Johnny Manziel investigated by NCAA (will miss first half vs Rice)

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Re: Johnny Manziel investigated by NCAA

So Johnny has his own attorney and TAMU has their own attorney. I understand the University needing one, but the individual--well, that is a little suspect to me.
I dunno, Belle - possibly in case the school's interests potentially diverge from his somewhere down the road?

You gotta figure, all he cares about is himself, whereas the school prolly cares about him - at least to the extent that he plays QB for them - but also about themselves in the event that they too ended up being looked at for some culpability...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Funny, I work in a field where I work with 'famous people' all the time, yet the only person I've ever asked for an autograph was a WWII veteran I met in Normandy this year.
Since you haven't asked for the autographs, think you could get them for me? ;):D

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL

Funny, I work in a field where I work with 'famous people' all the time, yet the only person I've ever asked for an autograph was a WWII veteran I met in Normandy this year.
I'm am so happy to hear that. One of my greatest experiences was meeting and assisting our veterans in Normandy several years ago. I tell people those are the true celebrities. The vet I spent the most time with had gone over the top at Pointe du Hoc, another had crossed Omaha Beach. You were lucky, there are very few left.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Integrity - If you have it, nothing else matter. If you do not have it, nothing else matters. I think that aTm (school and fans) just allowed Manziel to sell theirs for a few thousand dollars and a handful of wins.

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011

Did y'all look at the pictures of the house the Manziel's are selling, and the lavish furnishings inside? This is a house they bought just to stay in college station every now and then. I'd bet they had a consultant design, buy and install all the comfort I see built into this 'away place'. These folks are likely very accustomed to getting their way. I doubt daddy denied little Johnny spending money, but probably didn't approve of the drinking-partying excesses. So JM and Uncle Nate may have needed another source of money. Given the Manziel wealth, wads of cash should have been easy to camouflage.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Did y'all look at the pictures of the house the Manziel's are selling, and the lavish furnishings inside? This is a house they bought just to stay in college station every now and then. I'd bet they had a consultant design, buy and install all the comfort I see built into this 'away place'. These folks are likely very accustomed to getting their way. I doubt daddy denied little Johnny spending money, but probably didn't approve of the drinking-partying excesses. So JM and Uncle Nate may have needed another source of money. Given the Manziel wealth, wads of cash should have been easy to camouflage.
Going to guess you didn't read Wright Thompson's piece about Johnny.

BamaFanOnBeach

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 15, 2007

at what point does the IRS get involved since I seriously doubt he is paying taxes on any of this money for signing things? Surely, they must be watching this too?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Remember daddy's quote about buying him the Benz so he wouldn't "do something stupid" to get it? I think this sort of thing is exactly what he feared. It also indicates that, lavish lifestyle notwithstanding, JM doesn't have unlimited spending money...

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

There is an oilfield up around Tyler called the Manziel field

Maudiemae

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2003
West Palm Beach, Florida

Remember daddy's quote about buying him the Benz so he wouldn't "do something stupid" to get it? I think this sort of thing is exactly what he feared. It also indicates that, lavish lifestyle notwithstanding, JM doesn't have unlimited spending money...
It may also suggest that he has worries about his son's maturity level, which would be a good reason to restrict the spending money. Immature folks frequently make bad decisions.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Integrity - If you have it, nothing else matter. If you do not have it, nothing else matters. I think that aTm (school and fans) just allowed Manziel to sell theirs for a few thousand dollars and a handful of wins.
It is especially concerning considering TAMU is a respected officers corp university. You think they'd know a thing or two about concepts such as honor and integrity. Sometimes what you can legally get away with is neither honorable nor exuding integrity. Every major football program has had these moments - including our own - but the dissonance just strikes me as a little odd in this case.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Since you haven't asked for the autographs, think you could get them for me? ;):D
I have to admit the following! I would NEVER ask anyone for an autograph! Does that mean that their stuff doesn't stink. Does that mean they are
super human or gods on earth. I can live without anyone's autograph.

I just don't understand the crazy people who want them.

Now, I do like someone's autograph on a check made out for me, but only if they owe me.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

@schadjoe

Johnny Manziel's attorney tells Colin Cowherd he's seen what NCAA has and feels confident he'll play
Johhny Manziel's attorney says he cannot answer if Manziel has met with or requested to meet w NCAA or if he signed for free
Johnny Manziel's attorney says there is new discussion about what's wrong w NCAA rules since everyone's making $ off Manziel
Johnny Manziel's attorney said he cannot say of bank records etc. have been requested by A&M or NCAA
Johnny Manziel's attorney said he hasn't seen evidence Manziel was paid
Johnny Manziel's attorney says he is not concerned with friend Nate Fitch

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

@schadjoe

Johnny Manziel's attorney tells Colin Cowherd he's seen what NCAA has and feels confident he'll play
Johhny Manziel's attorney says he cannot answer if Manziel has met with or requested to meet w NCAA or if he signed for free
Johnny Manziel's attorney says there is new discussion about what's wrong w NCAA rules since everyone's making $ off Manziel
Johnny Manziel's attorney said he cannot say of bank records etc. have been requested by A&M or NCAA
Johnny Manziel's attorney said he hasn't seen evidence Manziel was paid
Johnny Manziel's attorney says he is not concerned with friend Nate Fitch
In other words, he has nothing to say.

No joke on the bad pictures intended, but those two lawyers Manziel's family retained remind me of the old saying in Texas: All hat, no cattle.

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012

Why are there so many Bama fans that worry about the excuses that other fans come up with? We play the team that is on the field and if we win, we win... end of story. I don't give a crap what other team's fans say, it will never change the scoreboard. So, whether JM plays or not doesn't matter at all to me, standing victorious as the clock hits 0 is all that matters.
I understand you 100% A win is a win and that pushes us 1 step closer to the goal of Championships. But, To answer your question, I believe it has to do with the fact that Alabama is rich in tradition and such a proud university. That pride runs deep and as Bama fans we have that pride running in us. We want everyone at their best when we play them. No excuses,no what ifs. You bring your best and we bring our best.Lets see who the best really is.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

It looks like Gene Marsh and his "give them everything they might want before they ask" approach has been replaced as the go-to guy in dealing with the NCAA.
It's interesting to me that, in all our run ins with the ncaa, we've cooperated fully. The one exception, of course, was Gene Stallings and Hootie Ingram telling them to pound sand back during the Langham affair. Of course, we were the first school to win an appeal after that fiasco too, if I recall correctly. Still, we cooperated fully during the Means affair, and the University took its medicine almost without question (The Cottrell lawsuit was completely separate from the University and the University purposely distanced itself from it). We cooperated in the book investigation. Almost without fail, in our run ins with the ncaa, we were praised for our cooperation. Yet we got hammered each time. But according to our rivals, we're the dirty school with the super secret shadow organization that influences the media, ncaa, and everyone in between.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.