Defending the HUNH

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
The Hurry Up No Huddle offense (HUNH) seems to be the latest fad in college offenses, replacing Urban's vaunted spread as the darling of the moment. I imagine that the Tide will be seeing this a few times this season. It seems to me that the current Tide defensive strategy of complex formations and substitutions based on the offensive alignment does not match up well against the HUNH - there is simply not enough time to pull it off. So what is the best defense against the HUNH? The old Jackie Sherill defense (blitz every play and the heck with it?). Or some sort of a man defense? What can stop the HUNH in it's tracks?

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
This offense backfires quickly if you can't move the ball. Defense gets a 2 minute break between drives Most of our opponents will see their D on the field the whole game

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
This offense backfires quickly if you can't move the ball. Defense gets a 2 minute break between drives Most of our opponents will see their D on the field the whole game
All offenses backfire when you can't move the ball.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I would think well timed and used timeouts will nullify some of the advantages. Most teams don't put together more than three strong scoring drives each half. If your team seems to be on their heels or a defensive package is not stopping the offense, use a timeout strategically when the offense gets near the 30 yard line.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Disrupting the timing is the best way. When this offense gets in a rhythm, look out. It seems that Alabama always has about 8 safeties who are big enough to play LB. That is your key. I think Alabama might have to sit one of the 260 lb linebackers for a game against the hurry up. I watch a good bit of Baylor football. They key on the LBs. If one walks out to cover the slot, they run up the middle. If he stays in, it's a pass. I know there's more to it than that, but that is the basic idea. Like most passing offenses, stop it by hitting the QB.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
When Art Briles first installed his offense at Baylor, the Aggies would fake injuries to slow the pace.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I remember when absolutely nobody could defend the Wishbone. Teams like Bama and Oklahoma would put up 60 plus and an occasional 70 plus on any given Saturday. A few years later, nobody ran the wishbone because teams learned how to defend it and shut it down.
The no huddle hurry up isn't as easy to stop because it puts so much pressure on the defense but teams will adjust to slow it down eventually.
I don't think it will ever go away though because it isn't a gimmick, it's just football at a faster pace.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
They have no 'Plan B'. If the definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different and better results", then Chip Kelly is insane because that is exactly what he did against the barn.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
A good rush on the HUHN Quarterback turns them into a one dimensional Offense...
They are left with either a crap shoot run attempt, or a pass by a running Quarterback.
(TAMU's success against us last year was aided by us spotting them 3 Touchdowns in the First Quarter.)
That's my prediction on how we Defense the HUHN this year.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
One thing that disrupts the hunh is getting the ball set. Why do the ref's go into hurry up just because an offense runs the hunh. They are not required to sprint to the ball, throw a laser to the one who sets it and sprint back to position...but for some reason, they do?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The problem with the targeting rule, IMO, is that what causes the head to head contact most of the time is the player on offense lowering his head to brace for the hit. The defensive player is putting his shoulder in the offense players chest, the offense player ducks his head to brace for hit, and you have "helmet to helmet contact"

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
The problem with the targeting rule, IMO, is that what causes the head to head contact most of the time is the player on offense lowering his head to brace for the hit. The defensive player is putting his shoulder in the offense players chest, the offense player ducks his head to brace for hit, and you have "helmet to helmet contact"

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
When the best teams figure out how to stop it, and most teams using it don't put up the big offensive numbers they were expecting, then the majority of HUNH teams will drop it, especially as the coaches get fired. A few may stick with it, like Oregon, because they actually succeed most of the time with it, but they will be the exception

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Disrupting the timing is the best way. When this offense gets in a rhythm, look out. It seems that Alabama always has about 8 safeties who are big enough to play LB. That is your key. I think Alabama might have to sit one of the 260 lb linebackers for a game against the hurry up. I watch a good bit of Baylor football. They key on the LBs. If one walks out to cover the slot, they run up the middle. If he stays in, it's a pass. I know there's more to it than that, but that is the basic idea. Like most passing offenses, stop it by hitting the QB.
Exactly. You need to put 2 fists into the slot WRs chest and knock him off step. Most HUNH plays break down much quicker than a standard offensive formations plays. Create indecisiveness, follow with punishment.

BamaFanOnBeach

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 15, 2007
One thing that disrupts the hunh is getting the ball set. Why do the ref's go into hurry up just because an offense runs the hunh. They are not required to sprint to the ball, throw a laser to the one who sets it and sprint back to position...but for some reason, they do?
this is the only issue I have with HUNH - I think the refs should do the same thing no matter what the offense is running. My biggest issue with it is I have noticed many times that an illegal formation doesn't get noticed because the refs are more focused on getting the ball down and getting out of the way so the HUNH team can keep on going. There should be enough time allotted between plays for the refs to go through their normal routines and "hurrying up" shouldn't hinder the refs from doing their job.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
The refs control the game. I think a little talk with the officials before the game would do wonders to slow the tempo down a little without sacrificing the overall tempo of the hurry up offense.

That being said, I think having CJ Mosely on the field every down helps and the fact we have some hosses at the safety positions than can play run or pass. I also think we'll blitz and fake blitz a lot and still disguise our coverages to confuse the QB.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.