USC Investigating Clowney's Ties w/ Jay-Z

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Just FYI, CAA is doing all the real leg work in terms of Roc Nation's sports agency. Jay-Z is just the face. While he may technically be an agent, he's not THE agent. So this is nothing like Master P's situation, as he tried to do it himself. Jay-Z is simply using his name/influence to lure the big names, much like Michael Jordan did with Brand Jordan (Derek Jeter, Carmelo Anthony, Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, etc.)
Do you think Z can challenge the Jumpman?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I understand that. I never make myself clear my fault. Do you think Jay Z can achieve more notoriety than Jordan. I remember at one point Jordan was second only to Mickey Mouse when it came to world wide fame.
I doubt very seriously that any athlete or entertainer ever reaches Jordan's level on pop culture. The only one that had any chance at doing it was Tiger Woods. But social media & a 24 hour news cycle have ruined that for him. All Tiger's guilty of is being a flawed man. And Michael, by comparison, would make Tiger look like the 40 year old virgin. Likewise for Arnold Palmer. But during their time, all they had to worry about was performing in their respective arenas and the sports journalists would make them immortal. These days, instead of looking for what's good about the athlete, when an athlete is on the verge of becoming an all-time great, journalists and fans alike first want to know what he/she has done wrong (Bonds, A-Rod, Shawn Merriman, Lance Armstrong, Tiger, and most recently Ryan Braun). Heck, you've heard rumblings from other fan bases making ridiculous accusations that our guys are using steroids. So that's where we are now.

And while Michael faced more scrutiny than any athlete of his generation, he still had somewhat of a buffer between him &, the general public that today's athlete doesn't necessarily have. Social media, smart phones, paparazzi, 8 or 9 ESPN channels, NBATV all needing something to talk about. Mike didn't deal with that. And his crossover appeal was massive. He made basketball cool to people who weren't basketball fans. And more than anything, Mike was at the right place at the right time. He was perfect to take the torch from Magic & Bird and take the NBA global. Whatever Nike had compensated him with will never be enough. He almost single handedly made Nike THE shoe to wear. It was just a perfect marriage of what the sports world needed at that time and he took it and ran with it.

Jay-Z, by comparison, is coming from a different angle. He has fans of all hues all over the world. But there is a large population that will never accept rap/hip-hop. Granted, what he's been able to parlay his rap career into is nothing short of phenomenal. But still, neither he nor will anyone ever come close Michael in terms of brand appeal

Last edited:

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
In other Clowney news...the man in charge of ACC officiating said today that Clowney wold be ejected for the hit on the Michigan RB if it happened this year.

Sigh,.. we're in for a long and controversial season in regard to this new hit rule.

In other Clowney news...the man in charge of ACC officiating said today that Clowney wold be ejected for the hit on the Michigan RB if it happened this year.

Sigh,.. we're in for a long and controversial season in regard to this new hit rule.
Yeah, they are going to change the game big time. Clowney'***** was perfect. That's how you teach to hit. . I hope they don't mess up this season. The rule is for the obvious hit.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That is I what I thought but it seems like Jay Z can touch anything and turn it gold.
Yah, but he's not a pop-musician or an all-everything athlete. No doubt he's incredibly smart, talented, and savvy, but there's almost nothing he can do to be someone the average 60-year-old knows, for example.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm a HUGE proponent of player safety, but that's ridiculous.

The NCAA best be careful, if they continue down this path they WILL lose a large segment of the following. The cash cow isn't immortal.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
If the Clowney hit would cause an ejection, we need to just give up play two hand touch. That, my friends, was a form tackle defined. The guy who should be ejected is the UM fullback that whiffed the block.

rammerjammer69

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2009
I doubt very seriously that any athlete or entertainer ever reaches Jordan's level on pop culture. The only one that had any chance at doing it was Tiger Woods. But social media & a 24 hour news cycle have ruined that for him. All Tiger's guilty of is being a flawed man. And Michael, by comparison, would make Tiger look like the 40 year old virgin. Likewise for Arnold Palmer. But during their time, all they had to worry about was performing in their respective arenas and the sports journalists would make them immortal. These days, instead of looking for what's good about the athlete, when an athlete is on the verge of becoming an all-time great, journalists and fans alike first want to know what he/she has done wrong (Bonds, A-Rod, Shawn Merriman, Lance Armstrong, Tiger, and most recently Ryan Braun). Heck, you've heard rumblings from other fan bases making ridiculous accusations that our guys are using steroids. So that's where we are now.
If anything, Lance was coddled by the media for well over a decade. There were several witnesses, fellow riders and a few journalists who always said the same thing - Lance was doping. Many more in the media certainly knew it was true, yet didn't dare report it because Lance sold a lot of ad space and helped their careers. Lance publicly defamed several riders, employees and former friends who spoke against him or wouldn't lie for him. He filed suit in order to commit perjury, defaming anyone who opposed him. I wish the media had done their job with respect to Lance. It might have saved the careers of many innocent people, as well as millions of dollars in judgments/legal fees spent defending his false and perjurious chargers.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If anything, Lance was coddled by the media for well over a decade. There were several witnesses, fellow riders and a few journalists who always said the same thing - Lance was doping.
Every great rider in that era was doping. All of them. Lance just did it better. His mistake was in the attitude that he took with those running the sport. If he had sucked up to them as they wished, he would still be viewed as the greatest cyclist in history. His attitude made him a target, not his doping.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Just FYI, CAA is doing all the real leg work in terms of Roc Nation's sports agency. Jay-Z is just the face. While he may technically be an agent, he's not THE agent. So this is nothing like Master P's situation, as he tried to do it himself. Jay-Z is simply using his name/influence to lure the big names, much like Michael Jordan did with Brand Jordan (Derek Jeter, Carmelo Anthony, Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, etc.)
Jay-Z's first signee Robinson Cano got the ball rolling and word is he is after LeBron now.

rammerjammer69

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2009
Every great rider in that era was doping. All of them. Lance just did it better. His mistake was in the attitude that he took with those running the sport. If he had sucked up to them as they wished, he would still be viewed as the greatest cyclist in history. His attitude made him a target, not his doping.
I'd agree every one of the top riders the years Lance won was doping. In order to be at the top you had to there is no question. However, what Lance did is a great deal more than having an attitude. He literally destroyed the careers of anyone who crossed him. He earned around $100 million by doing so - also by using his cancer foundation as a marketing tool, eliciting sympathy and showing false outrage at anyone questioning him. I don't think anyone would dispute he was the best rider of his era and possibly of all time, but my point is that had the media wanted to follow up and write the stories that were out there, maybe several of his innocent victims (who did nothing other than tell the truth) would not have suffered to the extent they did.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

The official is giving a warning signal...."Don't hit our ACC players too hard when you play North Carolina and Clemson." At SEC Media days when Clowney said he could see fear in the eyes of some opposing quarterbacks...well, apparently there is fear in the entire ACC.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
These days, instead of looking for what's good about the athlete, when an athlete is on the verge of becoming an all-time great, journalists and fans alike first want to know what he/she has done wrong (Bonds, A-Rod, Shawn Merriman, Lance Armstrong, Tiger, and most recently Ryan Braun).
With all of these athletes except for Tiger it's pretty much been proven they took PEDs. That's a pretty big issue to ignore if you want to talk about how "great" they are. It's kind of like talking about how "great" a day trader is but ignoring the fact he was inside trading.

I have an issue with digging into an athlete's personal life but anything they bring to the playing field is fair game.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.