Question: New Ejection Rule

BamaNBossier

Scout Team
Dec 17, 2001
Bossier
After watching the last 3 games on ESPN yesterday, how many players would have been ejected from those games if rule was in place last year. This is truly going to determine a win or loss this coming year. If we thought the celebration rule was bad, this will be so much worse in the refs ability to get the call correct. and the result, someone will lose a player..

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I think it'll get someone early and be so ridiculous that they may lay off it later in the year. When they started with the personal foul nonsense a few years ago, Georgia got absolutely hosed against Okie St. Then it slowly but surely got relaxed, although I still think every big hit personal foul call is garbage

EddieMoney4Life

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 16, 2008
Hate to say it, but if they go to replay during a game, Quinton Dial'***** on Murray in the SECG would have kept him in the locker room for the 2nd half.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
HaHa had a hit on Swope in that TAMU game that would probably get him banned from football under these new rules

I noticed that while rewatching the game on Sunday. Under the new rules, that becomes a free play for Swope. I'm all for player safety, and I'm probably more willing to have a few rules on this point than you are, but you can't create a rule basically allows a large receiver a free cushion to go over the middle unscathed. That, and Ryan Swope is a tool.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
HaHa'***** was perfectly timed and just downright good football. I still can't understand how that was a penalty but their hit on Lacy wasn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
HaHa'***** was perfectly timed and just downright good football. I still can't understand how that was a penalty but their hit on Lacy wasn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

the hit on Lacy was just a missed call...it was definitly a helmet to helmet hit. I understand protecting players, but when the offensive player is actually lowering their head, they'll be the ones to get the penalty, even if they had no intent and were in position for a legal hit. they may haver had no intent, but the offensive player can actually initiate the helmet to helmet hit...thats what scares me the most about the new rule. I see this becoming a big issue due to offensive players causing the contact.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I noticed that while rewatching the game on Sunday. Under the new rules, that becomes a free play for Swope. I'm all for player safety, and I'm probably more willing to have a few rules on this point than you are, but you can't create a rule basically allows a large receiver a free cushion to go over the middle unscathed. That, and Ryan Swope is a tool.
Ryan Swope should have been flagged about 3 times for his "celebrating" antics.

Would Vinnie be ejected for this hit?

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
this will be a huge issue in 2013. was listening to the discussion on sirius this morning with the sec head of officials. so with the clowney hit the ACC guy and a few others came out and said flag and ejection. the Fox Sports consultant, Pereira, said he wasn't too sure so he would have probably ejected him. So the SEC head of officials came on today and said 100% NOT a penalty. He then went on to say that they've now, after weeks of discussion, gained uniform consensus that a Clowney-like hit in 2013 will not be a penalty when 2 weeks ago it was. He said the confusion by the head of ACC officials, Pereira, and others was that it must be a defenseless player and there's no way you can be defenseless having the ball in your hands for that long (which i agree with, btw).

this won't be a lot of fun....

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Like Mack said earlier, there will probably be a ridiculous call early on. This call will be discussed ad nauseam for the next week or so and hopefully the refs will become looser with the regulation.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The thing about this rule is that refs WILL get it wrong. There is just no way they will get all the calls right. So as a program we really need to focus on the next man up mentality. At any point a call legit or not can cost you a starter and the next man up needs to be prepared to play winning ball in front of like a gazillion people with EVERYTHING on the line as it always is when we play. Alabama has as deep a bench as anyone so we can't use this as an excuse to lose.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.