Link: Bo Pelini: Some SEC Teams Not Named Alabama Wish They Were Nebraska

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
While that may be true for an economy as a whole, I'm not so sure it's the case in big-time college athletics, now or in the past.

The demographics of the state of Alabama go a long way toward explaining why its economy has lagged. But they don't come anywhere near explaining why the football program of the flagship state university is one of the top 5 in history. And, much as we like to denigrate it, the football program of the land-grant school is top 20.

Also, those same demographics are becoming irrelevant in Tuscaloosa due to nationwide recruiting. Whereas Auburn has historically recruited SE Alabama, Georgia, and northwest Florida, Alabama is now recruiting coast to coast and Canada to Mexico.

I think Nebraska's post-Osborne struggles are more a function of abandoning their distinctive competence than demographics. They were to Midwestern football what we were and still are to the South: Built on strong line play (a hair more OL tradition for them, a hair more DL tradition for us), defense, running, and just enough passing to keep the other team honest. In their heyday, as in all our Golden Ages, everybody in the stadium knew what was coming on 3rd and 3. But knowing what's coming is an entirely different exercise from stopping it.

Nebraska fired Solich mainly because he wasn't Osborne. Think they'd like to have that call back today? I do. They hired Bill Callahan, who tried to install a style of offense wholly unsuited to the players he had. Compounding that, he de-emphasized defense to the point that good players didn't develop because of a lack of coaching. Essentially, nobody on the staff cared. Then, after four years of that, they tried to go back to their roots with Pellini.

The problem there is twofold: First, the players Callahan had recruited were themselves wholly unsuited by physical traits, psychology, and S&C training to Pellini's smashmouth style. Second, even though his philosophy is much better suited to Nebraska's tradition, Pellini himself is a loose cannon, prone to embarrassing himself and the institution. I have yet to see that he's not in over his head as the public face of a major college program based on a tradition of class, respect for its own tradition, its opponents, and itself. Tom Osborne has to have been ashamed of some of Pellini's conduct, and Bob Devany may have turned over a couple of times himself.

So the way I see it, Nebraska's problems are largely self-inflicted, not thrust upon them by outside demographic forces over which they have no control.
That is a very good post and I agree. Much like Alabama, The Cornhuskers can and likely will return to prominence with the right leadership. They have great tradition and facilities plus one of the best fan bases in college football. Another thing in their favor is the new Big Ten division alignment where Wisconsin is pretty much all that stands in the way of a conference championship birth each year.

chittlins

2nd Team
Sep 5, 2007
Bottom line on the success of a football program is the coach, period, end of story. What if Bama got Rich Rod instead of Saban? It's the overall #1 factor. If resources and talent pool had all that much to do with it, Texas would have 30 NCs.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Alabama is sitting smack dab in the middle of the most fertile recruiting territory in the country. Yes, we're recruiting nationwide now... but this turnaround began because of prospects from Mobile, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas and Florida. Even today, with us doing more national recruiting than ever before, we still get most from this region of the country.

Nebraska does not have that luxury, and they left the conference that had them playing routinely in the one recruiting hotbed they were semi near to: Texas. Nebraska is very different from Alabama in that they will have to do the bulk of their recruiting outside of their region if they are to get enough top prospects to compete for championships again.

Yes, I agree they can do it, as I said before. But it will take a very good head coach with a great recruiting staff to do it. They don't have that now, and it's no guarantee they get it anytime soon. I simply don't believe it is a given for Nebraska to return to their glory days because of this; I don't think they compare favorably to Alabama in that regard at all.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Bama has better population diversity and total population (4.8 million to 1.8 million) and, as stated, we are much better suited to rich recruiting areas.

Alabama - Largest Cities

Name Population Latitude/Longitude
1 Birmingham wikipedia article 212,237 33.521 / -86.802
2 Montgomery wikipedia article 205,764 32.367 / -86.3
3 Mobile wikipedia article 195,111 30.694 / -88.043
4 Huntsville wikipedia article 180,105 34.73 / -86.586
5 Tuscaloosa wikipedia article 90,468 33.21 / -87.569
6 Hoover wikipedia article 81,619 33.405 / -86.811
7 Dothan wikipedia article 65,496 31.223 / -85.39
8 Decatur wikipedia article 55,683 34.606 / -86.983
9 Auburn wikipedia article 53,380 32.61 / -85.481
10 Madison wikipedia article 42,938 34.699 / -86.748

Nebraska - Largest Cities

Name Population Latitude/Longitude
1 Omaha wikipedia article 408,958 41.259 / -95.938
2 Lincoln wikipedia article 258,379 40.8 / -96.667
3 Bellevue wikipedia article 50,137 41.137 / -95.891
4 Grand Island wikipedia article 48,520 40.925 / -98.342
5 Kearney wikipedia article 30,787 40.699 / -99.081
6 Fremont wikipedia article 26,397 41.433 / -96.498
7 Hastings wikipedia article 24,907 40.586 / -98.388
8 North Platte wikipedia article 24,733 41.124 / -100.765
9 Norfolk wikipedia article 24,210 42.028 / -97.417
10 Columbus wikipedia article 22,111 41.43 / -97.368

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Good post Bama Moon thanks for the look ups. Also, as most know the population of Alabama and its surrounding states have higher black populations in contrast to Nebraska and its adjacent states which translates into a larger and better selection of top level HS talent. Historically, Nebraska recruited in state for its linemen, but usually recruited its skilled players from Texas, Louisiana, Florida and California. Regardless of demographics, Pelini simply is not a major program HC and until NU's PTB figure this out they will not return to national prominence.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
While that may be true for an economy as a whole, I'm not so sure it's the case in big-time college athletics, now or in the past.

