RB Roc Thomas Commits to Auburn

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Re: Roc Thomas to Auburn

When an Auburn fan gets persnickety with me about how the Tigers beat Bama for Thomas, I simply tell that person to go look at Bama "depth" at RB and then look at Auburn "depth" at the position and tell me again why Roc chose Auburn over Alabama. Shut 'em up quickly.

When an Auburn fan gets persnickety with me about how the Tigers beat Bama for Thomas, I simply tell that person to go look at Bama "depth" at RB and then look at Auburn "depth" at the position and tell me again why Roc chose Auburn over Alabama. Shut 'em up quickly.
That usually does. Who knows though things could change...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

The way that he went after the Alabama fan on twitter makes more sense now. At that point, he knew he was headed to Auburn.
For that "fan" to have said what he did convinces me that it was a poser.

At any rate, the barn could vitrually guarantee that he would start as a freshman whereas we couldn't (and wouldn't).

We will be perfectly fine if we don't even sign a RB this year. :cool:

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning

For that "fan" to have said what he did convinces me that it was a poser.

At any rate, the barn could vitrually guarantee that he would start as a freshman whereas we couldn't (and wouldn't).

We will be perfectly fine if we don't even sign a RB this year. :cool:
Don't forget Bo is still expected to at least start out at RB.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

It is very troubling to see fans question the moves of the coach who has constructed the most dominant dynasty in recent years. Its pure luck. If Roc if in last years class, he has already committed by now. We have a logjam at the position on the team, with a back on board and possibly another. How many backs do we lose? Fowler? Any more? I hope the kid does well, harbors no ill will, and has an injury free career.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
We really are a spoiled bunch aren't we? I don't question coach nor do I worry about one player anymore. The fact is Roc has made the decision he feels best for his career and I wish him luck. Now, lets get ready for some football and Roll Tide!

BamaBoots

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Rocket City

Any possibility that Roc would consider a grayshirt. He has to know we are loaded at RB and it would only benefit him.:BigA::BigA::BigA:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

I didn't see this as a surprise. Although you hate to lose a kid out of your backyard, it's one player...that won't make or break us.

chains

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2009

I don't know if he did or did not but many on here did not think he did. Can you elaborate? Do you know Roc or someone on the staff?
I do know someone very close to Roc and he had a committable offer. He was suppose to announce for Bama at The Opening....something happened. Early playing time most likely had a lot to do with this. Auburn wanted him badly, not from just an athlete point but for a PR standpoint. He may flip...he is pretty immature.

bamajag600

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2006
Hawaii

I'm a casual recruiting follower, but the article about Roc's rant at the "fan" got me interested the ask.fm site. That site allows people to ask you questions anonymously that you can then answer, and apparently all the questions/comments are visible to everyone even if they are inappropriate.

Not a big deal if you’re Joe Blow, but if you are a high profile recruit, this just seems like unnecessary garbage to deal with. The recruiting process is different for everyone, but for some of these kids it really is stressful and opening yourself up to dealing with idiots doesn't make it any easier.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I'm a casual recruiting follower, but the article about Roc's rant at the "fan" got me interested the ask.fm site. That site allows people to ask you questions anonymously that you can then answer, and apparently all the questions/comments are visible to everyone even if they are inappropriate.

Not a big deal if you’re Joe Blow, but if you are a high profile recruit, this just seems like unnecessary garbage to deal with. The recruiting process is different for everyone, but for some of these kids it really is stressful and opening yourself up to dealing with idiots doesn't make it any easier.
I'm 22 and big into social media. However, I find the ask.fm site to be pretty dumb. The number of players and recruits that use the site is fairly high (or at least seems that way). Of course, it all starts out to be for their friends but undoubtedly turns into a way for fans to ask ridiculous questions.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Kind of had to see this one coming. I hate it, and FWIW I do think Auburn is getting a fine player, but this is a calculated decision on the part of the staff. We are essentially going all-in on Fournette at tailback and allocating attention for all other scholarships to other positions.

What are our chances of getting Fournette? Probably not all that high, barring an(other) offensive implosion from LSU, and even then there is still a very, very strong chance that he ends up in Baton Rouge. On the other hand, realistically what is the great need we have at tailback? Yeldon and Fowler will return for 2014, and even then you still have Drake, Henry, Tenpenny, Hart, Kamara, and Tyren Jones all with three or more years of eligibility remaining.

And that, just so you know, is the real driving factor behind our decision-making here. We've got several other areas on the roster that need to be addressed, i.e. OL, TE, CB, etc. No real need for tailbacks in this class, however. So, what do you do? You go big on the top dog, and if you miss on him, so be it. It's a luxury afforded to us by our depth at this point, and in my mind's eye it's not really a bad decision on the part of the staff.

Could Thomas revisit his commitment if we swing and miss on Fournette? It's possible, but I kind of tend to doubt it. I'm sure he feels quite slighted by our slow-play of him, and the allure of early playing time at Auburn will be difficult to overcome in the face of that.

RM80

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 24, 2011
Anniston, AL

Roc had a committable offer.
He could not commit if he wanted to right now. I live near Oxford and know he wanted to be a part of the Tide family but with bama slow playing him and his family members bringing up depth chart, it was a matter of time he would commit to AU. He would have committed to AU earlier but Saban had a talk with him before he did. All that did was prolong the obvious. It really doesn't matter now though,the RB position is loaded for years to come

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

I like reading all the posts here but you can't take everybody. Au has new coach, high expectations because he was the offensive cord when they won the championship Gus is a smooth talker,no huddle is a big thing now enough said.We all know what we gotta do!

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL

"Roc" Thomas apparently injured in the game last night in the 1st half against Carrollton, GA. Word on the sidelines saying it may have been a concussion?? If so, this will be tough for his future as a running back.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.