DT Matt Elam Signs With Kentucky

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Re: CB Tony Brown commits to Bama!!! RTR!!

I agree with you because when I said that I wasnt referring to Elam because against a team like A&M he would be a liability. What a lot of people dont realize is that against Auburn...the scheme Saban used was working when Bama went up 21-7....it just bold down to our players not staying disciplined and getting exposed for those mistakes. The real issues that need to be adressed is how our D played against Texas A&M and Oklahoma who run true hurry up spread offenses. When I made the statement of a huge pentrating NG I meant a guy like Jarran Reed or A'Shawn Robinson....a big guy who can push the pocket and disrupt in the backfield.

Right on! Coaches had that offense figured out if it weren't for the players making such big mistakes.

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013

Right on! Coaches had that offense figured out if it weren't for the players making such big mistakes.
I guess since I have a low post count...you think I'm a barner troll lol But if you think back....when Marshall ran for his touchdown CJ ran into the wrong gap after the running back and on the touchdown pass....Cyrus ran in to try to tackle Marshall instead of staying on his man...I never once stated that Coach Saban had the offense "figured out"...I said the scheme that he used was working in containing Auburn but it boiled down to mistakes that were exploited....

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

I guess since I have a low post count...you think I'm a barner troll lol But if you think back....when Marshall ran for his touchdown CJ ran into the wrong gap after the running back and on the touchdown pass....Cyrus ran in to try to tackle Marshall instead of staying on his man...I never once stated that Coach Saban had the offense "figured out"...I said the scheme that he used was working in containing Auburn but it boiled down to mistakes that were exploited....
Interesting observation from tonight's game. FSU's big guys move a lot better than ours.

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013

Interesting observation from tonight's game. FSU's big guys move a lot better than ours.
That's a great observation....that's why in this class and last year you see Bama bringing in those big DLs that can also move as Coach Saban calls them "quick twitch" players. I also think we will see a change in the philosophy of Saban. In the past he wanted a DLs to make a wall and jus affect the QB....I think we will start to see them become more disruptive and go after the QB....

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

That's a great observation....that's why in this class and last year you see Bama bringing in those big DLs that can also move as Coach Saban calls them "quick twitch" players. I also think we will see a change in the philosophy of Saban. In the past he wanted a DLs to make a wall and jus affect the QB....I think we will start to see them become more disruptive and go after the QB....
DaShawn Hand..........take a bow! :cool2:

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL

In the past he wanted a DLs to make a wall and jus affect the QB....I think we will start to see them become more disruptive and go after the QB....
I think what you're really referring to is Saban's tweaking of his defensive philosophy. Running a true 3-4 scheme, DL are not expected to exert pressure on the QB (aka "affect the QB). Having DL pressure the QB is usually what is expected in a true 4-3 scheme. LB's, in the 3-4 set, are the ones (along with DB's) who bring the most pressure on a QB in the 3-4 scheme. However, most of the time the 3-4 defense requires true run-pluggers in the inside positions... and athletic guys who can either rush or drop on the outside. Guys like McClain and Hightower were prototypes of what you wanted in an ILB... with a guy like Upshaw being the prototype at OLB.

In the past few years especially, with so many teams running a 3-WR set, our base has become more of a 4-2-5 rather than a true 3-4. In essence, that's taking away one "big" from the pass rush package and replacing him with a lighter DB that can more easily be stonewalled by a RB in pass pro. Guys like Stinson and Pagan were recruited/developed more as ideal ends for the 3-4, but yet they need to be more than that when we're running a 4-2-5. As much as we think DE's are going to be the answer, I really believe the LB's are the answer to this puzzle.

Instead of the usual "run-stuffers" at the ILB positions, we're going to need two guys like CJM... guys a bit lighter than what you'd ideally like who can play run/pass equally well as well as put pressure on the QB at times. We also are going to need at least one OLB that is serviceable at stopping the run, but excels in pass coverage. The other OLB is going to need to be a guy who is the exact opposite... serviceable in pass coverage but a beast against the run. IF we have this, then we can always utilize our package each week to include exclude the OLB that is best suited for the opponent... sitting the other. Same probably goes for the DL also... we'll need a unit that is ideally suited to stop the LSU's of the SEC... but also a unit more suited for A&M. Problem is... CJM's don't exactly grow on trees and that's a LOT of coaching variety.