The demographics of the state of Alabama go a long way toward explaining why its economy has lagged. But they don't come anywhere near explaining why the football program of the flagship state university is one of the top 5 in history. And, much as we like to denigrate it, the football program of the land-grant school is top 20.

Also, those same demographics are becoming irrelevant in Tuscaloosa due to nationwide recruiting. Whereas Auburn has historically recruited SE Alabama, Georgia, and northwest Florida, Alabama is now recruiting coast to coast and Canada to Mexico.

I think Nebraska's post-Osborne struggles are more a function of abandoning their distinctive competence than demographics. They were to Midwestern football what we were and still are to the South: Built on strong line play (a hair more OL tradition for them, a hair more DL tradition for us), defense, running, and just enough passing to keep the other team honest. In their heyday, as in all our Golden Ages, everybody in the stadium knew what was coming on 3rd and 3. But knowing what's coming is an entirely different exercise from stopping it.

Nebraska fired Solich mainly because he wasn't Osborne. Think they'd like to have that call back today? I do. They hired Bill Callahan, who tried to install a style of offense wholly unsuited to the players he had. Compounding that, he de-emphasized defense to the point that good players didn't develop because of a lack of coaching. Essentially, nobody on the staff cared. Then, after four years of that, they tried to go back to their roots with Pellini.

The problem there is twofold: First, the players Callahan had recruited were themselves wholly unsuited by physical traits, psychology, and S&C training to Pellini's smashmouth style. Second, even though his philosophy is much better suited to Nebraska's tradition, Pellini himself is a loose cannon, prone to embarrassing himself and the institution. I have yet to see that he's not in over his head as the public face of a major college program based on a tradition of class, respect for its own tradition, its opponents, and itself. Tom Osborne has to have been ashamed of some of Pellini's conduct, and Bob Devany may have turned over a couple of times himself.

So the way I see it, Nebraska's problems are largely self-inflicted, not thrust upon them by outside demographic forces over which they have no control.
This is spot on in my view. I do think if they had a "do over" they would not have fired Solich. In my view Nebraska can be brought back, but Bo Pelini can't do it.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Respectfully, I disagree. Nebraska's population is stagnant. Their economy is stagnant. Alabama's is neither, and we're also surrounded by states with growing populations. Nebraska's current problems - much like Tennessee's - are indeed self-inflicted, but the program's return to consistent glory will be hampered by much larger issues.

I am not a betting man, but I would be very, very surprised if Nebraska or any Big 10 team ever returned to consistent supremacy absent a severe revitalization of the Midwestern economy.

BamaBuff24

1st Team
May 2, 2000
FWB, FL USA
Let the losers keep talking about the bottom of our league. Bo says the rest of the SEC is not Alabama, LSU or Georgia. Well after the last two losses vs the SEC by Nebraska, Michigan's day in Dallas last year and OState's 1-9 record vs SEC teams, I guess they are not like Alabama, LSU or Georgia either.

This is what is all about.
BCS Champions
W-L
SEC 9 1** Alabama (3), Florida (2), LSU (2), Tennessee, Auburn LSU**

Big 12 2 5 Oklahoma, Texas Nebraska*, Oklahoma (3), Texas

ACC 1 2 Florida State Florida State (2)

Big East 1 2 Miami (FL)* Miami (FL)*, Virginia Tech*

Big Ten 1 2 Ohio State Ohio State (2)

Pac-12 1† 2 USC† Oregon, USC

Independent 0 1 None Notre Dame

" * Miami and Virginia Tech moved to the ACC in 2004. Nebraska moved to the Big Ten in 2011. No current member of the Big East has played in a BCS championship game.

** The SEC's only loss in the BCS Championship Game took place in 2012 when SEC member LSU was beaten by fellow SEC member Alabama. No SEC team has lost in the BCS Championship Game to a team from outside the SEC.

† USC vacated their win in the 2005 Orange Bowl."

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Respectfully, I disagree. Nebraska's population is stagnant. Their economy is stagnant. Alabama's is neither, and we're also surrounded by states with growing populations. Nebraska's current problems - much like Tennessee's - are indeed self-inflicted, but the program's return to consistent glory will be hampered by much larger issues.

I am not a betting man, but I would be very, very surprised if Nebraska or any Big 10 team ever returned to consistent supremacy absent a severe revitalization of the Midwestern economy.
Respectful debate is the singular strength of this forum.

If the athletic skills of 100 or so scholarship players were reflective of the economic potential of the region around the school, it would be a valid leap. It would also be valid if the economy of a state tracked the success of its football teams. But those correlations don't hold. Thank goodness.

My point is that changes in neither Nebraska's demographics nor Alabama's have conveyed a net advantage over the past 40 years.

In other words, while the differences have evolved over time, we are today about the same amount of different that we were in 1965.

So the differences in performance must be a function of factors other than changes in demographics.

We are on the upswing because of Nick Saban and his overall approach to the game. Nebraska is on the downswing because they abandoned their strength. Neither change is the result of evolving demographics.

Last edited:

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I watched most of the BIG 10 CCG last night and NU looked so unprepared. They never adjusted all night to what Whisky was doing. And Martinez threw the ball up for grabs again and again. Did you know that Wisconsin ran for approximately 550 yards against them that night? Wow!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.