RB Leonard Fournette Commits to LSU

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Re: RB Leonard Fournette Updates

I must say that when I watch us play on Saturdays and we are winning big, I wonder what Fournette thinks when the studs that signed with us last year get in. Does he think he is good enough to surpass them and become #2 behind Yeldon, or does he feel like we have too many top flight running backs to overcome that competition. If he does wind up coming to Tuscaloosa you can definitely believe he isn't scared of competing for a job.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

I must say that when I watch us play on Saturdays and we are winning big, I wonder what Fournette thinks when the studs that signed with us last year get in. Does he think he is good enough to surpass them and become #2 behind Yeldon...
Or does he think he's good enough to surpass Yeldon - that's the kind of attitude that hopefully brings him to 'Bama.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

It`s interesting to me that two very major players in DI ( us and LSU) appear to have put all of their RB recruiting eggs in one basket for an entire recruiting cycle. Does that appear to be the case to everyone else?
Alabama can afford to do it after last season. LSU can't because they didn't sign a single RB in the 2013 class.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Or does he think he's good enough to surpass Yeldon - that's the kind of attitude that hopefully brings him to 'Bama.
Or does he think, "I'm good enough to play at UA, but I won't take near the hits during my college career." Of course, LSU rotates tailbacks as much as we do, maybe more.

Last edited:

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

It`s interesting to me that two very major players in DI ( us and LSU) appear to have put all of their RB recruiting eggs in one basket for an entire recruiting cycle. Does that appear to be the case to everyone else?
It is interesting. Unfortunately, I can't help thinking that this is the type of situation where if he gets a career-ending injury his freshman year, all of that effort to recruit him was wasted. That seems to be what often happens when a team puts all their "RB eggs" in one basket.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

I would say it is 70%-30% LSU right now...but you never know what could happen!
Matt,

no flame , but please tell us how you came to these percentages?? I am always fascinated how numbers are used by people when it comes to recruiting . I have seen 50/50 to 60/ 40. IMO , it's closer than you think.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Matt,

no flame , but please tell us how you came to these percentages?? I am always fascinated how numbers are used by people when it comes to recruiting . I have seen 50/50 to 60/ 40. IMO , it's closer than you think.
Some of it is based on articles I have read, some is based on the "home field advantage" LSU has, and some is just based on gut feelings. While it is true we can offer him everything LSU can, what we WON'T come out and say is something LSU will. Les Miles and whoever gets in his hear from there will all have the same message...."We will make you the center of our offense". I think in the end, that wins him over... (Not a knock on the kid by any means).

I would LOVE to have him. As I have said before he is in the top five backs that I have watched in my recruiting lifetime coming out of HS. I just think the opportunity to be "Leonard Fournette, Star at LSU" will win out over " Leonard Fournette, just another piece to the Alabama Championship machine!"

I _HOPE_ I am wrong....

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

It's common knowledge the 83% of all statistics are made up on the spot. :cool2:

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Some of it is based on articles I have read, some is based on the "home field advantage" LSU has, and some is just based on gut feelings. While it is true we can offer him everything LSU can, what we WON'T come out and say is something LSU will. Les Miles and whoever gets in his hear from there will all have the same message...."We will make you the center of our offense". I think in the end, that wins him over... (Not a knock on the kid by any means).

I would LOVE to have him. As I have said before he is in the top five backs that I have watched in my recruiting lifetime coming out of HS. I just think the opportunity to be "Leonard Fournette, Star at LSU" will win out over " Leonard Fournette, just another piece to the Alabama Championship machine!"

I _HOPE_ I am wrong....
The question about LSU and Bama putting their RB eggs into the Fournette basket comes into play here. LSU didn't sign a RB in 2013. Their current roster lists 4 RBs: Jeremy Hill (sophomore), Kenny Hilliard (junior), Terrence Magee (junior), and Alfred Blue (senior).

Let's assume the first three come back, LF has the show to himself in 2015 after being a solid contributor in their rotation in 2014.

Now let's go with the most likely option, Hill goes to the NFL and Blue graduates. LF is the man in 2014 through 2016.

Les better hope none of those RBs get hurt.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

The question about LSU and Bama putting their RB eggs into the Fournette basket comes into play here. LSU didn't sign a RB in 2013. Their current roster lists 4 RBs: Jeremy Hill (sophomore), Kenny Hilliard (junior), Terrence Magee (junior), and Alfred Blue (senior).

