DT Matt Elam Signs With Kentucky

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: DT Matt Elam Updates

I said the same thing about Deion Belue last year and he had came back with a solid season this year. Hopefully Cyrus can take his game to the next level.
Not gonna lie, I though we were in major trouble with Belue being our number one after last season. He did a great job this season and I was impressed. Hopefully Cyrus has the same leap. And he just changed positions from WR so he has a lot of room to grow, I would think.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

And milliner..
corner is one position thats extremely difficult to play without having experience, and sometimes experience comes from learning from mistakes. we'll get some solid recruits this class, but the guys who played and 'learned under fire' this season will still have a big advantage over playing a true freshman with no college game experience (i.e. D. Milliner in his freshman season). Jones, jackson, smith, Cook,...even Jai Miller will have a decided edge from having time in our defensive system and extra practice... Im not saying that the true freshmen in the 2014 class cant win the job, im just saying that a year or two of experience at DB is critical, and may be the difference in who gets the start, and, im good with that if so.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

corner is one position thats extremely difficult to play without having experience, and sometimes experience comes from learning from mistakes. we'll get some solid recruits this class, but the guys who played and 'learned under fire' this season will still have a big advantage over playing a true freshman with no college game experience (i.e. D. Milliner in his freshman season). Jones, jackson, smith, Cook,...even Jai Miller will have a decided edge from having time in our defensive system and extra practice... Im not saying that the true freshmen in the 2014 class cant win the job, im just saying that a year or two of experience at DB is critical, and may be the difference in who gets the start, and, im good with that if so.
Except a guy in his fourth year was probably the worst CB this year. Overall, I agree with you. There are exceptions, though.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

remember the johnson kid who struggled his first 3 years but had a great senior season during i think 2009? maybe the same out com for cyrus.
You are talking about Marqise and he did come on strong his senior year. I think Cyrus is athletic enough to be a very good CB and will become one.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

Jones will be a lot better next year just watch, I remember watching Kareem Jackson and thinking that he would never make it and he turned out to be pretty good. But you are correct our dbs were who we thought they were (young/inexperienced)
Denny Green, is that you?

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I think Fulton was given up on too soon. I understand the argument of if you are gonna have a inexperienced corner, make it a young one. But, the only game he really got meaningful snaps in was the aTm game and none of our DB's played well that game including Haha and Belue. At least Fulton was generally in the right spot and didn't blow coverage completely.
Rant over. Back to Elam. It is amazing how we have gone from a Huge OL class to a huge DL class in a matter of a month. Elam would be a great get. I hope all of this "Saban to Texas" rumors doesn't scare these recruits off. I'm sure the other teams are using it all they can.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I hope all of this "Saban to Texas" rumors doesn't scare these recruits off. I'm sure the other teams are using it all they can.
He is going nowhere and that will be revealed in the next couple of weeks. There is still 2 months until signing day so I don't see how this would scare any recruits off.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

Just saw where Elam will make his choice between Bama and UK on Jan. 4th at the US All American Army Bowl. Sounds like his heart is still with the home school. We'll see where his heart is leading him on Jan. 4th and Feb. 5th. Hope we get him. We need him.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

What makes you think that? I haven't seen much to indicate one way or the other.
they reallllly rolled out the blue carpet for him on his UK official....and I've said it multiple times before, he will have trouble telling the home team "no." He's already said yes to Bama, but the rejecting UK may not come easily.....

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

Elam can be a dominating player whether he chooses Bama or Kentucky. It would be great to see him on a dominating defense of a National Championship team. Basketball is king at Kentucky. If your goal is to be the best player on the best football team then Bama will provide that opportunity.

KYtider

Jul 16, 2013

Hello guys whats going on, I hung out with Elam hs assistant coach last night. As I have mentioned before we played college football together and have been great friends ever since. He take Matt on all his recruiting visits and to all camps this past summer. After us having an awful month or so of recruiting it is not going to get any better. He confirmed me last night that 100% that Matt is going to stay close to home and attend UK. He told me he was absolutely blown away by Alabama and the way he was treated while being in Tuscaloosa but distance ended up being the final straw. He says Alabama continues to do what they can but he wasn't for sure if Matt had told our coaches yet or not but he is going to go to UK.. It makes me sick of my stomach what players have de-committed and what other players we have missed on.. Our class maybe #1 in the country but the players I am wanting are not in it yet. I would love to finish with Tabor, Humphrey, maybe Tony Brown, Mixon and whoever else CNS can surprise us with. We need corner help and depth for yrs, also I don't know why we can't get a pass rusher off the edge that can cause havoc without having to blitz. HA HA is gone even though some people think otherwise. I would give anything if he stayed, but I honestly think the player who does need to stay and everyone is already saying no chance he is coming back is CryusK. It needs work and is still raw and would completely help us out while we start the season being a def run first off until we have a QB. Let us know if you have anymore info on recruiting with the players left, because I haven't been on here for a while. But, figured I needed to get on here and post about Elam and let everyone know the more bad news on the recruiting front. Thanks and RTR!!!!!!

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006

Hello guys whats going on, I hung out with Elam hs assistant coach last night. As I have mentioned before we played college football together and have been great friends ever since. He take Matt on all his recruiting visits and to all camps this past summer. After us having an awful month or so of recruiting it is not going to get any better. He confirmed me last night that 100% that Matt is going to stay close to home and attend UK. He told me he was absolutely blown away by Alabama and the way he was treated while being in Tuscaloosa but distance ended up being the final straw. He says Alabama continues to do what they can but he wasn't for sure if Matt had told our coaches yet or not but he is going to go to UK.. It makes me sick of my stomach what players have de-committed and what other players we have missed on.. Our class maybe #1 in the country but the players I am wanting are not in it yet. I would love to finish with Tabor, Humphrey, maybe Tony Brown, Mixon and whoever else CNS can surprise us with. We need corner help and depth for yrs, also people think otherwise. I would give anything if he stayed, but I honestly think the player who does need to stay and eveI don't know why we can't get a pass rusher off the edge that can cause havoc without having to blitz. HA HA is gone even though someryone is already saying no chance he is coming back is CryusK. It needs work and is still raw and would completely help us out while we start the season being a def run first off until we have a QB. Let us know if you have anymore info on recruiting with the players left, because I haven't been on here for a while. But, figured I needed to get on here and post about Elam and let everyone know the more bad news on the recruiting front. Thanks and RTR!!!!!!
I guess you forgot about DaShawn Hand. This kid is the epitome of speed rush guy.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

So with this latest tidbit, CNS and staff should forgo any further recruiting on Elam?? Not trying to be sarcastic or disrespectful, but from all indications if Elam loves Bama and wants to be in Tuscaloosa, but in the end he is staying home because saying no to a perennial SEC East doormat may too much to overcome???Am I missing something?

Last edited:

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

It is no secret that there is a lot of pressure on Elam to stay in Kentucky, but I have learned when it comes to recruiting not to pay too much attention to someone's inside info. Even Elam may not know yet where he will go. AJ was going to Okie the night before signing day. CNS has a history of big surprises. We have the #1 rated class and it will only get stronger.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.