*** CB Marlon Humphrey Signs With Alabama ***

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Re: Marlon Humphrey in the News in NC

I've heard Saban isn't a fan of two sport athletes, but I'd love to see him do both here.

The article mentioned him breaking a record set by RGIII. He enrolled early at Baylor and was on the track team when he should have been a high school senior and placed third at the NCAA meet in the 400m hurdles. I don't think he ran track any more after that, but as a QB, he couldn't really miss any spring drills.

I've heard Saban isn't a fan of two sport athletes, but I'd love to see him do both here.

The article mentioned him breaking a record set by RGIII. He enrolled early at Baylor and was on the track team when he should have been a high school senior and placed third at the NCAA meet in the 400m hurdles. I don't think he ran track any more after that, but as a QB, he couldn't really miss any spring drills.
I wonder if that would cause us to miss out.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I don't know who else in the SEC is after him, but Arkansas won the indoor track national championship this year, breaking a three year streak by Florida. His brother started at Arkansas, but had some off the field issues and wound up at UAB, who does not sponsor men's track. Florida was second this year. Texas A&M was fourth, Mississippi state was 12th, the Barn was 14th, LSU 15th, Georgia was 18th and we were 32nd.

The outdoor title was shared by Florida and Texas A&M this year. Florida won last year and the Aggies had won the previous three years. Arkansas was third outdoors, LSU was seventh, Ole Miss was eighth and we were eleventh.

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN

I talked to BH at a golf tournament dinner here last weekend and talking to him about Marlon I got the feeling CNS doesn't have a problem with him running track at Bama too. I also got the impression that BH would like to see his son in T-town.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

I can't imagine Marlon going somewhere specifically for track, if he did it would be a million dollar mistake. Saban has been putting secondary players into the NFL like a machine, and Marlon may have the most potential of anyone yet. I admire him for wanting to be a 2-sport athlete, but I would hope that he wouldn't give up a golden opportunity for a dead end sport like track.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett

I did track Alabama during Shula's tenure and nobody did track and football. Well scratch that Brynbrooke screen a couple minutes but not a full schedule. As far as I know no one has done both sports under Saban. Schools like LSU do much better allowing people to do both track and football.

Marlon Humphrey is probably the best sprinter/hurdler in Alabama history. He's better at track than football.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I don't expect him to go somewhere just for track. However, if Saban said he couldn't run track and Les Miles and Will Muschamp said he could, that might be a factor in his decision.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

With the time he is showing he is not far off the American record for high school 400 m hurdles. I would say that running track would figure into his decision making process for choosing a college. Think about the possibility of competing for national titles in football and being in the Olympics.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

He's named us the leader and he is a legacy and he's from AL. I would think track training when it does not interfere with his football schedule would be something Coach would agree to.

Coach Saban will not miss out on this type of talent due to track...Coach is very adaptable based on the situation, and Humphrey is one that he'd work with to get on campus, IMO.

This kid is going to be special.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Here's an article from Rivals on Marlon. Story

Marlon Humphrey does not say much about recruiting -- and that's part of the appeal.

The Hoover, Ala., five-star cornerback, who looked great at the Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge presented by Under Armour last week, has a famous father, Bobby, who played at Alabama, so he's been tied to the Crimson Tide since birth.

The predictions are all in that Humphrey will follow his father's footsteps to Tuscaloosa. He's good enough to command early playing time, and he speaks highly of Alabama. So why doesn't he just commit and get it over with?

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011

With the time he is showing he is not far off the American record for high school 400 m hurdles. I would say that running track would figure into his decision making process for choosing a college. Think about the possibility of competing for national titles in football and being in the Olympics.
I agree on that account. When somebody is that close to the American high school record for a track event, you start thinking with more advanced collegiate coaching and time you could qualify and represent the USA at the Olympic games. I can understand the appeal of that to anybody.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

I suspect Coach Saban would certainly adapt to Marlon running track----especially at that level. Also, Bama's track team is definitely on the rise....just finished 11th in the NCAA's. Sprint relay team finished second. The new coach in track is making a big difference. I am very hopeful that Marlon will come to Bama and be a star in both sports. Maybe National Championships in two sports....now wouldn't that be fun!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

At the state out door meet, he took first place in the 400, 110 hurdles and 300 hurdles. (The 400 hurdles is not run in Alabama). He set a state record in both hurdle events.

I know we recently remodeled the track in Tuscaloosa, so that's going to help. I think we use the CrossPlex in Birmingham for indoor meets, which he is familiar with as well.

While I do think we are in the lead for him and track isn't gong to be the deal breaker, I think it helps our track program is on the rise.

This thread likely will set a record for the most discussion we've ever had about our track program.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL

I've never heard that. In fact I believe the opposite is true.

I think Marlon will come to Bama but will wait until signing day.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.