*** CB Marlon Humphrey Signs With Alabama ***

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Re: CB Marlon Humphrey Updates (Page 15)

it would be a surprise to me if mr. humphrey chooses fla st over bama. of course being a legacy could create pressure for him to follow in his fathers footsteps. however, surely he knows he could probably start now at bama. and tony brown in the mix for the other. we have a couple of good ones in eddie jackson and harris available, i just wish they had their feet wet sooner and more often this past season. we were so bad at corner, it didnt make any difference who was in there.
This is why we're so good. We're never satisfied. In our minds, we were terrible in the secondary this year. Yet statistically we led the league in pass defense. Fewest yards allowed per game. I love it.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

This is why we're so good. We're never satisfied. In our minds, we were terrible in the secondary this year. Yet statistically we led the league in pass defense. Fewest yards allowed per game. I love it.
The reason we led the SEC in pass defense this year is because we played two teams(Tex A&M and LSU) who had legitimate passing games.
Had we played eight or nine pass oriented teams we may have finished last in the conference in pass defense.
Our corners were not "cover corners". Poor Cyrus started in our biggest game of the year against Auburn and he's still trying to learn the position. It showed greatly.
In short, we need corners.
sip

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

The reason we led the SEC in pass defense this year is because we played two teams(Tex A&M and LSU) who had legitimate passing games.
That's basically it. We played a lot of dumpster fire passing attacks this year -- Virginia Tech, Arkansas, Kentucky, MSU, Tennessee, etc. -- but when push came to shove against the quality passing attacks we were pretty badly torched. The only decent passing game we fared well against all season was Ole Miss, who finished 44th nationally in passing efficiency.

Texas A&M, LSU, and Oklahoma combined against us to go 76-106 for 1053 yards, 10 touchdowns, and 3 interceptions. That's a 71.6% completion percentage, 13.8 yards per completion, and a mind-numbing 9.9 yards per attempt, all with a better than 3-to-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

I'm all for favorable inferences being given to the good guys, but anyone who cannot see that we had (and still have) some very serious issues in pass defense is being more delusional than Roseanne thinking she can squeeze into a size two dress.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Had we played eight or nine pass oriented teams we may have finished last in the conference in pass defense.
Our corners were not "cover corners". Poor Cyrus started in our biggest game of the year against Auburn and he's still trying to learn the position. It showed greatly.
In short, we need corners.
sip
Yep, first time in the Saban era we did not have at least one NFL corner on the field (Jackson in time may develop into one).

Bamabirdie

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2013
Sunny South Florida

That's basically it. We played a lot of dumpster fire passing attacks this year -- Virginia Tech, Arkansas, Kentucky, MSU, Tennessee, etc. -- but when push came to shove against the quality passing attacks we were pretty badly torched. The only decent passing game we fared well against all season was Ole Miss, who finished 44th nationally in passing efficiency.

Texas A&M, LSU, and Oklahoma combined against us to go 76-106 for 1053 yards, 10 touchdowns, and 3 interceptions. That's a 71.6% completion percentage, 13.8 yards per completion, and a mind-numbing 9.9 yards per attempt, all with a better than 3-to-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

I'm all for favorable inferences being given to the good guys, but anyone who cannot see that we had (and still have) some very serious issues in pass defense is being more delusional than Roseanne thinking she can squeeze into a size two dress.
Such a good point. I am still trying to figure out how CNS and Kirby didn't deliver against aTm. That game was telling.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

And to think the team that ran the ball on us silly is playing for the national championship tonight. That Oklahoma team that beat Bama came on strong at the end of the season in passing as they were mostly adept at the running game early but against Bama they were lights out throwing the ball. The best QB play of the year for them.

