Question: Who's running the no-huddle this season?

If Bama does, I hope they premiere it on September 14 against A & M. The only problem with that is A & M's defense probably sees it at every practice, so it may not be something that would help us.

I think I would rather bulldoze their defense down field until they are too tired to stop the run.
Thing is, their defense will be so young it might not matter what we run or how we run it. Won't be close!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I think this board is ready for some real football :) I know I am.
Yep, me too. I come to this board about 15 times a day at is seems everyone wants to talk about A&M's QB. No, there is no need for us to resort the hurry up. We are going to score almost every time we get the ball. Why hurry that up? We just need to grind up the clock on offense and snuff the hurry up on D.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm old enough to remember the Bone well. I love it, but don't want to see AJ running the Bone.

Texas was stupid to run Colt McCoy into a defensive line full of 300+ pound hard hitters. He was their whole offense. They do have a good excuse now if that's a plus.

Bama may be in a similar situation this year. The wishbone asks your QB to take a lot of hits. That would be tough to endure for an entire season in the SEC. Even when I was in school, QB's rotated ... like Rutledge and Todd.

Great fun to watch the Wishbone though.
The odd thing is that they didn't run that much speed option, but we still had it dxed and defended perfectly, trailer covered and all. The split second of indecision on Colt's part when he saw that and decided he'd have to run it himself is when Dareus hit him from the right when he was looking left...

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
In the bone/option type Os the D calls the plays. If the D doesn't make a mistake it will shut them down most of the time.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I watched the '92 NC replay last night on UTube. It was amazing what we were able to do running the ball that night against such a good defense. It was even more amazing to see the disparity in the size of line players compared to now when that was even considered the modern era. We ran the ball beautifully that night. I really believe a creative running game is the best medicine for playing against a team built around the HUNH.

I will say one thing. There was a lot of knowledge lost about how to run the ball when Coach Moore died... Even as good as we are now, I still think Coach could have taught our present coaches about the creativity in running the ball. RTR! Coach Moore.

I watched the '92 NC replay last night on UTube. It was amazing what we were able to do running the ball that night against such a good defense. It was even more amazing to see the disparity in the size of line players compared to now when that was even considered the modern era. We ran the ball beautifully that night. I really believe a creative running game is the best medicine for playing against a team built around the HUNH.

I will say one thing. There was a lot of knowledge lost about how to run the ball when Coach Moore died... Even as good as we are now, I still think Coach could have taught our present coaches about the creativity in running the ball. RTR! Coach Moore.
Yeah I went back and watched that game last week. It was the Lassic and Sherman shake show!

Still though that defense held them to 6 points! Two field goals! Punt returns just haunt Bama for some reason though.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
In answer to the original question of who's running the HUNH spread, it's anybody who doesn't think they can match up man for man against more than half of their schedule. It gives the best chance of an upset in a single game....it doesn't give anywhere near the best chance of a championship season.

Plus, it's even more QB-centric than most offenses. We in the Deep South tend to overrate its overall effectiveness because we've seen Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, and Johnny Manziel up close. The fallacy there is that each was a Heisman winner, and each team rode that one horse to whatever success they had that year.

If you want to build your program around winning a championship every time one of your quarterbacks wins the Heisman, be my guest. Meanwhile, in the other 49 of 50 years, old-man football will kick your hindquarters the significant majority of the time.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I did a search to see if I could find which teams were running the spread, spread-option, pistol, Wishbone, Pro Set and etc. but could only find data from two years ago. It would be interesting to know. I wish my football magazines would list the type of O being run.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
I get your point, but that can be said for any offense. If the defense doesn't make mistakes, the offense will struggle.
Almost. The bone or spread picks the flow direction. Then the D can dictate the gap. Much much different than the I, split back, empty, or even the pistol.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Funny, but when I first read this thread heading, my first thought was "Well, it's always the guy on the sideline with the flash cards..." :D

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think every team in this conference will be running some form the spread offense uptempo, no-huddle within a year or two with a few exceptions. LSU, Georgia, Florida, and Alabama will stay in pro-style offense but use tempo variation on occasion. Everyone else is going to try to use some type of spread-to-pass (Air Raid Mumme/Leach school) or spread-to-run (Northwestern/Meyer/RichRod school) with tempo to down the giants of the conference.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.