DT Matt Elam Signs With Kentucky

WsN

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 15, 2013
Re: DT Matt Elam Updates

It is no secret that there is a lot of pressure on Elam to stay in Kentucky, but I have learned when it comes to recruiting not to pay too much attention to someone's inside info. Even Elam may not know yet where he will go. AJ was going to Okie the night before signing day. CNS has a history of big surprises. We have the #1 rated class and it will only get stronger.
I don't think AJ made his decision the night before being that him and Flucker attended Trent's announcement, however, I do agree with your statement...it's not over until it's over.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

It is no secret that there is a lot of pressure on Elam to stay in Kentucky, but I have learned when it comes to recruiting not to pay too much attention to someone's inside info. Even Elam may not know yet where he will go. AJ was going to Okie the night before signing day. CNS has a history of big surprises. We have the #1 rated class and it will only get stronger.
Slight correction - AJ was going to OU the night before his announcement, not NSD.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

Slight correction - AJ was going to OU the night before his announcement, not NSD.
Thanks for the correction. It would be great if Elam chooses Bama. I guess we just have to wait and see.

KYtider

Jul 16, 2013

Braveheart sorry about Hand, kid is going on to a stud. As for sanjose, we all know Bama has a chance just because Saban gives us that along with our tradition. I just hardly get a chance to add information about a recruit we are trying to get at bama. Most of times I am just on here reading your guys post on recruiting. But at this point, this is were Elam is standing. Can it change? Of course it is recruiting. RTR..

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

Hello guys whats going on, I hung out with Elam hs assistant coach last night. As I have mentioned before we played college football together and have been great friends ever since. He take Matt on all his recruiting visits and to all camps this past summer. After us having an awful month or so of recruiting it is not going to get any better. He confirmed me last night that 100% that Matt is going to stay close to home and attend UK. He told me he was absolutely blown away by Alabama and the way he was treated while being in Tuscaloosa but distance ended up being the final straw. He says Alabama continues to do what they can but he wasn't for sure if Matt had told our coaches yet or not but he is going to go to UK.. It makes me sick of my stomach what players have de-committed and what other players we have missed on.. Our class maybe #1 in the country but the players I am wanting are not in it yet. I would love to finish with Tabor, Humphrey, maybe Tony Brown, Mixon and whoever else CNS can surprise us with. We need corner help and depth for yrs, also I don't know why we can't get a pass rusher off the edge that can cause havoc without having to blitz. HA HA is gone even though some people think otherwise. I would give anything if he stayed, but I honestly think the player who does need to stay and everyone is already saying no chance he is coming back is CryusK. It needs work and is still raw and would completely help us out while we start the season being a def run first off until we have a QB. Let us know if you have anymore info on recruiting with the players left, because I haven't been on here for a while. But, figured I needed to get on here and post about Elam and let everyone know the more bad news on the recruiting front. Thanks and RTR!!!!!!
Maybe he should have a chat with Shaun Alexander.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

It seems a lot of recruiting analysts have changed their prediction from Bama to UK. Wonder if anything in particular changed his mind all of a sudden. They must have had an interview with him and he let something out of the bag.

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010

247 has an interview with him
Not looking good for us. I hope he realizes that he probably needs CNS more. If he has to announce during the game. I guess it's UK.
It seems a lot of recruiting analysts have changed their prediction from Bama to UK. Wonder if anything in particular changed his mind all of a sudden. They must have had an interview with him and he let something out of the bag.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Maybe more than distance, he just wants to be a big fish in a small pond. Elam, as good as he is, will have to wait in line to play here. Of course, we would prepare him better for the NFL, but that advantage does not seem to hold sway over recruits as much as I would have thought it would.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Maybe more than distance, he just wants to be a big fish in a small pond. Elam, as good as he is, will have to wait in line to play here. Of course, we would prepare him better for the NFL, but that advantage does not seem to hold sway over recruits as much as I would have thought it would.
everyone is different. I think distance from home is our biggest obstacle.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

I don't know the kid or know that much about him besides his stats but it may just be he wants to stay in KY and doesn't want to have to work very hard to become a starter. At Alabama he has a bunch a really good players in front of him and he may not be able to beat out those ahead of him in his Fr year.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

I don't know the kid or know that much about him besides his stats but it may just be he wants to stay in KY and doesn't want to have to work very hard to become a starter. At Alabama he has a bunch a really good players in front of him and he may not be able to beat out those ahead of him in his Fr year.

nothing against you chat but i really hate to speculate on a kids work ethic. it's not like he's in alabama. He lives out of state. a lot of kids grow up dreaming of playing for the state school. and he could be very close to his family. If i was an AA player out of high school, i wouldnt consider leaving the state. i just couldnt be that far away from my family unless i had to.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

nothing against you chat but i really hate to speculate on a kids work ethic. it's not like he's in alabama. He lives out of state. a lot of kids grow up dreaming of playing for the state school. and he could be very close to his family. If i was an AA player out of high school, i wouldnt consider leaving the state. i just couldnt be that far away from my family unless i had to.
gamersfuel, not questioning his work ethic but stating a fact that making it as a starter at Alabama is w--a--y harder than being a starter at KY. If the kid is more comfortable at KY then stay in KY. I certainly don't believe in ragging on a kid if he doesn't choose Alabama.

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Only a couple of more days until we get the announcement on Elam, but frankly I imagine the school coming out on the short end then still recruits him heavily in the final month, so this one may still have a long way to go.

The in-state pull is obviously very tough here. We've gotten a yes from the kid, but the family wants him at UK. I think he personally wants to be at Alabama, but there is no guarantee it actually happens that way.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Elam has announced that he's delaying his announcement until signing day.

I would imagine that works in our favor

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

Elam has announced that he's delaying his announcement until signing day.

I would imagine that works in our favor

Interesting. Very interesting. I guess he is still unsure. At least that will give us some NSD drama this year. I think I might be sick that day and stay home from work. :eek2:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Aaaaaaand following suit, another one of our targets, Elisha Shaw, is delaying his announcement until signing day

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006

Aaaaaaand following suit, another one of our targets, Elisha Shaw, is delaying his announcement until signing day
I'm going to be VERY surprised if Shaw ever plays a down of Division I college football with his vertabrae issues.

KYtider

Jul 16, 2013
Re: CB Tony Brown commits to Bama!!! RTR!!

Guys living in the state of KY now, where one top recruit comes out every 10-15 yrs, I am never able to add any information on recruiting but I love the insight by RTO & Jam. But with I will say it again, one of my top 5 friends takes him on all recruiting visits for his father, who is the HC of John Hardin HS where Matt plays. We have been his only other option the entire process besides UK. And unless CNS pulls off some type of miracle the kid is going to UK. He just doesn't want to leave home and UK's campus is 1 hour from his house. Elam is going to play for the worst team in the SEC and he won't make a difference in their record but is good enough to make it to the next level no matter where he plays. I hate it as much as any other die hard Bama fan but, I just wanted to offer my input again. Nothing has changed and I talked to my best friend 2 days ago and he assured me that he is def going to UK. He has kept me informed through Matt's entire recruiting process because he knows how much I love Bama but, we missed this one.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.