Will be interesting to see it play out...

RTRCharlotte

Scout Team
Jul 26, 2010

After watching Timmy Jernigan for FSU last night (weighs less than 290) play nose tackle, I think we need agile bodies in the middle to create pressure on the qb. During run plays, bring in the run stuffers, but who do we have that can create pressure from the middle of the line?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Re: DT Matt Elam Updates

I think we go after large, agile linemen and find exceptionally fast linebackers to apply the pressure.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

After watching Timmy Jernigan for FSU last night (weighs less than 290) play nose tackle, I think we need agile bodies in the middle to create pressure on the qb. During run plays, bring in the run stuffers, but who do we have that can create pressure from the middle of the line?
A'shawn Robinson?

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006

Bama recruited Jernigan pretty hard too....

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013

Bama recruited Jernigan pretty hard too....
Yea....I was thinking about that last night while watching him but his decision really boiled down to him wanting to stay closer to his daughter. But I think against teams like A&M who use the hurry spread offense...a player like A'Shawn Robinson...who is a big body but is also very agile and creates that push can be very affective in the middle of our defense. I think we will have the players on our roster who can be affective against the offense like Pagan, Hand, Robinson, Reed, Allen, Williams, Tomlinson, a healthy Hubbard (if he returns) and Miller. I think we are seeing Saban adapting to his surrounding....just how we saw him adapt to stopping Florida's spread option attack by getting bigger bodies to blow up plays in the middle.
Also, I dont think just because we run a base 3-4 defense, it means dat our DLs just have to build walls and let the LBs do all the work. I think our problem has been that we just havent have a DL that can create that havoc. If you guys remember we had Dareus who didnt just create a wall, but got penetration and wreaked havoc in the backfield on plays. I think we are starting to get some guys on our roster who can simulate what Dareus did in our defense.

riggstidefan7

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 10, 2011
Guin, AL

... I think we will have the players on our roster who can be affective against the offense like Pagan, Hand, Robinson, Reed, Allen, Williams, Tomlinson, a healthy Hubbard (if he returns) and Miller. I think we are seeing Saban adapting to his surrounding....just how we saw him adapt to stopping Florida's spread option attack by getting bigger bodies to blow up plays in the middle.
Also, I dont think just because we run a base 3-4 defense, it means dat our DLs just have to build walls and let the LBs do all the work. I think our problem has been that we just havent have a DL that can create that havoc. If you guys remember we had Dareus who didnt just create a wall, but got penetration and wreaked havoc in the backfield on plays. I think we are starting to get some guys on our roster who can simulate what Dareus did in our defense.
Dee Liner also comes to mind.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

He did't redsirt.
I believe he did. I just don't recall him playing. I remember it being discussed. Anyone know for certain?

edit: he's not listed on the redshirt thread. I just don't remember him having any kind of production. That's kind of a waste. Though we we're thin at dline I guess

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I believe he did. I just don't recall him playing. I remember it being discussed. Anyone know for certain?

edit: he's not listed on the redshirt thread. I just don't remember him having any kind of production. That's kind of a waste. Though we we're thin at dline I guess
He played a few games (Mississippi State, maybe?). Saban mentioned him as a possibility during a press conference or "Hey Coach." He played that week but not much more.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

He played a few games (Mississippi State, maybe?). Saban mentioned him as a possibility during a press conference or "Hey Coach." He played that week but not much more.
He did play a little and hate he burned his 'shirt on a handful of plays but like most guys on our roster, they will move on and we will fill their spot with another highly rated 4 or 5*.

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013

He did't redsirt.
Well...my bad...I was just going off a tweet he made this year and he said he was redshirting this year. The coaching staff must have redshirted him at first then pulled it off for a few plays.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Well...my bad...I was just going off a tweet he made this year and he said he was redshirting this year. The coaching staff must have redshirted him at first then pulled it off for a few plays.

Correct. He was red shirting but kirven's injury forced us to look deeper on the roster. Liner was expecting to play against UTC I think to get his feet wet, but something (I forget what) popped up and he didnt play until MSU. I was hoping he'd get that extra pt in a blowout, but I can't remember why the plug was pulled.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.