RB Leonard Fournette Commits to LSU

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: RB Leonard Fournette Updates

This is easy. If Fournette wants to get a lot of playing time, he should go to LSU. They will Lattimore him, and he will get a ton of playing time as long as he's healthy. For some players, they want to get the playing time and he'll get it there.

At Alabama, with Lacy and Ingram for example, they weren't forced onto the field while they were unhealthy, and they ultimately were able to showcase their skills effectively in that situation. Out of the three backs, Trent, and Lacy both had their best season in their final season (Ingram had an injury). When you look at carries, and the injuries Lattimore experienced, and contrast that to Alabama backs, you come to an interesting conclusion.

Alabama doesn't use their backs less, they use them more effectively. Lattimore had the lowest average of the four running backs. He got his most carries as a true freshman (hardly a good way to showcase your skills). Eddie Lacy's final season was better than Lattimore's first season. Etc...

Fournette can come to Alabama and it would play out something like this. He would get modest use as a true freshman. Probably about 100 carries. Then, Yeldon would leave, and he would almost certainly be a feature back. But, the team wouldn't use him up, so he'd still share time with some other guys. Then, you'd have a couple other guys leave, and he'd have a chance to peak at the right time.

He might not win as many awards, but at Alabama he stands the best chance of staying healthy, winning championships, and in the least it does nothing to hurt his chance of being a top draft pick.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

This is easy. If Fournette wants to get a lot of playing time, he should go to LSU. They will Lattimore him, and he will get a ton of playing time as long as he's healthy. For some players, they want to get the playing time and he'll get it there.

At Alabama, with Lacy and Ingram for example, they weren't forced onto the field while they were unhealthy, and they ultimately were able to showcase their skills effectively in that situation. Out of the three backs, Trent, and Lacy both had their best season in their final season (Ingram had an injury). When you look at carries, and the injuries Lattimore experienced, and contrast that to Alabama backs, you come to an interesting conclusion.

Alabama doesn't use their backs less, they use them more effectively. Lattimore had the lowest average of the four running backs. He got his most carries as a true freshman (hardly a good way to showcase your skills). Eddie Lacy's final season was better than Lattimore's first season. Etc...

Fournette can come to Alabama and it would play out something like this. He would get modest use as a true freshman. Probably about 100 carries. Then, Yeldon would leave, and he would almost certainly be a feature back. But, the team wouldn't use him up, so he'd still share time with some other guys. Then, you'd have a couple other guys leave, and he'd have a chance to peak at the right time.

He might not win as many awards, but at Alabama he stands the best chance of staying healthy, winning championships, and in the least it does nothing to hurt his chance of being a top draft pick.
Krazy, LSU and Alabama use their backs virtually the same way. In fact, in big games, Miles may rely on more of them than we do. Could LF be good enough for him to change that? Sure. But up to now, Lester has always split the carries.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

He won't even sniff the field if he can't block for the QB

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

He won't even sniff the field if he can't block for the QB

People say this but almost every year we have a true freshman get meaningful playing time at RB. Pass pro, while critical, is not impossible to learn. Some of y'all sound like everyone's mom when they're fifteen. Everytime you ask something she says "we'll see..."

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Drake had problems with pass protection last season. He's an integral part of the offense now.

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006

People say this but almost every year we have a true freshman get meaningful playing time at RB. Pass pro, while critical, is not impossible to learn. Some of y'all sound like everyone's mom when they're fifteen. Everytime you ask something she says "we'll see..."
Easier said than done and sorry, but pass protection is huge. Not something that you half heartedly do if you want to play. If you don't protect the QB, I can assure you that you'll get an ear full from Coach Saban (and from others) and if you don't do better, you probably won't get a lot of meaningful snaps.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Easier said than done and sorry, but pass protection is huge. Not something that you half heartedly do if you want to play. If you don't protect the QB, I can assure you that you'll get an ear full from Coach Saban (and from others) and if you don't do better, you probably won't get a lot of meaningful snaps.
EXACTLY!!

Well said, Sir!

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Good Lord. I watch the same games y'all do. I know how this works. I'm just saying that as important as pass protection is, usually one of the freshman manage to figure it out.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Don`t disagree with any of this. That said, these guys are elite athletes. Picking up the protection schemes and actually physically blocking someone is a matter of "want to". Neither of these things is beyond the capabilities of these guys.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

When Lattimore decided to go to USCe, I remember posting that he would be hurt because Spurrier would use him up. I was right. Most players want instant playing time more so than anything else, smart players see that that can showcase their talents without being an every down back and have fresh bodies when they get drafted.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I wonder how his visit went this past weekend. I also wonder what kind of prospect his little brother, Lanard, is. I think they both play RB at HS now. Wonder if Bama would offer little bro too? Lanard doesn't seem near as big, strong, or fast as Leonard, but who knows. Mom may want them to go to the same school.

So this on another board. Not sure where it originated from.

“It was amazing,” Fournette said. “Both teams came out and played a good game. The crowd, especially the atmosphere, everything was great. Just to come out and hanging out with the guys like big Cam [Robinson], Tony Brown, [Laurence] “Hootie" Jones and all of them. We just hung out and had a good time.”
Hope all come! Glad he had a good time. That BDS for you.

Sent from my iPhone

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

So this on another board. Not sure where it originated from.

“It was amazing,” Fournette said. “Both teams came out and played a good game. The crowd, especially the atmosphere, everything was great. Just to come out and hanging out with the guys like big Cam [Robinson], Tony Brown, [Laurence] “Hootie" Jones and all of them. We just hung out and had a good time.”

Sounds like a family reunion. He won't give away his hand. Doesn't sound overly impressed with Bama. Just enjoyed the people.

WsN

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 15, 2013

I was thinking exactly what you wrote JBama...amazing how he got that Fournette wasn't impressed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.