Manziel Sent Home from Manning Camp

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm still not sure what happened but this report does say they were "adamant" that earlier reports were not accurate. I have personally decided (about 2 yrs ago) to never, ever listen to any media reports on any subject matter for the first 2-3 days because almost every time it is inaccurate or a complete lie. Everybody wants to be the first to break a story and to heck with the fact checking. This happens on little stories like this to the big stories like the Boston Marathon bombing. It gives journalism/blogism/whateverism a black eye.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
Archie is downplaying it because he has class. He doesn't want Manziel or the camp to look bad.
I don't see that Archie is downplaying it but that ESPN is. The article states that the camp officials were adamant that the internet reports that Archie sent him home because he was "partying" were inaccurate. However, the official statement from the camp does nothing to disprove the Internet reports; it actually lends credibilty to reports that he was hungover.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't see that Archie is downplaying it but that ESPN is. The article states that the camp officials were adamant that the internet reports that Archie sent him home because he was "partying" were inaccurate. However, the official statement from the camp does nothing to disprove the Internet reports; it actually lends credibilty to reports that he was hungover.
archie didn't send him home because he was partying, he sent him home because he was late ;)

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Interesting news item, but what matters is what Manziel does on Sep 14th. Unless he gets hurt, commits a crime, or flaunts team rules he will be on the field that day. And he'll be a force.

Reminds me a little of Namath's off seasons, back in the day. Or what we knew about them anyway.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I read through the thread @ TexAgs. Seems like there is a "He's embarrassing us" clan and a "This is just being blown out of proportion" camp. I don't know what exactly happened, of course, but I do know that there a LOT of situations with JFF were it seems his attitude and maturity levels are called into question. There's no denying that.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Yeah yeah.....he missed a meeting because he was ill and Archie agreed that it would be best if he left the camp and went home, NOT "go lay down a bit and get to feeling better for tomorrow", but "Go home".
I'm not buying the denials.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Re: Manzel Sent Home from Manning Camp

Given this camp was dedicated to 8-12 graders I am sure the Mannings wanted to allow Manziel to save face if possible but they in no way wanted to excuse his tardiness nor his "illness". I am certain they expect their camp volunteers like AJ et al to act like role models to these younger kids while they are there. Likewise, most of these football camps are about work and accountability and not so much about having a good time. These kids probably pay a good deal of money to attend this camp so I am sure there is a standard of conduct for everyone involved.

Good gracious I cant wait for SEC Media Days. The media is going to have him for lunch!

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

He's their problem, I'm glad for that. Let's hope he gets smarter before the season starts & is able to play us.

At this rate he may self destruct.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama

Given this camp was dedicated to 8-12 graders I am sure the Mannings wanted to allow Manziel to save face if possible but they in no way wanted to excuse his tardiness nor his "illness". I am certain they expect their camp volunteers like AJ et al to act like role models to these younger kids while they are there. Likewise, most of these football camps are about work and accountability and not so much about having a good time. These kids probably pay a good deal of money to attend this camp so I am sure there is a standard of conduct for everyone involved.

Good gracious I cant wait for SEC Media Days. The media is going to have him for lunch!
Paul Finebaum@finebaum25m
Never in doubt RT @khairopoulos: Texas A&M confirms Johnny Manziel will still attend SEC media days on Wednesday.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Interesting news item, but what matters is what Manziel does on Sep 14th. Unless he gets hurt, commits a crime, or flaunts team rules he will be on the field that day. And he'll be a force.

Reminds me a little of Namath's off seasons, back in the day. Or what we knew about them anyway.
Absolutely and you might add Kenny Stabler.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
We can't know what Namath and Stabler would have done in the exact same situation, but the Manning Academy is a big deal, and it doesn't speak highly of JM that he couldn't behave while he was there.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I went looked at Wiki about Thibodaux, LA. Here is what I came away with -

1) Population - 14,000+
2) Home to Nicholls State (enrollment 7,000)
3) They have cable TV

If you cant behave yourself in a town like that you have a problem my friend...

JM is about like Reese Bobby, he could probably get thrown out of an Applebee's if he went in one.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.