RB Roc Thomas Commits to Auburn

CityCafeUsual

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 31, 2010
UPDATE FROM THE PLAYOFFS:
With about 7 minutes left in the game and Oxford down 25-18 to Bob Jones, Thomas was injured after being tackled. I'm not sure if it was his knee or his ankle, but he didn't put any weight on his left leg as two coaches helped him walk across the field to the Oxford sideline. He sat by himself on the bench for the rest of the game. Bob Jones went on to win, 28-24.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I just saw this posted on Facebook..I'm glad he should be fine..I never wanna see any of these players injured..

"Lb rolled into his leg and he turned his ankle 6:55 to go in the game. He got it retaped and tried to go late in the game but couldn't put any weight on it. Was able to limp out of dressing room after the game. He should be fine and be ready to play in Alabama/ Mississippi All star game in December. I will have update on career stats in a bit."

UPDATE FROM THE PLAYOFFS:
With about 7 minutes left in the game and Oxford down 25-18 to Bob Jones, Thomas was injured after being tackled. I'm not sure if it was his knee or his ankle, but he didn't put any weight on his left leg as two coaches helped him walk across the field to the Oxford sideline. He sat by himself on the bench for the rest of the game. Bob Jones went on to win, 28-24.
That's tough!

Sent from my iPhone

Zack

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 30, 2012
Roc was the first recruit Lane Kiffin visited today per:

Tim Watts@TimWatts_BOL 28m
Dead period ended today and 1st recruit Lane Kiffin sees is AU recruit Roc Thomas. As if recruiting wasn't real enough. Here we go. #Bama

Do we have any shot with him? It would be nice to get a guy like this since we missed on LF.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Roc certainly wanted to come to Alabama, but given how Malzahn's offense exploded in the run game this year at Auburn, the fact that Tre Mason left early, and the fact that we clearly put him on the back-burner for so long, the odds of him flipping late are really low.

Not saying it can't happen, but I think this is basically just the staff kicking the tires a bit and doing due diligence. For all intents and purposes, I think we are likely looking into 2015 to get a tailback or two.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Roc certainly wanted to come to Alabama, but given how Malzahn's offense exploded in the run game this year at Auburn, the fact that Tre Mason left early, and the fact that we clearly put him on the back-burner for so long, the odds of him flipping late are really low.

Not saying it can't happen, but I think this is basically just the staff kicking the tires a bit and doing due diligence. For all intents and purposes, I think we are likely looking into 2015 to get a tailback or two.
We've got Flowers committed for 2015 and he's a very good player. I think the staff knew they could roll the dice because I think our RBs are easily our deepest position group and almost all were expected be back with the team for 2014 (a few transfers were likely though). I just hate missing on good in-state kids.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I always thought we were missing out on a good player by waiting on Fournette. I feel we have let the boogs gain ground with in state prospects because we try to recruit almost too much nationally. It means more to these kids to win for the home state school. By all accounts the kid had been an Alabama fan his entire life, but we made it clear we wanted a prospect that we had a less than 50/50 chance of getting IMHO. Hope we can turn him and get him here. We are a pipeline to the 1st round in case in case anyone hasn't noticed. The boogs, not so much.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I would love to flip him but think it is unlikely. I saw him interviewed after winning Alabama Mr. Football and he seems to be a great kid and would love to see him in crimson.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I always thought we were missing out on a good player by waiting on Fournette. I feel we have let the boogs gain ground with in state prospects because we try to recruit almost too much nationally. It means more to these kids to win for the home state school. By all accounts the kid had been an Alabama fan his entire life, but we made it clear we wanted a prospect that we had a less than 50/50 chance of getting IMHO. Hope we can turn him and get him here. We are a pipeline to the 1st round in case in case anyone hasn't noticed. The boogs, not so much.
This was discussed in a recruiting thread a while back.

It's a catch 22, but here's something to remember. We can win the state in recruiting every year (and have done that historically) but the real rise in Bama's success over the last few years under CNS is his ability to pull kids from places where we used to didn't have a chance.

That will probably mean we'll miss on a few state kids and Roc Thomas may be the poster child for this.

I hate it too. I hate he'll probably be successful at the Barn but he grew up wanting to play for Bama, but it's the price of going regional and national in your recruiting.

Edit: Maybe as RTO says we'll get him on campus and swing him back!!!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I say skip! Happy with what we have now and in the '15 class. Plus I'm still on the same thought that he stays injured too much. I know I'm probably the only one sitting in this class but that is my opinion. I'd rather go after another DB or S and go full force with Flowers and another one next year.

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013
Just wanted to add to this Roc conversation that things are up in the air rite now. Previously wen Roc was asked if he would official to Alabama, he said "No", but when asked today, he said that he doesnt know yet. He was also asked how hard was Kiffin recruiting him to get him on campus for a visit, he responded with, "HARD!". Im not saying that Bama will flip him or that he will even visit, but things are getting interesting to say the least. TIFWIW

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Just wanted to add to this Roc conversation that things are up in the air rite now. Previously wen Roc was asked if he would official to Alabama, he said "No", but when asked today, he said that he doesnt know yet. He was also asked how hard was Kiffin recruiting him to get him on campus for a visit, he responded with, "HARD!". Im not saying that Bama will flip him or that he will even visit, but things are getting interesting to say the least. TIFWIW
The Barners have to be worried taking into consideration recent history of the late flips. It will be interesting.

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013
The Barners have to be worried taking into consideration recent history of the late flips. It will be interesting.
They are getting worried, Ive heard that they are more confident about Roc than they were with Yeldon a few years ago (they pretty much knew the writing was on the wall that he was flipping to Bama), but their feelings towards Roc are that they will not be fully confident with Roc until the ink dries on the paper....

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
With the stable of talent we currently have at RB what are the chances of landing this kid?
prior to the Barn's successful year, I would've said 100% if we missed LF and wanted Roc next.... now, it will be difficult, but an official visit will go a long way....

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
They are getting worried, Ive heard that they are more confident about Roc than they were with Yeldon a few years ago (they pretty much knew the writing was on the wall that he was flipping to Bama), but their feelings towards Roc are that they will not be fully confident with Roc until the ink dries on the paper....
Throw in Kouandjio and Calloway and they should be in a full sweat.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.