Can Bielema do at Arkansas what he did at Wisconsin?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Arkansas fell apart last year after Petrino got fired and Smith was a disaster. They went 10-2 in 2011 so he's not walking into a Tennessee type situation.

txag70

Aug 28, 2011
the 10-2 record a couple of years ago was done with players recruited for a totally different type of offense than anything BB has ever run. I believe that it is unlikely that he can do better than win 50% of his SEC games for at least a couple of years.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
the 10-2 record a couple of years ago was done with players recruited for a totally different type of offense than anything BB has ever run. I believe that it is unlikely that he can do better than win 50% of his SEC games for at least a couple of years.
Well said. Petrino was also an excellent playcaller, perhaps the best in the league.

chittlins

2nd Team
Sep 5, 2007
Everybody is waiting on Bill's analysis so since I have given this NO thought, here's what I see when I look over the data.

I don't think Arkansas is as "down" as folks might want to think. Keep in mind that two years ago an argument could be made they were the number three team in the entire country (their only losses to us and LSU, and they beat K-State far easier than Okie State did). So this is not Petrino taking over for Houston Nutt. He's the only program in the state, and he gets here while Mizzou is getting their sea legs. On the other hand, he's at a disadvantage because no longer can Arky hold out that "SEC" thing in Texas now that aTm is in the conference.
Arkansas has been experiencing a student boom. Those students aren't from Arkansas, they're from Texas. The Metroplex is sending more and more to Fayetteville. All thanks to the 10% rule that penalize good students from large schools. You meet GPA standards and Arkansas gives them in state tuition rates. Last year there were more incoming freshmen from Texas than from in state. More and more of these kids we recruit in Dallas knows someone up here and I think you are going to start seeing that pay off for Arkansas. TAMU helps Ark, our Texas recruiting suffered when we left the SWC because we played no team from Texas on a regular basis. Now we do and we are emphasizing home and homes with non SEC BSC schools down there with TCU and Tech.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I think that Bielema was very impressive at the SEC media days today. He was funny, articulate, etc.

I did like his comments to a media question about how low Arkansas is ranked in the SEC. He said the lower the better. I do think they will be much tougher this year than last year. They will not roll over and play dead on the field. I really think they did that some last year. Under his leadership they will claw and fight until the end instead of giving up in the 3rd quarter.

One thing he did say was that he felt they had the best Center in college football and he's sent two recently to the NFL from Wisconsin and he says that the center is possibly already better than them.

I don't know if he will be as effective as at Wisconsin, but he could be.

I did like his response to a question that was in response to what Gus M. said earlier today about the fast paced offenses and injuries resulting on defense. Gus M. said he thought it was a joke. Bret had a very good response. I'm sure you can see the response on ESPN. For one thing he said that he was not a comedian.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
If he uses the same power running game he did at Wisconsin, then I think he can be successful at Arkansas. By successful, I mean a winning record and occasionally compete for the West division title. Very unlikely that he will be consistently winning the SEC and consistently being the conference representative in BCS bowls. The competition in his new league is much better than the league he left.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I liked his comments at Media Days, he is a smart guy. If he breaks into the Dallas area for recruits that could change everything for Arky.

I think if he goes 6-6 this year that's a success for him and the program. I do think he has studied the SEC & will adjust to compete. A lot of coaches think they know best & have a tough time facing SEC competition, every game is a big game & I just think he gets it. I was very impressed, don't know how that translates to wins yet but I do think his hire was a win for him & Arky.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.