to see him play, which I havent...so I defer to your personal knowledge of him, thats for sure...

If he does start from day 1, then I know we have a good 'un...
;)
Marlon has very good cover skills, is physical, plays at an elite high school program with outstanding coaching, has world class speed and is the son of an Alabama legend so he has incredible genes. He is the real deal and I would expect him to compete for a starting position immediately.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

Marlon has very good cover skills, is physical, plays at an elite high school program with outstanding coaching, has world class speed and is the son of an Alabama legend so he has incredible genes. He is the real deal and I would expect him to compete for a starting position immediately.

Every freshman competes for a starting position, and its very possible that he'll be a day 1 starter...its just not as easy to come in as a freshman and start from day one...especially not as easy as it was a few years ago.

If he picks up the defense, then im sure he'll be the starter...thats kind of how saban works it, he puts the best players on the field, the ones who give us the best chance to win.

with what we lose after this season, DB will be one of the better areas for a true freshman to compete, for sure.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Every freshman competes for a starting position, and its very possible that he'll be a day 1 starter...its just not as easy to come in as a freshman and start from day one...especially not as easy as it was a few years ago.

If he picks up the defense, then im sure he'll be the starter...thats kind of how saban works it, he puts the best players on the field, the ones who give us the best chance to win.

with what we lose after this season, DB will be one of the better areas for a true freshman to compete, for sure.
I know every freshman competes for a starting position but there are a very few that legitimately can achieve it based on talent level and depth chart. I agree it is much, much harder in the Saban era and it may not happen but Marlon is as good a CB prospect we have have ever signed. It's possible we may actually see a true freshman starting this year if the "young guys" are freshmen.

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN

Before we decide if he will start on day one, maybe we need to see if we actually sign him. I think that several people have said that FSU is a strong contender if not the leader for his signature. I know that Saban does not miss on many, but I don't have a great feeling about this one. Sorry.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

Before we decide if he will start on day one, maybe we need to see if we actually sign him. I think that several people have said that FSU is a strong contender if not the leader for his signature. I know that Saban does not miss on many, but I don't have a great feeling about this one. Sorry.
No need to apologize for a feeling! I get them all the time! ;)

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

If we lose out on Humphrey, that will be a huge dissappointment. We definitely need to add some depth to CB, IMO, and with himbeing the son of a former player, we should be the front runner.

I believe we are, and hes' just playing up the recruiting process. of course, wanting to be a dual sport star in college may come into play as well, like it did with Jameis Winston.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

If we lose out on Humphrey, that will be a huge dissappointment. We definitely need to add some depth to CB, IMO, and with himbeing the son of a former player, we should be the front runner.

I believe we are, and hes' just playing up the recruiting process. of course, wanting to be a dual sport star in college may come into play as well, like it did with Jameis Winston.
Lot more to JW than wanting to play two sports. Other obstacles were there, including not playing this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.