USC Investigating Clowney's Ties w/ Jay-Z

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
clicky

Apparently Jay-Z's a sports agent now, so USC is justifiably paranoid of any contact.

Columbia, SC (WLTX) - The University of South Carolina's athletics department is looking into reports that star defensive end Jadeveon Clowney may have had contact with rap mogul Jay-Z.

Jay-Z, who's real name is Shawn Carter, has recently started a talent representative agency for athletes called Roc Nation Sports. Earlier this summer, he made a splash when he signed Kevin Durant of the NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder to a deal.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think many of our guys could be sucked into the Jay-Z stardom thing too. If Jay-Z's company is anything like most agents they will try to get around the rules and cheat. I'm sure Saban and our compliance office is already on it.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I guess I don't understand it. If he's not going about this in a legit manner, why would Jay Z do this? He's rolling in the dough, so what's the need to jump the gun, and in the process, potentially jeopardize the playing eligibility and future career earnings of these kids? I could almost understand the desperation of a small time slimeball, but Jay-freaking-Z?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I guess I don't understand it. If he's not going about this in a legit manner, why would Jay Z do this? He's rolling in the dough, so what's the need to jump the gun, and in the process, potentially jeopardize the playing eligibility and future career earnings of these kids? I could almost understand the desperation of a small time slimeball, but Jay-freaking-Z?
It's a natural mix. Almost the oldest axiom in the book ... entertainers want to be athletes, and athletes want to be entertainers.

It's not surprising that this is happening now with Jay-Z, and frankly it's happened before (remember Master P?). Jay-Z won't be the last entertainer to make a foray into the sports world, either.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
IIRC, meeting with an agent is completely within the NCAA rule, but you cannot sign a contract or receive any benefits from the agent. The example I recall is a player can meet an agent for dinner, as long as the player pays for his own transportation and meal.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
potentially jeopardize the playing eligibility and future career earnings of these kids?
Jeopardizing eligibility has no bearing on future earnings when talking about a player of Clowney's caliber. So low risk, high reward for unscrupulous agents.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
IIRC, meeting with an agent is completely within the NCAA rule, but you cannot sign a contract or receive any benefits from the agent. The example I recall is a player can meet an agent for dinner, as long as the player pays for his own transportation and meal.
They can and do. The firm I work for has several advisors that work hand in hand with the major NFL agents doing financial planning for NFL players. They have several former BAMA players as clients and met with at least one after the BCS game weighing the financial impact of staying VS going to the draft. They are above board and make sure they do not jeopardize the players eligibility. They have said the BAMA players for the most part are very well versed in the rules and have the fear of Saban in them.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
They can and do. The firm I work for has several advisors that work hand in hand with the major NFL agents doing financial planning for NFL players. They have several former BAMA players as clients and met with at least one after the BCS game weighing the financial impact of staying VS going to the draft. They are above board and make sure they do not jeopardize the players eligibility. They have said the BAMA players for the most part are very well versed in the rules and have the fear of Saban in them.
Does your firm need a good-looking, fresh-out-of-college, looking-for-money employee? If so, PM me ASAP.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Its called the Andre Smith rule I think.:) If therenisna story here, it will crush the old ball coach.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Does your firm need a good-looking, fresh-out-of-college, looking-for-money employee? If so, PM me ASAP.
What about a middle aged, under qualified, lazy, couch potato with anger management issues and emotional baggage? Cause I could totally fill that spot for you. Unless Les Miles called dibs, that is.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If Clowney loses his eligibility, will Jay-Z lose his client, the #1 pick in the draft, or will Clowney be happy that he won't get hurt this season and will be ready to play for money next year? Is there a possible lawsuit from USCe if this is true?

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
And as long as they don't write on any napkins

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Just FYI, CAA is doing all the real leg work in terms of Roc Nation's sports agency. Jay-Z is just the face. While he may technically be an agent, he's not THE agent. So this is nothing like Master P's situation, as he tried to do it himself. Jay-Z is simply using his name/influence to lure the big names, much like Michael Jordan did with Brand Jordan (Derek Jeter, Carmelo Anthony, Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, etc.)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.