DT Matt Elam Signs With Kentucky

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Re: DT Matt Elam Updates

I know I shouldn't read into rankings and stars but how did Elam drop from 7 to 173? Any insight?

http://247sports.com/Player/Matt-Elam-23445
these scouts only see highlight clips and maybe a cople games. Everyone can have a bad game. The all star stuff will be more telling. Some of his current weight is bad weight (according to Bone) so that may affect opinions.

These ranking services are just opinions. The only one that matters is CNS and Elam is very highly regarded by staff.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003

He also went from 4 star to 3 on 247.
No, he's still a 5* by 247 rankings.

He's 173 in the COMPOSITE rankings. He's 7 by 247's ranking. His composite looks like it peaked around 120-130

Meaning either Scout or Rivals has dropped him a bit.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

No, he's still a 5* by 247 rankings.

He's 173 in the COMPOSITE rankings. He's 7 by 247's ranking. His composite looks like it peaked around 120-130

Meaning either Scout or Rivals has dropped him a bit.
My bad. He dropped down to a 3 on Rivals.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Elam will be in Lexington next weekend on his official visit, and he'll come to Tuscaloosa at a later date. Do like the fact that we will be getting last-crack at this one.

Always tricky when dealing with kids like this with good in-state ties, but at the end of the day I have a hard time seeing him sign with Kentucky.

Lance Thompson went to see him earlier in the week, too, and it helps he's being recruited by someone with previous DL coaching experience.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Cross-post of mine from another thread:

"Just a note for the file: Saban is still in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. He's doing an in-school visit right now with Matt Elam at John Hardin High School. Apparently he stayed the night there last night, because he had an in-home with Elam yesterday evening."

Pretty obvious that we have Elam with the absolute highest of priorities.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

Cross-post of mine from another thread:

"Just a note for the file: Saban is still in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. He's doing an in-school visit right now with Matt Elam at John Hardin High School. Apparently he stayed the night there last night, because he had an in-home with Elam yesterday evening."

Pretty obvious that we have Elam with the absolute highest of priorities.
Thought I saw Elam say in twitter last night that his in home yesterday was cancelled due to weather delaying sabans travel. I think the in home is tonight

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL

Sounds like a Cody type to go along with Hand. We need that two gap guy in the middle. Makes life easier on LB's. It also forces everything to the edge. Cody was a monster for us as was Jessie Williams. We didn't have that guy this year. Maybe Elam will be that someday.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

Any updates on how his visit went?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Sounds like a Cody type to go along with Hand. We need that two gap guy in the middle. Makes life easier on LB's. It also forces everything to the edge. Cody was a monster for us as was Jessie Williams. We didn't have that guy this year. Maybe Elam will be that someday.
He's not. More like Warren Sapp. Like A'Shawn Robinson, he's big enough to play gap control but skillful enough to get penetration of the A gaps

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

He's not. More like Warren Sapp. Like A'Shawn Robinson, he's big enough to play gap control but skillful enough to get penetration of the A gaps
Sounds like a great complement that we could have used this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Sounds like a great complement that we could have used this year.

Same thing someone wrote in an article earlier last week ironically enough. They said his skill set was perfect for offenses like TAMU & AU and that Elam should be our top priority.

I agree to a certain extent. I think Jalen Tabor should be our top priority. Our perimeters are suspect

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Same thing someone wrote in an article earlier last week ironically enough. They said his skill set was perfect for offenses like TAMU & AU and that Elam should be our top priority.

I agree to a certain extent. I think Jalen Tabor should be our top priority. Our perimeters are suspect
Elam and Humphery should and are our top priorities. IMO the biggest gets other than them are the Offensive Tackle that will get us that one yard we needed. We Missed Fluker the most out of anybody from last year.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010

I agree, we need two great DBs that can start right away. Cyrus Jones unfortunately probably cost Bama the Auburn game (among others).....he was lucky that wide open pass was off in the first quarter for a touchdown, too.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007

Jones will be a lot better next year just watch, I remember watching Kareem Jackson and thinking that he would never make it and he turned out to be pretty good. But you are correct our dbs were who we thought they were (young/inexperienced)
I agree, we need two great DBs that can start right away. Cyrus Jones unfortunately probably cost Bama the Auburn game (among others).....he was lucky that wide open pass was off in the first quarter for a touchdown, too.

RammerJammer91

1st Team
Nov 27, 2012

Jones will be a lot better next year just watch, I remember watching Kareem Jackson and thinking that he would never make it and he turned out to be pretty good. But you are correct our dbs were who we thought they were (young/inexperienced)
I said the same thing about Deion Belue last year and he had came back with a solid season this year. Hopefully Cyrus can take his game to the next level.

Heisman4Bama

1st Team
Jun 18, 2010

I said the same thing about Deion Belue last year and he had came back with a solid season this year. Hopefully Cyrus can take his game to the next level.
If not, he's going to get passed up for the starting job. Going to be a great competition next year for the two spots.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.