DT Matt Elam Signs With Kentucky

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Re: DT Matt Elam Commits to Kentucky

would have loved to have him but those of you saying he's making a mistake are wrong. he could have chose to go to alabama if he wanted. He didnt want to. we cant get them all. good luck to him.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Well I'm not going to hold a grudge against him for choosing UK but as I said before he won't leave UK with a SEC title or a NC ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.

He says his ultimate goal is the NFL and passes on signing with a Nick Saban coached Alabama team. What am I missing here? Oh well, this does not surprise me. It's been obvious for a while that he's been struggling telling Kentucky no.

I wish Elam the best of luck, but he's making an epic mistake.

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013

Wow, guess I got to eat crow on this one....I was hearing Bama but they said Bama has the slight edge as of right now....thats never a good sign when your fighting for a kid who has the pressure to stay home that Elam did. After hearing his coach say all the things he wanted to achieve....I just dont get Kentucky but that is where his heart is and congrats to Elam and best of luck to him except when he plays us. RTR

KYtider

Jul 16, 2013

Guys first off I appreciate the guys who acknowledged me for knowing this from day 1.. Honestly though you guys, it was closer than a lot of people realize. I had posted about a week ago on here that we had made up huge ground after he visited with his mom. And no I am not a recruiting guru but I do follow it throughout the country because it is definitely where championships are started at. I feel bad for Matt though and I was there today and could see it that he wanted to wear crimson and white and have the opportunity to play for a national title but I stated in my first post, a lot of you guys and i'll include myself, have no clue what that kid has to endure everyday to make it. My good friend's dad as soon noted is a first class man and coach and left his decision up to Matt, my buddy just helped him make it to camps and etc.. But after practice from what I have been told, it is basically the Blindside without the cameras, directors, and I can't leave out Sandra Bullock, sheww.. lol.. I wanted him in crimson more than anything you guys just like I do with all the players that has success wrote all over them. He is first class and a Bama Player, that is what made it so tough for him. All I ask you guys is to stay classy on this one cause he has earned it. But, if we play em in his "3" yrs at UK, I've told him and we already know on here, its Roll Damn Tide!!!! They might be heading back to Nashville and the Music City the next couple yrs. But as dominate as he is, he is not our answer to what seems to be our hurdle just like other great D's, this NHHU OFFENSE that I can't stand.. He would of help against LSU but been a weakness against the A&M's, Barn's, Oregon's, etc.. I think he def had a spot, but we need the college version of Ndamukong Suh instead of the CodyII as this point of c'fball JMI... RTR

Drifter

3rd Team
Mar 10, 2010

Thanks KYtider.
Now to put this thing to bed, is there any chance of a flip on signing day?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

He says his ultimate goal is the NFL and passes on signing with a Nick Saban coached Alabama team. What am I missing here?
Probably more than you think.

The biggest difference between going to Alabama and going to Kentucky will be wins and losses; he'd probably win 10+ games just about every year in Tuscaloosa and perhaps a ring or two, whereas in Kentucky he'll be very lucky if he ever even sees one 8-5 season and a trip to the Music Cit Bowl. In terms of NFL impact, though, so much of that is based on individual ability and expectation, and it's not like he'll receive poor coaching from Stoops.

Don't get me wrong, obviously I like benefiting from the persuasive powers of an NFL pipeline on the recruiting trail, but in reality where you go in college means far less than most people believe. And speaking of defensive tackles in the NFL Draft, look at where the top DT picks in recent years have gone to school... Missouri, Utah, Memphis, and Mississippi State. Ditto for this year too, where the highest DT off the board will be Aaron Donald out of Pitt, who spent four years playing for an also-ran that averaged six losses per season with three different head coaches (and two more interim head coaches on top of that).

My point is just that if Elam is really as good as the Kentucky people hope, and as good as Saban and company thought he would be, he'll be fine in terms of a future in the NFL. He's losing collegiate success and team accomplishments going to Kentucky, not NFL money.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

For what it's worth... I think we get Elisha Shaw now.
Maybe, but it's hard to count Shaw at this point even if he does sign. Neck injuries are especially tricky, and there is no guarantee at all that he will ever actually be medically cleared. In fact, a lot of people think that will never happen...

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

My point is just that if Elam is really as good as the Kentucky people hope, and as good as Saban and company thought he would be, he'll be fine in terms of a future in the NFL. He's losing collegiate success and team accomplishments going to Kentucky, not NFL money.
Making it to the NFL is all on an individual and luck (avoiding injury). Some supremely talented kids couldn't get through college without issues, whereas late bloomers found their way to NFL stardom.

