RB Leonard Fournette Commits to LSU

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Might as well get this one started since this is likely the kid everyone will be eventually be salivating over down the stretch, ala Nkemdiche, Clowney, Reuben Randle, et al.

Odds are he ends up at LSU, of course, but 'Bama is going extremely hard here, and we're at least a serious contender. Visits have been scheduled to some other schools, but realistically this is an LSU v. Alabama battle.

Lost count on how many unofficial trips he has taken to Baton Rouge, but it's got to be near double-digits now. We might need a bit of the nearly-annual offensive implosion from LSU to sway him in our direction. It certainly won't help that they will have earlier playing time to offer than we will. He could get a lot of reps in Baton Rouge as a true freshman, but in Tuscaloosa he's presumably going to be behind at least Yeldon, Henry, Tenpenny, Drake, etc.

This little quote from his Dad, however, is going to stir up some anger and paranoia in south Louisiana:

Alabama is the school that recruits him the hardest," Fournette II said. "They are on him non-stop. Coach (Burton) Burns, being a St. Augustine high school alumnus, wants him as much as anyone."
Almost certainly going to a National Signing Day decision.

Last edited:

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Re: RB Leonard Fournette Updates

Not saying that it has any impact on his decision, but I liked this quote:
Fournette Jr. said he liked that Alabama coach Nick Saban "keeps it real" with him.
"He says 'I do not need you but I want you' and that really stuck with me."

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Not saying that it has any impact on his decision, but I liked this quote:
Always nice to hear, but a constant refrain at this point, and something we've told every recruit for years. If Saban said that to Julio after losing to Louisiana-Monroe, he's certainly not going to change tune for another kid after three titles in four years.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Man, if we could get him and Robinson out of Louisiana. WOW!
It would be two years in a row we have signed Louisiana's top two players (last year was Collins and Devall). They had a meltdown over the two last year and it will get real bad if we do it again.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

It would be two years in a row we have signed Louisiana's top two players (last year was Collins and Devall). They had a meltdown over the two last year and it will get real bad if we do it again.
Wrong year. That was 2012. LSU got the top 2 guys instate in 2013.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I hope we do get LF, simply to lessen the sting of Roc going to the Barn, as already been stated though on the forum
, if we don't sign a RB at all in this class..We'd still be in better shape at RB than anyone in the country next year..

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I'm not going to sweat this situation. We are loaded at RB and can afford to skip a year. If would be a nice get for sure and a big jab to Ole Les but LF is probably going to stick with home. With BS's school issues I'm surprised we didn't try with RT at all. I hate that the barn got him cause to be honest his film looks better to me than LF to be honest. If we are taking a RB I'm shocked it's not Roc...that cat has crazy moves and speed. Oh well like I say we are loaded and can skip a year at this position.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL

I'm not going to sweat this situation. We are loaded at RB and can afford to skip a year. If would be a nice get for sure and a big jab to Ole Les but LF is probably going to stick with home. With BS's school issues I'm surprised we didn't try with RT at all. I hate that the barn got him cause to be honest his film looks better to me than LF to be honest. If we are taking a RB I'm shocked it's not Roc...that cat has crazy moves and speed. Oh well like I say we are loaded and can skip a year at this position.
I would be concerned if we skipped a year signing a RB. It would probably be OK if everybody we have now lives up to their potential and doesn't get hurt. The odds of that are very low.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

I would be concerned if we skipped a year signing a RB. It would probably be OK if everybody we have now lives up to their potential and doesn't get hurt. The odds of that are very low.
Wrong! We signed them for a very good reason (potential)!:cool:

Last edited:

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

We've had years where we had a real problem with attrition in the RB corp due to injuries. I say sign as many as we can get. A couple of injuries to the No. 1 and No. 2 rotation right now would concern me less now than in the past, because the pantry is currently full of talented ball carriers.

Last edited:

ledmonds22

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 8, 2010

I agree with you tusks. I have been watching film on players for a lot of years and Roc looks to be the real deal. He has got it all i.e. speed, moves, power. He does not go down without a fight. I would have loved for us to have gotten him. I hope he does not come back to haunt us. As far as the instate/outofstate debate, I feel like we definitely need to stay in control over our cross state rivals on super stars like Roc, Clark, Humphrey, etc; I know that you have got to win the titles while you can, but Saban is not going to be here forever and I want UA to always be the reining king of the state. I doubt very seriously that there is another coach out there that will be able to recruit nationwide like he can. If we did pass on Roc or even "soft" recruit him while waiting on LF, there must be some underlying reason.

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012

I agree with you tusks. I have been watching film on players for a lot of years and Roc looks to be the real deal. He has got it all i.e. speed, moves, power. He does not go down without a fight. I would have loved for us to have gotten him. I hope he does not come back to haunt us. As far as the instate/outofstate debate, I feel like we definitely need to stay in control over our cross state rivals on super stars like Roc, Clark, Humphrey, etc; I know that you have got to win the titles while you can, but Saban is not going to be here forever and I want UA to always be the reining king of the state. I doubt very seriously that there is another coach out there that will be able to recruit nationwide like he can. If we did pass on Roc or even "soft" recruit him while waiting on LF, there must be some underlying reason.
Thank both of you for your comments...I agree whole heartily with both of you (Ledmonds & Tusks) but where were you guys 3 months ago when I got hammered for stating these facts 3 months ago....I needed you guys.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

You would sacrifice being the best recruiting team in the country right now, and all of the National Championships that come with that, so you can win the state of Alabama in recruiting at some point in the distant future? Are you really thinking this through? You would rather be able to beat Auburn later than win championships now?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.