*** 2014 LB Keith Holcombe Commits to Alabama ***

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
For me, I don't see an issue with this pick. How many high school linebackers are solid in coverage and playing in space? Most of the guys that we see tape on are just 'pin your ears back and go get em' kinda guys. In that sense (to me at least) he's a plug & play guy at the Sam position. Someone said Dillon Lee but to me, he looks more like Cory Reamer, in that he's solid in coverage and sound with his tackling skills.
I learned quite some time ago to not question anyone that this staff decides to sign. I scratched my head about Vinnie Sunseri. Didn't really think twice about Mark Ingram (I assumed Jermaine Preayer and Ivan Matchette would be THE guys). So you know...These guys have 3 rings to back up who they choose. So I just sit and applaud...

RammerJammer91

1st Team
Nov 27, 2012
For me, I don't see an issue with this pick. How many high school linebackers are solid in coverage and playing in space? Most of the guys that we see tape on are just 'pin your ears back and go get em' kinda guys. In that sense (to me at least) he's a plug & play guy at the Sam position. Someone said Dillon Lee but to me, he looks more like Cory Reamer, in that he's solid in coverage and sound with his tackling skills.
I learned quite some time ago to not question anyone that this staff decides to sign. I scratched my head about Vinnie Sunseri. Didn't really think twice about Mark Ingram (I assumed Jermaine Preayer and Ivan Matchette would be THE guys). So you know...These guys have 3 rings to back up who they choose. So I just sit and applaud...
Agreed. I trust Saban.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I admit I didn't see this one coming especially with the numbers being what they are but he is impressive on film. He has good size with long arms and should be able to add weight. Has good speed and good instincts. We have the best coach and best recruiter in the nation in Nick Saban so as others have said no worries. Welcome aboard Keith!

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Good tape, he can obviously hit hard. I think vinnie comparisons are appropriate. I also imagine he'll play safety but I wouldn't be shocked if he added weight and stuck at Sam. I like this pick up savant usually finds a couple guys on the camp scene that are highly underrated and end up contributing.

Rtr and welcome aboard.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Hey! We don't want to overload the servers! :biggrin: :BigA: JK.

Guess I set myself up for that one.;)

After watching his film, I have to admit I was impressed. I think the Cory Reamer comparison someone else has made is apt. With the popularity of the HUNH O, we definitely need lb's that can play in open space against dual threat qb's and fly to the ball.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
May be a H-back.
To be clear we've recruited Holcombe as a hybrid OLB / quasi-safety role (something similar to how we use Sunseri from time to time), but I've heard more than a few mention H-back as a possibility. At the very least, he certainly has the typical body type for that role, so it's at least a possible destination later on down the road.

A lot of his future, like most, will depend on just how much he bulks up in the S&C program. He's got a long frame (6'4), so if he starts adding some weight he's going to grow out of the OLB role. At that point we'll have to decide if we want to move him to ILB or come up with something else.

Last edited:

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
To be clear we've recruited Holcombe as a hybrid OLB / quasi-safety role (something similar to how we use Sunseri from time to time), but I've heard more than a few mention H-back as a possibility. At the very least, he certainly has the typical body type for that role, so it's at least a possible destination later on down the road.

A lot of his future, like most, will depend on just how much he bulks up in the S&C program. He's got a long frame (6'4), so if he starts adding some weight he's going to grow out of the OLB role. At that point we'll have to decide if we want to move him to ILB or come up with something else.
With the way the numbers are working out, and the fact that the Alabama staff is still after Evans, Carter, and McMillian at LB with three other LBs already committed, I tend to believe that H-back is ultimately Holcombe's position. He certainly has the athleticism to play the position and has a longer frame than another Tuscaloosa product that excelled there, Brad Smelley.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Full scholly, fyi. CNS likes him as a lb against the spread teams. Camps this summer helped his stock
Pure guesswork on my part, but that's what I had speculated after watching his film.

Also noticed that he had a 3.9 gpa. In CNS's system, heady players with talent are like cream rising to the top.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Pure guesswork on my part, but that's what I had speculated after watching his film.

Also noticed that he had a 3.9 gpa. In CNS's system, heady players with talent are like cream rising to the top.
Speaking of his GPA, Miller and SDH both have a 4.0 GPA. Bama isn't getting dumb linebackers in the 2014 class. That's for sure.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Speaking of his GPA, Miller and SDH both have a 4.0 GPA. Bama isn't getting dumb linebackers in the 2014 class. That's for sure.
Not exactly a surprise, we've typically recruited strong students to play linebacker for us -- Hightower, Mosley, Depriest, Johnson, etc. -- and really given the mental demands of our scheme from those positions, it's more of a requirement than anything else.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Keith has drawn comparisons to Corey Reamer, a guy he tries to imitate. Link

Adding muscle is part of his plan before moving over to UA this summer. He'd like to add 10 pounds to be a "solid 225." Alabama coaches told him they want to work at either middle or outside linebacker, but they want him mobile.
"They want me to keep my speed up," Holcombe said. "They talked about me playing on special teams early and that's fine with me. But wherever they put me, I'm going to give it my all."

Holcombe was clocked at 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash last summer. He's just eager to move across town and play in front of 101,000 on Saturdays.

"For me," Holcombe said, "it's just a drive for me to show everybody who I am and how I play."

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Keith has drawn comparisons to Corey Reamer, a guy he tries to imitate. Link
Holcombe compares pretty well to the player Reamer was before he had the knee injuries. I don't think the comparison is particularly fitting with respect to the player that UA fans came to know and love in '08 and '09.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Looking forward to seeing KH on special teams in the fall. I think he'll have that "prove them wrong" chip on his shoulder that Dee Hart displayed in coverage this year.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I really think he will remind us more of Vinnie than Reamer. Keith will be a heat seeking missle on special teams. Probably end up playing OLB. He reminds me a lot of Dillon Lee...maybe with a little more control. These are the kids who really give the team its identity. He will play hard every play and love doing it. It isn't about the NFL or money for Keith. Its about pride in Bama and being your best.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
I really think he will remind us more of Vinnie than Reamer. Keith will be a heat seeking missle on special teams. Probably end up playing OLB. He reminds me a lot of Dillon Lee...maybe with a little more control. These are the kids who really give the team its identity. He will play hard every play and love doing it. It isn't about the NFL or money for Keith. Its about pride in Bama and being your best.
Those are all very different players -- is there some rule that white players can only be compared to other white players? ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.