I just think we had several areas including the secondary, first and foremost the lines of scrimmage, that kept us from a three-peat. Every year is a new year though and with this recruiting class that looks to be coming we will be in the hunt for a few more years. 3-peats or hard hard hard!!! ;)

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

In the last recruiting update I did, I noted Marlon had a better relationship with FSU track coaches. It would not surprise me in the slightest to see him at FSU.
I'd love to have him and yes, we need him, but I'm not going to pine if he wants to hang with Jaboo and the criminoles. We need kids that want to be here and if he doesn't then that is just fine with me.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Guess I'm stating the obvious here, but I think it's readily apparent just how badly we need this kid.

I'm loathe to make such a statement, but I'm afraid we need him a lot more than he needs us.
Love ya BET but no, we do not. The guys we have on campus now plus the ones coming in will do nicely. If we need to mine the JC ranks to shore up the position next year then so be it but no, any perceived "must have" recruit in this or any other class is unwarranted IMHO.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

He's a must have. Legacy player, top ranked defensive back with a head coach who specializes in coaching dB's, and he's in state. He must be got if for no other reason than to maintain state dominance in recruiting.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

He's a must have. Legacy player, top ranked defensive back with a head coach who specializes in coaching dB's, and he's in state. He must be got if for no other reason than to maintain state dominance in recruiting.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
I understand where you guys are coming from but we lost Winston who was a much bigger recruit (granted, not at a need position though). My point is that yes, he's a great player and it will hurt not to get him but in the end he is the one that will lose out by not coming to Tuscaloosa not vice versa. Sorry, but we will be just fine without him if he wants to go elsewhere.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC

He is a must have for sure. I saw on his twitter feed that Coach Pruitt called him before the game to tell him that F$U was ready tonight. I FEAR THAT HIS AND PRUITTS RELATIONSHIP IS GOING TO KILL US. I hope I am wrong, roll tide roll!

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

He is a must have for sure. I saw on his twitter feed that Coach Pruitt called him before the game to tell him that F$U was ready tonight. I FEAR THAT HIS AND PRUITTS RELATIONSHIP IS GOING TO KILL US. I hope I am wrong, roll tide roll!
Dont underestimate his relationship with Kirby

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

Guess I'm stating the obvious here, but I think it's readily apparent just how badly we need this kid.

I'm loathe to make such a statement, but I'm afraid we need him a lot more than he needs us.
Our need for DBS is pretty big I am afraid. Our need of speed in the front seven is a close number 2 though.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011

I have this feeling about Humphrey and Pruitt. Hope I am wrong.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006

I have this feeling about Humphrey and Pruitt. Hope I am wrong.

Well I like Marlon as a player and being a legacy and all, but Bama is bringing in the BEST CB prospect in this class
bar none! Marlon would be a nice, needed compliment to Tony Brown, but if he goes to hang out with Infamous Jameis, then so be it. He has a good relationship with Pruitt BECAUSE of Hoover and BAMA, but he has a good relationship with Kirby as well. If Kirby leaves, Marlon will be in Tallahassee probably, but say hello to Tony Brown people!

I wont mind having Eddie Jackson on the opposite side of Tony Brown...I think that would be a formidable pair of CBs for the next few years! But it would be nice to have Marlon join that pair.

Bama needs a better pash rush to help out the CBs and pass defense. If you noticed most of the year, opposing QBs had all day to throw (even on 3rd and longs that were given up so easily all year), especially the ones you mentioned...Johhny Football (makes his time), MettenBooger, and Slick Marshall even had time. You have to disrupt the QB.....and give your DBs a chance, not 7-10 seconds itting in the pocket waiting on someone to get there.

So Bama this year, had the worse case scenario, poor Pass rush (as in most years) and poor CB/DB play.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Love ya BET but no, we do not. The guys we have on campus now plus the ones coming in will do nicely. If we need to mine the JC ranks to shore up the position next year then so be it but no, any perceived "must have" recruit in this or any other class is unwarranted IMHO.
Like I said, I'm loathe to utter the statement, but basically I think it's right.