What I think sets CNS apart from almost any other program is that he has an outstanding structure that allows a player the best opportunity to maximize their potential. Some coaches (like Shula) expected players to do right and some obviously did from his era (DeMeco), but CNS actually forces a player to do more, which is why I think we have had so much on field success and NFL draft success with him.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Maybe, but it's hard to count Shaw at this point even if he does sign. Neck injuries are especially tricky, and there is no guarantee at all that he will ever actually be medically cleared. In fact, a lot of people think that will never happen...
Wasn't Robert Quinn in a similar situation? Is Shaw's injury similar?

Last note on "turning Kentucky around." : you can't. Not with five Matt Elams, one Derek Abney, a Cobb, Tim Couch, and Micah Johnson all on the same team. It's Tennessee, only farther away from anything with a big brother basketball program that will crush any momentum Stoops manages to build. He went there to reap the benefits of "local boy done good" for his family. Just like many did here when we struggled. Best of luck Matt, work hard and keep your noise clean.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Wasn't Robert Quinn in a similar situation? Is Shaw's injury similar?

Last note on "turning Kentucky around." : you can't. Not with five Matt Elams, one Derek Abney, a Cobb, Tim Couch, and Micah Johnson all on the same team. It's Tennessee, only farther away from anything with a big brother basketball program that will crush any momentum Stoops manages to build. He went there to reap the benefits of "local boy done good" for his family. Just like many did here when we struggled. Best of luck Matt, work hard and keep your noise clean.
Not real comparison on Quinn, who had a pretty serious brain issue that had to be resolved surgically. That was basically a one-off situation that didn't really affect his playing ability or his status moving forward, but a neck injury is a different story entirely. Aside from being incredibly dangerous to play with, neck injuries are particularly debilitating for football players because they have such tremendous impact on strength and upper body quickness and movement (all of which is critical for a DL). Making matters worse, neck injuries are particularly susceptible to re-injury by linemen, just because you have collisions involving the head and neck occurring on literally every single snap.

Hope Shaw can make it, and FWIW he's a fine player when healthy, but I'm not really betting on it happening. I think the general consensus from most is that he will end up on a medical scholarship wherever he goes.

And as for Elam, bingo. There is no "turning around" that program, and in his heart of hearts I'm sure he knows that.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

The only correlation between Shaw and Quinn is that we are willing to offer a scholarship regardless of health. If Shaw signs, he will be placed on medical until he is or if he is ever cleared.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

I remember Quinn's status being uncertain, couldn't remember the injury, just that it was near the old brain box and that he might not play again. Thanks guys.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

KYtider

Jul 16, 2013

Drifter sorry been outta town. But, yeah put this one is to bed, its OV been OV since my very first post, we made a push and had him thinking about success and a chance of winning a ring, but they automatically countered with you and the QB they signed, I can't even remember his name, are going to be the start of something special here for your home state bs and that basically ....ed on the fire.. But he didn't make an epic mistake, and BET put it the best. "IF" you are good enough the NFL will find you, I won a NAIA National Championship for Georgetown College in KY as a WR, and was in the same conference as Lambuth University who had a guy named Ron Dixon that was unreal, we beat them every game we played them but, I graduated and happy with my ring while Mr.Dixon was drafted by the Giants and took a kickoff back for a TD in the SuperBowl for the Giants against the Ravens.LOL, and when you watch the Super Bowl later this evening, University of KY has 2 starting LBers for Denver, Wesley Woodard& Danny Trevathan, along with a key TE for Denver Jacob Tamme... I don't think we have 3 playing in the game but one of the worst programs in D1 does.. Elam will be starting on Sundays without any severe injury. Just sayin, But still RTR LOL

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

This is true, but I think most people are thinking about how well he would play with 2 elite DT's on each side of him vs what he'll probably have at KY. There's no doubt if he's good enough, he'll make it to the NFL, but going earlier vs later makes a lot of difference in $$$. You mention that KY has 3 players in the SB, and that's great, but Alabama's last 3 starting NG's are in the NFL today. Cody won a SB last year, and Jesse Williams could get one today. (though he is recovering from injury and not playing). Josh Chapman plays for Indy and may also have a chance one day. I doubt any other school anywhere could boast that they had consistently produced more NFL players from the position he plays. In that respect, I believe that is his loss going to KY over Bama.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Not that anyone expected otherwise, but Elam has officially signed with Kentucky. Best of luck to him in Lexington.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.