Pet Peeve Alert - do you wash your hands after going to the bathroom?

How often do you wash your hands after going to the bathroom?

• All the time

Votes: 31 93.9%
  • Only in public

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only when I go #2

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Only before I get ready to eat

• Never

• Total voters

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm a bit of a germophobe, so it's every time for me.

Based on empirical evidence, the fact that 100% of the people who have answered tells me a few folks are lying...
Remember that the poll results are public, so the non-washers are not going to post or vote and admit it...

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
would you just as likely get hit in the face by someone pushing the door inward as you were approaching the door from inside the bathroom? Most public restrooms don't open to walking paths -- so it just would be easier for me to push it open with my feet
If you're leaving the bathroom, in most cases you're paying attention to the door and at least know that the door could potentially be opening (by someone coming in, not you). If you're walking down the hall in a public building to a destination other than that bathroom, you're probably not expecting anything, like a door, to suddenly appear in your path. I suspect that's why interior doors almost always open inward. I think DzynKingRTR is an architect. Maybe he could shed some light on the subject.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If you're leaving the bathroom, in most cases you're paying attention to the door and at least know that the door could potentially be opening (by someone coming in, not you). If you're walking down the hall in a public building to a destination other than that bathroom, you're probably not expecting anything, like a door, to suddenly appear in your path. I suspect that's why interior doors almost always open inward. I think DzynKingRTR is an architect. Maybe he could shed some light on the subject.
Most building codes require them to open inward, IIRC. I don't remember seeing any that open outward, except in old buildings. Most chain stores (non fast food) now have done done away with them - you just walk around a baffling wall...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Apparently there are a lot of non-washers on TF.... :wink:
Either that or many people are just not interested. I caught the H1N1 flu bug a few years ago, when I thought I was substantially immune, because of my age. I was literally sick for weeks. That turned me into even more of a germaphobe. I actually keep sterilizing wipes, Lysol or similar, in our vehicles and I wipe both my hands and the wheel, brake, etc. If you use the regular hand wipes, they don't kill viruses, which the sterilizing wipes do. You just have to remember to wash your hands before you eat. Of course, there's not much you can do if the particular virus is aerosol transmitted. I spent most of New Year's day in the ER with severe gastroenteritis, which had started in the middle of the night. The CCN told me that it was most likely Norovirus, since we were having an epidemic at the time and it causes 90% of epidemic-type outbreaks. It can remain infectious on door knobs for long periods of times. One British researcher has proposed that all door knobs, handles etc., be replaced with copper, since the virus can't survive on any surface which is at least 60% copper. The virus is most infectious mostly from right before you show symptoms to three days afterwards, although the virus can survive in the intestines for up to two weeks. There was a "bubble" of it going north on the Appalachian Trail this year, where almost everyone got infected, because proper hand sanitation is so difficult during long distance hiking. I took three liters of NS to rehydrate...

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
99% of the time I wash my hands after I use the restroom. If I am about to get in the shower, and I have to do #1 or #2, I don't go to the sink and wash my hands. I make sure to scrub a little harder when I washing off. :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
99% of the time I wash my hands after I use the restroom. If I am about to get in the shower, and I have to do #1 or #2, I don't go to the sink and wash my hands. I make sure to scrub a little harder when I washing off. :)
Then I'd suggest cleaning the shower knobs with soap and water...

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
Hey, my junk is cleaner than anything you'll touch today, I can guarantee you that.
I'm not so sure about that. ;)

But I do wash ever single time. Unless the bathroom has no soap...then I will do the no hands thing. :biggrin2:

And I will go one further and say that it is gross when people use their cell phone while going to the bathroom.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.