Let's assume the first three come back, LF has the show to himself in 2015 after being a solid contributor in their rotation in 2014.

Now let's go with the most likely option, Hill goes to the NFL and Blue graduates. LF is the man in 2014 through 2016.

Les better hope none of those RBs get hurt.
It is what it is. We have signed big names backs the last few years, even though we were already loaded. If LF isn't afraid of competition then this is all a moot point. We shall see.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

It is what it is. We have signed big names backs the last few years, even though we were already loaded. If LF isn't afraid of competition then this is all a moot point. We shall see.
Even if he isn't afraid of competition, he may still choose LSU. He may find it a better fit. I hope he decides to come to Tuscaloosa, though I wouldn't be surprised if that scared one of our current backs away.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

Even if he isn't afraid of competition, he may still choose LSU. He may find it a better fit. I hope he decides to come to Tuscaloosa, though I wouldn't be surprised if that scared one of our current backs away.
can he block for the QB?

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

LF is anywhere from 50-50 to 60-40 either way. Believe the LSU fans if you want but his coach says that its closer to 50-50 than anything. Also, yeah he could be the man in the backfield at LSU for three years and have Lattimore's problem at USCE. Overworked and get hurt or come to bama and share the load and still go in the first round maybe even higher than he would at lsu. Trent went third overall while sharing the football with first rounder Ingram and second rounder (should have been first) Lacey. My point is multiple backs makes more sense. To the guys on campus I don't think any are leaving. Yeldon is gone after next year. Drake is looking great ,like the coaches have said all along(it was always discipline) DH looks to have broken through the freshman wall. Altee looked good in his carries. Jones will get his chance as well. All I'm going to say is that Lacey waited his turn and would've been a first round pick if not for getting hurt right before the combine.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

LF is anywhere from 50-50 to 60-40 either way. Believe the LSU fans if you want but his coach says that its closer to 50-50 than anything. Also, yeah he could be the man in the backfield at LSU for three years and have Lattimore's problem at USCE. Overworked and get hurt or come to bama and share the load and still go in the first round maybe even higher than he would at lsu. Trent went third overall while sharing the football with first rounder Ingram and second rounder (should have been first) Lacey. My point is multiple backs makes more sense. To the guys on campus I don't think any are leaving. Yeldon is gone after next year. Drake is looking great ,like the coaches have said all along(it was always discipline) DH looks to have broken through the freshman wall. Altee looked good in his carries. Jones will get his chance as well. All I'm going to say is that Lacey waited his turn and would've been a first round pick if not for getting hurt right before the combine.
I'm not arguing against any of your points, lol... Though I think the perception of RB's will fall even further (draft wise) after the Trent thing. I hope to see him in Tuscaloosa, at the moment I don't share QUITE as much optimism as you.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I feel like he ends up signing with LSU but I wouldn't mind making them fight for his signature.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Miles and his staff won't be able to hide one fact. If they start recruiting another back, we know it's a race. Under no circumstances can he skip taking a runner for a second consecutive year.

TideRush

Scout Team
Jan 4, 2011

Another big factor may prove to be our November meeting. If LSU is ineffective in running the ball, as we have proved for most teams over the past 4 or 5 years. He may realize he may win some games, but not the ones that really matter. If you can't beat 'em......

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Another big factor may prove to be our November meeting. If LSU is ineffective in running the ball, as we have proved for most teams over the past 4 or 5 years. He may realize he may win some games, but not the ones that really matter. If you can't beat 'em......
If he is at Alabama for that game both teams will have an opportunity to win him over. An Alabama win in front of an electric crowd could leave a lasting impression. An LSU win in the face of that crowd would also.

TideRush

Scout Team
Jan 4, 2011

I'm not arguing against any of your points, lol... Though I think the perception of RB's will fall even further (draft wise) after the Trent thing. I hope to see him in Tuscaloosa, at the moment I don't share QUITE as much optimism as you.
Here's the thing about that. Over the past couple of years, NFL backs are averaging less rushing yards per game, as the league has become pass happy. Only half of 32 teams average 100 rushing yards per game, and the carries are mostly split between 2-3 backs.

Like any other position, the mere fact that we have a reputation of putting players in the NFL by the numbers can't be over looked. Eddie, Trent, Ingram are a trend. Can't help what happens to them at the next level, but they got there. Only Ingram has not performed, mostly due to injury. While the other 2 may not be going crazy, they are NFL starters. Ridley is the only LSU back I can think of that is having success at the next level.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.