Steve Shaw Speaks at Media Days

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here are some tweets from various Media Days folks:

Steve Shaw on targeting rule: This rule change is probably the most significant rule change during my tenure, ever.
'Targeting' foul (hitting with crown of helmet on defenseless player) in the SEC will now lead to ejection (mimics fighting rule).
SEC coordinator of officials Steve Shaw said quarterbacks after INT and punters after punt are now considered "defenseless" players. The Aaron Murray rule?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Scarbinsky just tweeted this:

Steve Shaw showing video of hits from last year that'll now be targeting. SC hit on UAB receiver. AU punt return block. No Quinton Dial.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
If QB's are off limits after an interception, then they need to be penalized if they try and make a tackle or go after the player that intercepted the ball.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
If QB's are off limits after an interception, then they need to be penalized if they try and make a tackle or go after the player that intercepted the ball.
Totally agree...this is football by the way and not a dance recital. There is a reason coaches tell you to keep your head up and on a swivel when you are on the field. There is a great difference in a hard hit and one where someone is targeted.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
Totally agree...this is football by the way and not a dance recital. There is a reason coaches tell you to keep your head up and on a swivel when you are on the field. There is a great difference in a hard hit and one where someone is targeted.
I thought Cecil Hurt's take on the rule was interesting.

@CecilHurt: If I am a strong safety who just listened to Steve Shaw, I might just go Jack Tatum on guys because I am going to get tossed anyway.
If I'm going to get tossed anyway I might as well do some damage.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Steve Shaw on targeting rule: This rule change is probably the most significant rule change during my tenure, ever.
'Targeting' foul (hitting with crown of helmet on defenseless player) in the SEC will now lead to ejection (mimics fighting rule).
SEC coordinator of officials Steve Shaw said quarterbacks after INT and punters after punt are now considered "defenseless" players. The Aaron Murray rule?

Murray didn't get hit with the crown of the helmet...he got busted with a facemask in the chest/shoulder area.

I hate this rule because it'll be enforced on hits that are clean just because some of our boys are bigger than most!

"Spearing" as it used to be called is one thing, which I understand is leading with the head like a missile, but if "targeting" is going to be called on head up, tackling with your facemask in somebody's body then football as we know it is about to get ruined!!!

Last edited:

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX

What's next QBs & punters wearing the black non-contact jersey during games?

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
That was my first thought. They should have to lay down on the ground like a little girl in the fetal position. The punter should also have to kick the ball and then run to the sidelines.

Also I would hardly say that Lane Bearden or PJ Fitzgerald are defenseless. They both made tackles as a punter. How about Andrew Luck when he blew up that safety for USC. This is just sad.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'd be OK with this, then if they got involved in the play in any physical way they would be flagged for illeagle participation. That includes running the ball, they have to either throw it or hand it off. They wear flags so we know when it is a sack. No more running QB's.
Surely you're kidding...right???

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I listened to Slive talk about the rule, and it made me sick to hear how happy he was with it. This is bad news.

If it was a rule that said you deliberately do something to try and injure a player, or what not, ok that makes some sense. But, basically saying touch a QB or punter and get kicked out? Really? Try to stop a receiver from making a game winning catch, and they get the first down automatically (plus an ejection?). I'm all for safety, but this is supposed to be football. It's a contact sport, if you can't withstand the contact, get off the field.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Great thing about being an old ****. I'll be dead before they completely ruin the game. I'd rather be dead than watch the game you young guys are going to have to watch.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I remember Jack Lambert of the Steel Curtain Steeler defenses being asked if he thought that they were protecting QB's too much right after he had retired. His reply, "yes, I think you ought to put dresses on them!"

Maybe that is what is coming to with all these crazy rules. We have to protect the kids as much as possible, but football is at its core a contact sport.

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Guys I think it's just another in a long line of anti Alabama rules. Who in the SEC plays the most physical brand of football, not dirty but physical?

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
This rule has the potential of getting out of control. This is going to be controversial probably at the mid point of the season. I fully expect to see at least one player from every team to miss a game. It could be epidemic if not careful. Shaw and Co. better have a plan to manage something that is going easily be the most subjective call made in the game.

What I dont understand why they didnt just sit a guy for a minimum number of plays - 20 plays. I dont see this being any different that an unsportsmanlike penalty or a flagrant foul call in basketball. The problem with this call is that in most cases it takes 2 players to create the situation where that call is likely to be made. Will you start seeing some offensive players positioning themselves to sustain a hit to the head?

I tell you one thing if they are going to call this penalty, the officials better start calling the mouthpiece and chinstrap violations on the offensive players. If your helmet comes off during play you only have to sit out one play. But a player may loosen his helmet to come off on contact even if it comes off if it might contribute to getting the defensive player ejected because it makes it look more vicious on review. Seems to me there is some basic in equity here.

Something tells me the conference hasnt really thought this out very well...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.