Question: Committable vs . Non-Committable Offers

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
What's the practical difference between a committable scholarship offer vs. a non-committable one?

As in, is a non-committable offer really an offer at all? If so, of what? If the staff would not accept a commitment, even if the recruit is willing to do so on the spot, what exactly is being offered?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The ability to commit at a later date should certain criteria be met.

Take, for example, Roc and myself. He has the ability to commit (presumably) if we miss out on LF. I, on the other hand, have a non-committable offer, meaning that even if hell froze over I still wouldn't get to commit to Alabama.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I have to think this non-committable offer business is a way to "get in" on a kid early and make an impression at an early date, but without any real commitment. Kind of like the coaching staff hedging ther bets. How many times have we heard a kid say that they committed to Team X because "they recruited me first." Extending a non-committable offer may be what the coaches are using to demonstrate to a prospect that they are interested... just can't accept a commitment right now. I think in all actuality a non-committable offer means absolutely nothing... except perhaps in the mind of a prospect. I think it's just a new tool the coaches are using as a response to more and more scholarship limitations.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not an expert on recruiting but from reading this board my understanding is if a guy is rated as the staffs top choice and there are no concerns in other areas (grades, behavior etc) then he can commit any time.

Otherwise the staff apparently often extends offers that are dependent on others who are above them on the staffs recruiting board.

Alexander Fan's Roc Thomas illustration is a good one I think.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
My definition is everybody who we send a verbal offer to us has a non-commitable offer and then out of that group there are certain ones we offer in writing that are committable meaning we take them anytime they say they want to commit. The others are committable if they are high enough on our board for that position and we take him if we lose out on someone that was higher on our board. Roc Thomas is an example of this. Some of these kids try to commit but are told they will have to wait. Sometimes they wait and sometimes they don't.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have to think this non-committable offer business is a way to "get in" on a kid early and make an impression at an early date, but without any real commitment. Kind of like the coaching staff hedging ther bets. How many times have we heard a kid say that they committed to Team X because "they recruited me first." Extending a non-committable offer may be what the coaches are using to demonstrate to a prospect that they are interested... just can't accept a commitment right now. I think in all actuality a non-committable offer means absolutely nothing... except perhaps in the mind of a prospect. I think it's just a new tool the coaches are using as a response to more and more scholarship limitations.
I think this is basically correct. I think there are two factors at work - areas the prospect still needs work on and who's above him on the board. OTOH, there are no-brainer instant acceptables. I'm pretty sure that Fournette has a commitable offer which would be accepted instantly. Roc doesn't...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
The basic idea is that is an overture of interest, but reading more into it than that is just to over-analyze the matter.

You recruit kids as hard as you can, generally speaking, and you sort out things later (i.e. overall numbers, contingencies, etc.). Boards tend to be very, very fluid, and even for a top program like ours, realistically you are going to miss on a lot of kids on your board, and you're going to end up taking some kids lower down the line. Also, injuries, camp/game performances, off-field issues, and academic concerns are obviously going to invariably cause some substantial changes to your general pecking order. And, of course, you also want to maintain strong ties to certain schools and regions, even if you do not intend to sign a particular kid.

So, basically, you express general interest to the prospect, discuss the possibility of playing for the school and how he would be utilized, but you don't necessarily push for a commitment in any immediate sense. You just let them know that you are aware of them and that you are seriously interested in them. And, of course, if the cards fall just right, you are hopefully in position to pounce and not fighting to make up ground against schools who have made the kid a priority for several months.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.