Defending the HUNH

TideRush

Scout Team
Jan 4, 2011
The problem for teams that run the NHHU offense, is that when it is ineffective, there isn't anything else to fall back on, as the players were recruited specifically for that type of offense and defense, conversly. Gus said today at media days that they intentionally recruited that way. Last year at the barn, when the NHHU offense broke down, it was a real trainwreck. The can't line up in the "I" and play smashmouth football. It's all about timing and finesse. A short pass is considered a run. So, if a player (especially the QB is off), it throws the whole thing off. Also, it's a rhythm. After all that hurry up, if a long play is incomplete, the receivers have to run all the way back and expect to do it again. Stop the run, which we do easily, and the endurance is challenged.

Many on this thread have said the main note, that their defense will be on the field a lot, and that is true. I say a great, pounding running game like we have, long drives controlling the clock are devastating as well. Not only to the defense, but to the rhythm of the offense, as well. I haven't seen a NHHU offensive team win a NC yet, or even beat an SEC team.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A good rush on the HUHN Quarterback turns them into a one dimensional Offense...
They are left with either a crap shoot run attempt, or a pass by a running Quarterback.
(TAMU's success against us last year was aided by us spotting them 3 Touchdowns in the First Quarter.)
That's my prediction on how we Defense the HUHN this year.
Correct. We just play this game the way we played the last three quarters (with a healthy QB this time), and it's a non issue...

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Attrition.

The more you bang om the QB he'll start hearing hoofbeats and he'll make more mistakes which will stop the offense and put their D right back on the field.

I think allbarn is likely to be a disaster this season unless they come up with not one. but two dependable QBs and they're not even sure thay have one they can depend on. With no dependabe QB you had better have a lot of depth on you D and they are not that deep.

I think towards the end of the season the boogs may be looking at a repeat of last season's trips to the woodshed against UGA and Bama.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
The best way I have noticed to defend HUNH is to do one of 2 things on defense - 1) create a negative yardage play on first down or 2) force incomplete passes. Either one of the 2 disrupts the timing of the offense and forces more huddles. A lot of HUNH is a series of script play calling that must be disrupted.

Here is the most complete description of exactly what is happening in a HUNH offense.

It is an interesting but puturbing read. HUNH offenses exploit every rule in the book that shows you just how much the offense is favored in the game. Sickening really. The writer openly suggests the tempo could be dangerous to defensive players who are not used to playing against it. In reading, I dont see one effective tool the defense can employ to stop when run properly because it is a rule book offense not player on player.

After reading this I cant see why we havent seen more vocal requests for rule changes by defensive minded teams or the NFL. Seriously you cant run this offense long term in the NFL with only a 54 man roster.

Like I have said before if you to see football turn into lacrosse there ought to be some rule changes to balance the inequity because this strategy is hijacking football.

Last edited:

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
I don't like to watch it as an offense, but I don't have a problem with teams running it or whatever. Defenses will eventually adjust to it. If not, then opposing defenses will just fake cramps ala LSU, and catch their breath that way, lol.

My only issue is with the refs and them hurring to place the ball (as gman4tide posted above)...

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
you have to create 3 and outs. technically, you cant stop them from hurrying unless you force incompletions and 4th downs. the bigger issue is stopping conversions through the use of spread offenses. i think the key to stopping that is containment and strong coverage downfield.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Bama is already set up to dampen the advantage the HUNH has.

Avg Time of Possession Rankings (national)
2012 - #15
2011 - #13
2010 - #35
2009 - #10
2008 - #17

Hard to run a lot of plays when your offense is not on the field.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The best way I have noticed to defend HUNH is to do one of 2 things on defense - 1) create a negative yardage play on first down or 2) force incomplete passes. Either one of the 2 disrupts the timing of the offense and forces more huddles. A lot of HUNH is a series of script play calling that must be disrupted.

Here is the most complete description of exactly what is happening in a HUNH offense.

