Question: Daniel Moore canvas painting question

BAMAFEVER50

1st Team
Aug 17, 2008
MOODY, AL
My best friend was married this weekend and he has gotten me an awesome groomsmen gift, canvas Daniel Moore of the BCS game against ND. My question is do you frame these since they are canvas?

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Yes, they are typically framed. That is a very valuable groomsmen's gift, congratulations. When I was a groomsman, I got cuff links. :rolleye2:

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I think framed art always looks better, but I admit I have a couple of large paintings that are unframed and look just fine. So, suit your taste. Keep in mind if you move, a frame will also help protect the piece.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I think framed art always looks better, but I admit I have a couple of large paintings that are unframed and look just fine. So, suit your taste. Keep in mind if you move, a frame will also help protect the piece.
Some paintings do look good without frames, but the frame will help protect the painting over time. Without a frame a painting tends to fray around the edges as it sits on the wall.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Some paintings do look good without frames, but the frame will help protect the painting over time. Without a frame a painting tends to fray around the edges as it sits on the wall.
In addition, it collects dust. I'd say frame it.

BAMAFEVER50

1st Team
Aug 17, 2008
MOODY, AL
got the call the canvas is ready today, so jacked. I still am trying to decide on the framing. Apparently canvas framing does not have a glass (sorry if this is a no brainer but I am clueless about artwork) and cost $400.

Do you guys have any suggestions on an alternative framing company, the art gallery seems too expensive for just a framed border and matte.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Maybe check out Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I know HL has 50% off every other week on custom framing. I have used them before, and they do a good job.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Maybe check out Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I know HL has 50% off every other week on custom framing. I have used them before, and they do a good job.
The museum glass from Hobby Lobby (others may have similar stuff) is amazing. It's expensive, but it protects the work extremely well, and cuts the glare almost completely so it can be viewed from any angle with multiple light sources in the room and still look good. The 50% off won't apply to this awesome glass, though, I'm afraid.

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
I own appx 18 Daniel Moore full size Prints and about 24 smaller Prints All of which are framed in glass. I have never owned a Daniel Moore Canvas. I'm not sure the difference (or if there is a difference) in the production of the two. Sounds like you have a Giclee canvas which is different from the prints I have. Sounds like your Canvas came in a Gallery Wrap frame with the canvas wrapped around the sides. I see that type Canvas displayed unframed quite often. The price you've quoted above indicates to me you have a Gallery Wrap Canvas which would explain why it cost so much. There is a lot of people in the picture frame business that will frame a common print for half what you have quoted. (I may be totally off base in this post as I am not an art officianado. But I sure do enjoy my prints.)

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Yes, they are typically framed. That is a very valuable groomsmen's gift, congratulations. When I was a groomsman, I got cuff links. :rolleye2:
I'd frame it, too. And, try to hang it somewhere where it doesn't get any direct sunlight. It takes years or even decades, but pictures and paintings can fade over time. Especially if exposed to sunlight. That's a great gift.

I've gotten a case of wine, a pretty great monogramed silver flask and a golf ball display case when I've been a groomsman.

BAMAFEVER50

1st Team
Aug 17, 2008
MOODY, AL
I own appx 18 Daniel Moore full size Prints and about 24 smaller Prints All of which are framed in glass. I have never owned a Daniel Moore Canvas. I'm not sure the difference (or if there is a difference) in the production of the two. Sounds like you have a Giclee canvas which is different from the prints I have. Sounds like your Canvas came in a Gallery Wrap frame with the canvas wrapped around the sides. I see that type Canvas displayed unframed quite often. The price you've quoted above indicates to me you have a Gallery Wrap Canvas which would explain why it cost so much. There is a lot of people in the picture frame business that will frame a common print for half what you have quoted. (I may be totally off base in this post as I am not an art officianado. But I sure do enjoy my prints.)

You are right about the Giclee canvas and its description. I too am familiar with regular full sized prints put am clueless about canvas. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.