Now I don't necessarily buy into this "must have" notion -- and I didn't say that, just so we are clear -- but I do think it's a fair (and true) statement to say Alabama needs Humphrey more than Humphrey needs Alabama. On his end, if he goes to FSU, he essentially plays in the exact same scheme we have, under fine tutelage, with loads of talent around him, and in a program that has also turned out loads of top-flight NFL defensive backs. Basically, given his talent level, Humphrey will be as good as he wants to be, and that is true regardless of whether he ends up in Tuscaloosa or Tallahassee.

But as for us, we had a pretty dire situation at corner this season, and moving into next season we lose our only SEC-caliber option at cornerback. Now, I understand Belue was never really a top-flight player, but the point remains that he was a viable option, which is not something that could be said this season for any other CB on the roster. Getting Tony Brown was a massive coup, of course, but if we don't land another top-end guy -- I was hoping it would be Tabor, so we wouldn't have to worry with Humphrey, though obviously that didn't pan out -- we are going to be sitting around just hoping for different outcomes from players who haven't been able to really get it done in their first two or three years to suddenly improve and save the day (i.e. Geno, Cyrus, Sylve, and Washington).

Now, I'm sure one or two of the current crop at CB will be quality contributors in time, but that alone is not going to cut it. As I stated in some other threads the past few months, on a team in this day and age you need one or two really good corners on the team -- an '11 Kirkpatrick or '12 Milliner type, mixed with say a '11 Milliner -- and then you need at least a couple of more quality, SEC-starting level cornerbacks to round out your five and six DB packages (think '09 Arenas or Marquis Johnson, or '11 Menzie). As of right now, we just don't have anything near that, and unless several of the returning kids make some very big strides, we aren't going to be getting that in 2014 and beyond either.

Unless the pass rush finally takes off (and we've been waiting on that to happen just about since 2007), we are just going to have to revamp this ship on the recruiting trails, and for the time being that begins and ends with Humphrey. I'd love to say we just had someone else on the board to make his decision a moot point, but I'm afraid that's just not the case. We need Humphrey. Badly.

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Bama needs a better pash rush to help out the CBs and pass defense.
Clearly we do, and it would go a very long way, but again there's no real reason to expect it to happen right now.

In the first instance, we've never been much of a high-end pass rushing team under Saban, despite all of the expectations that would happen when he first came here. Our best year rushing the passer was 2011, and even then we were only 29th nationally in sacks (30 sacks on about 400 passing plays).

More to the point, though, is that we just have nothing outside. We've signed a lot of highly-touted edge rush prospects -- Xzavier Dickson, Adrian Hubbard, Ryan Anderson, etc. -- but they really produce nothing in terms of pressure. In fact, our best pass rush has actually came from inside on the DL with Allen and Robinson. You are just never going to be a highly productive pass rush when you effectively get squat from your edge players.

Again, a sudden take-off by the pass rush would do wonders to help CB play, but as of now I see no reason to expect that will happen. As such, we better hit a couple of home runs at cornerback, and if we don't...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Clearly we do, and it would go a very long way, but again there's no real reason to expect it to happen right now.

In the first instance, we've never been much of a high-end pass rushing team under Saban, despite all of the expectations that would happen when he first came here. Our best year rushing the passer was 2011, and even then we were only 29th nationally in sacks (30 sacks on about 400 passing plays).

More to the point, though, is that we just have nothing outside. We've signed a lot of highly-touted edge rush prospects -- Xzavier Dickson, Adrian Hubbard, Ryan Anderson, etc. -- but they really produce nothing in terms of pressure. In fact, our best pass rush has actually came from inside on the DL with Allen and Robinson. You are just never going to be a highly productive pass rush when you effectively get squat from your edge players.

Again, a sudden take-off by the pass rush would do wonders to help CB play, but as of now I see no reason to expect that will happen. As such, we better hit a couple of home runs at cornerback, and if we don't...
BET, I agree with everything you say, but I`ve watched football a long time. I can seldom remember a time when even "great" CBs, consistently left on an island, or even with safety help over the top, didn`t get burned if an even competent QB was allowed to stand back there with little or no pressure. Sooner or later a good WR will break open if given enough time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.