RB Leonard Fournette Commits to LSU

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: RB Leonard Fournette Updates

We've had years where we had a real problem with attrition in the RB corp due to injuries. I say sign as many as we can get. A couple of injuries to the No. 1 and No. 2 rotation right now would concern me less now than in the past, because the pantry is currently full of talented ball carriers.
As far as running backs are concerned, look at the QB situation if you want a different perspective. Alabama did try to bring in a QB per class, but what happened when Phillip Sims transferred? They had to move a guy from running back over to QB, and they still haven't found a clear replacement. That's with what seemed like a reasonable accumulation of QBs, and the fact that it impacted the RB depth says something as well.

Last year, people really seemed to think that the team had too many RBs coming into the season. What ends up happening? Alabama's main guy is someone that had injury concerns coming in, and the other two main backs? True freshmen... Just take a look at the list of top runners and it goes something like this:
1: Went to the NFL
2: Played as true freshman
3: Played as true freshman
4: Quarterback
5: Injured
6: Injured
7: Kicked off team
8: Walk-on

You can seem like you have a ton of guys, and then still end up short somehow. As soon as Alabama stops thinking they need RBs, is going to be right around the time they need them.

As far as the instate stuff, I was worried last year. Liner and Foster going to Auburn really would have hurt. Things worked out just fine, like they did with Yeldon, etc...

So, I'm not too worried about instate recruiting. Saban knows what he's doing, but he simply can't devote everything to recruiting instate.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

We've had years where we had a real problem with attrition in the RB corp due to injuries.
I understand your concerns, and you are correct that tailback probably has a higher level of attrition than any other position on the field. Nevertheless, you've got to field an entire roster, and we've got just about as many scholarships devoted to tailbacks right now as can be considered feasibly possible. At some point, with only about 78 scholarships remaining, you've just got to focus on the remaining 23 positions.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

Yeah I mean my point is not so much locking down the state at every position because if there are out of state players we have a HIGH chance of getting that ARE better than the homegrown guys then by all means recruit nationally like Saban is doing. BUT in this situation ROC Thomas looks like the best RB in the country to me and is right here in the state so you can't convince me he wouldn't Roll with us if we pursued him. LF is a serious long shot and pretty much an LSU lock IMHO. Why not get Roc when he looks better than LF? It's just mind boggling to me.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

BUT in this situation ROC Thomas looks like the best RB in the country to me and is right here in the state so you can't convince me he wouldn't Roll with us if we pursued him. LF is a serious long shot and pretty much an LSU lock IMHO. Why not get Roc when he looks better than LF? It's just mind boggling to me.
That may be, but clearly the staff evaluates things very differently. I think their take on Roc is that, while he's a fine player, we really don't necessarily need to add another tailback in this class, and we can get tailbacks in the 2015 class who are just as good as he is after we address some need areas in this class that are more immediately pressing.

Maybe they are wrong on that and the whole thing blows up in their faces, but FWIW I suspect that they are probably right. The fact that we have also had such success playing tailbacks immediately as true freshmen -- Ingram, Trent, Yeldon, and Drake -- only furthers their thinking in that regard, I believe.

Last edited:

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

That may be, but clearly the staff evaluates things very differently. I think their take on Roc is that, while he's a fine player, we really don't necessarily need to add another tailback in this class, and we can get tailbacks in the 2015 class who are just as good as he is after we address some need areas in this class that are more immediately pressing.

Maybe they are wrong on that and the whole thing blows up in their faces, but FWIW I suspect that they are probably right. The fact that we have also had such success playing tailbacks immediately as true freshmen -- Ingram, Trent, Yeldon, and Drake -- only furthers their thinking in that regard, I believe.
We already have the kid from Vigor committed to us for 2015. I agree with how the staff handled this situation. Roc is a great player, but we have several positions of need (OL, DB in particular) and we need bodies there; we'll return all our RBs next year barring transfer/ injury. I do feel for Roc if he wants to play for us, but this happens with a lot of kids at a lot of different schools. With Ross P. committing, I think Jordan Sims is in the same boat as Roc; but Sims may take a grayshirt offer.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas

For the three that still want to bring up the issue, I made two posts in the thread about the topic. Look at them. Bama isn't doing this every year. Please, quit acting like this happens every single year.
As did I, but some folks just won't look at the entire picture. But then again, I can already see how some will use the media to paint the picture that Alabama is "overlooking in-state talent" despite the fact that's it is far from the truth. But when has that stopped the media?

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012

As did I, but some folks just won't look at the entire picture. But then again, I can already see how some will use the media to paint the picture that Alabama is "overlooking in-state talent" despite the fact that's it is far from the truth. But when has that stopped the media?
That is the entire picture.... to include the media reactions in your evaluation of the recruiting is a full view. They are going to rack us across the coals and whether or not if its true there will be some out there who believes what is written.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

Your tone is quite confrontational for a discussion on this subject. Not everyone is going to see things your way. And I am one of those that don't.
Seriously? Everyone doesn't see it your way either. It's called an OPINION and if you are going to have thin skin, then this may not be the place for you. :)

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas

That is the entire picture.... to include the media reactions in your evaluation of the recruiting is a full view. They are going to rack us across the coals and whether or not if its true there will be some out there who believes what is written.
You didn't listen to Gene Stallings did you? I know Coach Saban shares the same philosophy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.