It is an interesting but puturbing read. HUNH offenses exploit every rule in the book that shows you just how much the offense is favored in the game. Sickening really. The writer openly suggests the tempo could be dangerous to defensive players who are not used to playing against it. In reading, I dont see one effective tool the defense can employ to stop when run properly because it is a rule book offense not player on player.

After reading this I cant see why we havent seen more vocal requests for rule changes by defensive minded teams or the NFL. Seriously you cant run this offense long term in the NFL with only a 54 man roster.

Like I have said before if you to see football turn into lacrosse there ought to be some rule changes to balance the inequity because this strategy is hijacking football.
yeah, that was sort of annoying to read. reading through it, i kept thinking of arena league football

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Play makers not play planners is the key I think.
when your D Linemen, LB'ers all are Big & run like a deer plus the DB's are physical I'm not worried about anything CNS & team will face. We got off our game for one QTR all year long last year. Don't worry.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
It also shows how important the first three and out can be in this offense. If you don't let the other team get the first, first down, your team can control the game. It's important not to get into a shooting match with this type of offense, unless you've trained and schemed for it.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
One thing that disrupts the hunh is getting the ball set. Why do the ref's go into hurry up just because an offense runs the hunh. They are not required to sprint to the ball, throw a laser to the one who sets it and sprint back to position...but for some reason, they do?
Not only do the refs hurry up to benefit the team running that offense, but they often let that team get away with motion penalties on many plays. All the refs have to do is move at a normal pace and call the motion penalties to be fair, at least in my opinion it is fair. Other than that, it is up to the defense to be prepared for the snap and to figure out a way to stop the other team's faster pace. I have no problem with the hunh offense. I just don't like it when the refs seem to change the rules to benefit the teams who run it.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
Best I recall beating teams running the HUNH scheme has never been so much of a factor as an elite QB having a great day.

i.e.
Tebow QBing the greatest fourth quarter I've ever seen.
Aubarn's historic iron Bowl comeback.
Football boy catching his own butt-bounced pass then throwing for a touchdown.

Did I missrembember?
When was the last time Alabama got beat by a scheme?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
How many BCS Championships have been won by HUNH teams? 2010 is the anomaly, as we're all aware, as without scam the barn never sniffs the SECW championship...

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
After rewatching the game against A&M here are my thoughts.

1. Must press the slot receiver. They killed us with 4-6 yard slants to the slot that just weren't covered early in the game.
2. We have to play with 3 CB's on the field unless we have a safety that has better coverage skills than Vinny. (I'm looking at you Landon Collins). Once we put Fulton into the game they had a much harder time moving the ball.
3. We must be better at quickly adjusting to their 2nd down play which is pretty much a dive play run as fast as possible. Watching their game it seems scripted if they get any sort of positive play the next play is an automatic dive play run as quickly as possible.
4. As others have mentioned creating a negative play or an incompletion causes them to come out of their tempo and plan more. This means they lose their advantage and Kirby gets the chance to run what he wants.
5. We can't start out totally inept on the offensive end. They will do things different from last year that we won't be ready for and we need time after the first drive to adjust to what they are doing.

I have full confidence that we will do a better job defending it this time and the offense will be out for revenge for the way they played that day.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
A good rush on the HUHN Quarterback turns them into a one dimensional Offense...
They are left with either a crap shoot run attempt, or a pass by a running Quarterback.
(TAMU's success against us last year was aided by us spotting them 3 Touchdowns in the First Quarter.)
That's my prediction on how we Defense the HUHN this year.
Issue with rushing most HUNH offenses: the QB is mobile. If the pocket collapses, he takes off. That is what Manziel did early in the game last season.

Saban has alluded to the need for quicker DL. Look for guys like Dalvin Tomlinson and Korren Kervin to be the necessary players.

One thing that disrupts the hunh is getting the ball set. Why do the ref's go into hurry up just because an offense runs the hunh. They are not required to sprint to the ball, throw a laser to the one who sets it and sprint back to position...but for some reason, they do?
This was mentioned in another thread about HUNH. Very good point, too. Coaches won't complain about it, though. If they do, they'll regret doing it the moment the ref doesn't hurry up to get the ball set in a 2-minute drive.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
The main key I see for a defense against this kind of offense is for the defense to stay home and play their assignments. If the D is out of position, this is when the offense creates havoc. Check the Iron Bowl's past in which Gus was a part...when we stayed home, this offense is inept. Coaches and teams are starting to catch on to this mess called the HUNH offense. Plus, the more we see it and prepare for it, the better off we will be. Just do what you have been trained to do and the D is fine. Will this offense hit a big play? Probably but it is not indefensible. I agree the refs need to do their job also and call the motion penalties and especially holding because when players get tired (on either side), their technique gets sloppy. Personally, I am tired of watching it but it is here to stay probably because of the state of college football.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
How many BCS Championships have been won by HUNH teams? 2010 is the anomaly, as we're all aware, as without scam the barn never sniffs the SECW championship...
The Barn with scam is the only so far, but there have been some incredibly atheletic qbs to come out of college lately. If RGIII or Wilson were on the right team who knows? It all depends on the qb to me. As stated earlier this offense isn't a gimmick, with the right personell it works. I prefer our offense, but it won't surprise me if this offense wins another championship.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The main key I see for a defense against this kind of offense is for the defense to stay home and play their assignments. If the D is out of position, this is when the offense creates havoc.
I hate to post the play, but look at Vinnie. If he stays at home, Ryan Swope isn't all alone.

[video=youtube;DtxaHwgr6ZQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DtxaHwgr6ZQ[/video]

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Best I recall beating teams running the HUNH scheme has never been so much of a factor as an elite QB having a great day.

i.e.
Tebow QBing the greatest fourth quarter I've ever seen.
Aubarn's historic iron Bowl comeback.
Football boy catching his own butt-bounced pass then throwing for a touchdown.

Did I missrembember?
When was the last time Alabama got beat by a scheme?
Another reason most teams adopting the HUNH will drop it is that most teams won't be able to find the right kind of QB to run it effectively. After a few years of different offense, same results because the QB doesn't have the head for the scheme, it will be back to the drawing board(again).

T Rey

Scout Team
Aug 29, 2011
A couple of things to pay attention to this season. In the SEC the officials pace the game with a 12 second minimum from the end of one play til the ball is readied for the snap on the next play. Steve Shaw has stressed that his officials remain consistent with that rule reguardless of the style of offense being run. Second, you will likely see Alabama using the Nickle on the first series and Dime after the initial first down has been made. When we go to Dime, the D-line will have to put pressure on the QB but do so with a mush rush to contain him when facing a very athletic QB. The D-line will also need to be ready to get their hands up to alter the passing lanes on the shorter/more athletic QB's.

Early downs in a series, press the WR's and require them to release to the outside to limit quick strike slants and allow the D-line time to alter the QB's efforts. Later downs in a series when the D goes to Dime, use more tight zone but still leverage inside to out to require outside releases. The Zone puts the Star and Money in a better possition to support a run. Also expect Kirby / Saban to have quick call signs for the Star/Money to blitz from the edge with Ha-Ha rolling up to cover where they left. The edge blitz will require the D-ends to slow their rush with a focus on getting their hands up to limit throwing lanes for the slant to the blitz side since the slot guy would have a free release to the inside.

Since the HUNH normally does not get paced until after the initial first down is made, being extreamly effective in the Nickle on early downs is what will destroy the other teams defense. By mid 3rd qtr, the game would be out of reach and Nuss/Aj will be ready to take the air out of the game with ball control and the big backs.

This was just my guess of the best approach but I have never been paid to put together a game plan. I am currious how close my method will match what we see the 3rd week of the season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.